rubber bushes swing arm
  • Help

Default rubber bushes swing arm

any one an idea, how to go about the inner rubber bushes swing armR4 1963 ?i bought some but they don't fit ,i don't know what it's suposed to be.there was nothing there ,i made some pics.see if i can get them on here i realyneeds some help with it 'sofar i came up with nothing thaaanks cor

Advertisement

Post the pics of what you want to fix, and the parts you have. The job you are describing is one of the nastiest most difficult jobs to do on an R4, no, I'm not exaggerating! However some of the later parts do fit the earlier cars.

It is just getting the old bushes out, after releasing the tension on the torsion bars to remove the rear suspension, fitting the new bushes, then putting the whole lot back together so that everything is the right height and tension which is the difficult thing. The job is not one that is to be undertaken lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Post the pics of what you want to fix, and the parts you have. The job you are describing is one of the nastiest most difficult jobs to do on an R4, no, I'm not exaggerating! However some of the later parts do fit the earlier cars.

It is just getting the old bushes out, after releasing the tension on the torsion bars to remove the rear suspension, fitting the new bushes, then putting the whole lot back together so that everything is the right height and tension which is the difficult thing. The job is not one that is to be undertaken lightly.
    as you can see it's all apart ther is a pic cor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rubber bushes swing arm-frog.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by boon
    as you can see it's all apart ther is a pic cor
    here is one from a bush that doesn't fit regards cor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rubber bushes swing arm-5.jpg  

Looks like you have done a nice job of getting everything cadmium plated. OK, the near triangle shaped bracket (inner suspension bearing) at the top of the picture I imagine is the original bracket off the car. With the replacement inner bearings the rubber bush is bonded to the round protrusion which is currently bare on your inner bearing bracket. That rubber bush then has an outer sleeve which is bonded to its exterior. The outer sleeve complete with the bracket is then is pressed into the trailing arm, at the correct angle so not to prematurely damage the rubber bush from stress.

This is where the fun starts. I imagine that the old outer sleeve from the inner bearing is still inside the trailing arm. This old sleeve has to be removed. If you are really lucky, you may be able to knock it through from the other side. But it may be a case of hacksawing a slot into the sleeve and gently knocking up the edge as you cut in order to remove the sleeve without damaging where it is pressed into the trailing arm.

Now the bush in the lower picture looks like an oddball, or one for a later suspension setup. Also it could be an outer rubber bearing that fits inside the bracket attached to the chassis, but the scale looks wrong for it to be that bearing and the centre metal sleeve looks too long. The original sleeve being slightly shorter with a hole for the roll pin, and the later replacement being much shorter with no roll pin hole. Difficult to say from the pics, but try matching it up with your existing outer bearings for size. It could be some evo type bearing which has superseded all the others I've seen.

Rear suspension on anchor lever adjust R4's is a real pain. I've been looking for a nice simple later cam adjust setup so I don't have to replace the bushes on my R4 van, but it is a shame for the van to be currently hanging around. And I am now starting to run out of excuses to leave the van where it is.......

Default rubber bush

thank you ,for your explanation,after reading it again and again. and staring ad this,oddball,i think i understand. if i press out this portruding,thing on the inner b.bracket and press the bush [picture[ into it,[same size]then i have an inner b. bracket with bush as you describe it.i'm pretty sure this is it,you say this portruding ,tube, is part of the r.bush.thats where the rubber b. is on and is then one ,pressed into...etc.on the right angel.the bigger size on this odd ball is the size that fits into the tube and the whole thing can be bolted on the chassis,the outerbush is also as you describe and fits on the other side ,i know it's hard to see ont he pict.i have some more pictures, it is still a puzzle for me to send them.pressing those things together in the right angel as you say etc, is an other thing , for that i need some practical help ,at least ,now i know how to go about it ,i keep you informed.with some pictures you're a genius thanks again cor.boon

I think you have hit it there. That bush is actually the inner bush sans the triangular mounting bracket. I've never actually seen them come like that before though, but now you mention it the bush would be around the size of the inner bush I've seen mounted on the plate. So it is indeed a case of pressing out the old tube and pressing on the new bush. Hopefully the bush does hold in the bracket.

Attached are the instructions for rebuilding the rear trailing arm. The first four pages are from the workshop manual, and the last one from the parts catalogue detailing the exploded diagram of the bearings and how the parts were originally packaged. Hope they help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rubber bushes swing arm-r4pg1.jpg   rubber bushes swing arm-r4pg2.jpg   rubber bushes swing arm-r4pg3.jpg   rubber bushes swing arm-r4pg4.jpg   rubber bushes swing arm-r4pg5.jpg  

I think you have hit it there. That bush is actually the inner bush sans the triangular mounting bracket. I've never actually seen them come like that before though, but now you mention it the bush would be around the size of the inner bush I've seen mounted on the plate. So it is indeed a case of pressing out the old tube and pressing on the new bush. Hopefully the bush does hold in the bracket.

Attached are the instructions for rebuilding the rear trailing arm. The first four pages are from the workshop manual, and the last one from the parts catalogue detailing the exploded diagram of the bearings and how the parts were originally packaged. Hope they help.
    yes i believe that's right it is the same size ,i'd cut the round bit out of the bracket[hecksaw]and the bush will fit.pressed.i have to wait for the other swingarm to get back from electroplate-man could take a week,then i will do the same there,put them together with mock bushes of plastic for messurement and lining up ,folowing the instructions , i will have some photo's and will let you know,how it works out ,thanks ,cor boon.

Quote Originally Posted by boon
    i'd cut the round bit out of the bracket[hecksaw]and the bush will fit.pressed.
    I wouldn't cut the tube on your existing bracket, I'd just try pressing it all out initially.

I wouldn't cut the tube on your existing bracket, I'd just try pressing it all out initially.
    all the parts are back and last night ,set up the arm as described in the manual, with some plastic bushes as a trial that worked all right,but,screwed the whole thing on the chassis,and i must have done some thing so wrong!!!!the swing arm was in a nearly horizontal position.even though if you look at a R4 ,swing arm is on a position maybe 45 degrees from horizontal ?? so this morning going to look at this again.and hope to find out see you thanks cor

Thread Information