doorskin
  • Help

Thread: doorskin

Default doorskin

hi there,i have to fit a new skin on a door of my R5 taken the rusted one of and prepared the door,skin fits fine.how do you bend the edge of the skin over the lip of the door without mucking the skin up ? there must be a clever way,or tool,i have no idea?i dont want to start before asking around one thing i realize.start to restore a car ,very soon i find,how little i know, thanks .cor

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

You just use the flat round end of a panel hammer, clamp the panel onto the frame in the right spot using a few pairs of mole grips, and use glancing blows across the edge of the panel.

However, if the edge isn't provided already bent over/creased, clamp the edge between two bits of strong angled steel in a vice (angle iron) so the line of the bend is slightly higher than the edges of the angle, then again using glancing blows, gradually bend the full length over by firm tapping along the length of the edge, keeping it as straight as possible (don't bend over small lengths at a time). When it's at right angles, fit it to the door and finish off as above. The trick is in the hammer use.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Probably a suggestion in addition to Stuey's remarks. You will also have to line up the door skin to match up the panel on the car, also so that the door gaps are even, and that the front edge and rear edge line up with the waistline and door button.

If a complete amateur, it may be best to seek expert assistance or give the job to someone who has done it before. From personal experience, even so-called experts stuff things up, but at least then you can tell them to do it again properly or tell them where to go if they keep doing it wrong.......

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Probably a suggestion in addition to Stuey's remarks. You will also have to line up the door skin to match up the panel on the car, also so that the door gaps are even, and that the front edge and rear edge line up with the waistline and door button.

If a complete amateur, it may be best to seek expert assistance or give the job to someone who has done it before. From personal experience, even so-called experts stuff things up, but at least then you can tell them to do it again properly or tell them where to go if they keep doing it wrong.......
    well that's what i am a complete amateur, lining it up will be a bit hard ,i'd put the door back in checked the gaps adjusted etc,then i put the skin on pressed and clamped it onto the door impossible to move fiitted on the door and it lined up well, took the door out with skin clamped on it ,and today it will be done lets hope the result will be good.thanks for you help.will send some pics , cor boon

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    You just use the flat round end of a panel hammer, clamp the panel onto the frame in the right spot using a few pairs of mole grips, and use glancing blows across the edge of the panel.

However, if the edge isn't provided already bent over/creased, clamp the edge between two bits of strong angled steel in a vice (angle iron) so the line of the bend is slightly higher than the edges of the angle, then again using glancing blows, gradually bend the full length over by firm tapping along the length of the edge, keeping it as straight as possible (don't bend over small lengths at a time). When it's at right angles, fit it to the door and finish off as above. The trick is in the hammer use.

Stuey
    well i did it. door skinn on the door,and finnished,did exactly as you told me lined up with car panels ,fits perfect.migwelded some spots and is ready to paint,altogether not to difficult thanks again ,cor .will send some photo.s

1000+ Posts

Good one! Look forward to seeing the photos...

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information