plip system
  • Help

Thread: plip system

Icon5 plip system

Hi Guys,
    anyone know how hard it would be too set up a plip lock system on our feugo 85, we dont have the remote and the reader module doesnt look intact between the sunvisors.
    Any suggestions if its worth trying too get it to work or not?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by feugman
    Hi Guys,
    anyone know how hard it would be too set up a plip lock system on our feugo 85, we dont have the remote and the reader module doesnt look intact between the sunvisors.
    You can still buy new remotes and receiver units but at NZ$800 there expensive. It would be a bit cheaper to just buy the remotes if you can repair the receiver but probably not worth while. You'd be more advised to install an alarm tied into the central locking. Half the price, plus protects the car!

Quote Originally Posted by nzrhysco
    You can still buy new remotes and receiver units but at NZ$800 there expensive. It would be a bit cheaper to just buy the remotes if you can repair the receiver but probably not worth while. You'd be more advised to install an alarm tied into the central locking. Half the price, plus protects the car!
    Do an aussiefrogs search on fuego plip, and you you will find some info about retro-fitting a modern system for $20 ish
    Jo

Default Got One!

Quote Originally Posted by feugman
    Hi Guys,
    Hi, Fuegman. My design cuts into the PLIP receiver's system but only to make use of the BC 327 transistors already there to do the switching of current to the solenoids (via a relay and thermal/inertial trip switch). You can still make use of the same design and build in the transistor circuit for perhaps an extra couple of dollars. I still think you can achieve the full UHF solution I have for under $35.
    Get the data here and here. Get back to me if you're interested in more details.

Icon9 Fuego IR PLIP Receiver Modules?

If anyone close to Adelaide or Melbourne (or maybe even Brisbane!) has this circuit module that sits between the visors, and doesn't need it, please let me know. My UHF design was all set to get fitted when the trouble and strife lived up to the label and buried mine amongst all the renovation stuff we're slowly working through. After 4 weeks, I still can't find it.

Another module will allow me to at least buy and wire up another one of the new UHF receivers to it and fit it again.

KenFuego, did you get yours in the post? Let me know when you're brave enough to take on some simple circuit construction instruction

Quote Originally Posted by The Gonz
    If anyone close to Adelaide or Melbourne (or maybe even Brisbane!) has this circuit module that sits between the visors, and doesn't need it, please let me know. My UHF design was all set to get fitted when the trouble and strife lived up to the label and buried mine amongst all the renovation stuff we're slowly working through. After 4 weeks, I still can't find it.

Another module will allow me to at least buy and wire up another one of the new UHF receivers to it and fit it again.

KenFuego, did you get yours in the post? Let me know when you're brave enough to take on some simple circuit construction instruction

I am very interested in your design. I have two units that I believe are functioning.Should I send them to you? I'm not sure what it is you will actually be doing to them, but am already geting excited about the thought of remote locking.
    Jo

Icon9 Check your function first.

Jo, I posted a simple procedure under "Replace that old PLIP with something that works!" using a ground wire so you can be certain your PLIP receiver (RX) chip still works. As you well know, and for the benefit of others, that thread contains a wealth of info including pictures and diagrams. Below the line is the original post for your convenience.

I'm interested in a PLIP RX that does work so I can finish what I started. I'm always going shoestring, so a generous local donor would be the ideal. As for using yours, I'm sure you'd prefer them for yourself as part of the "final solution", so I wouldn't presume to take them off your hands. I guess I could have people send their RXs to me and I would then order the bits and build them up into working sets, then send them back out, but the postage costs might add considerably to the final cost.

TIMK suggests we go into a partnership - I build'em, he fits'em at the dealership - but that still leaves out'a'towners in the cold. So I'm happy to arrange anything from the short list of required components, where to get them, and how to build it yourself (I'm doing this with KenFuego) right through to selling and fitting completed sets, as I would do with TIMK. Let me know how you'd like to do this, but check your RX modules' health first, so we know which way we need to build.

To do this, connect a wire to any vehicle earth point and touch it to pin 3 and then separately to pin 4 on the IC on the RX module. Pin numbering on ICs (integrated circuits) always start counting from the bottom left hand corner when the little notch on the plastic case is to the left and viewed from above. Counting continues counterclockwise and ends above the notch, so pins 3 and 4 are in the middle of the bottom row.

If the transistors are working, you'll be locking and unlocking. If they aren't, I can start designing the transisitors into the solution so we won't use PLIP RXs at all. It really depends on how many "customers" have non-working PLIP RXs.

The reason for my last post was really for the odd chance at a freebie RX from someone who won't be needing it. Even so I'll have to order another UHF RX module - JEEZ I hate that!

---------------

Hi, all. I spent a couple of minutes on the old PLIP receiver module and central locking switch and sorted out some basic logic:

PLIP Rx Pinout
    --------------
    1 = ground
    2 = one output
    3 = not used
    4 = the other output
    5 = not used
    6 = 12V

The connector on the back of the module is wired directly off the pins on the ...

Central Locking switch
    ----------------------
    1 = lock output
    2 = ground
    3 = 12v supply
    4 = illumination supply
    5 = unlock output

The real discovery came when I reverse engineered the old receiver module and found that pins 3 and 4 on the TEA 5500 IC were the outputs that drove the lock/unlock action. Each of these pins triggers its own BC327 transistor, which in turn switches a current limited (for circuit protection) 12V to the solenoids.

I scratched my head for a while as I touched 12V to each of these pins with a length of wire and got no activity - until I looked at my sketches a little more and realised the BC327s were biased to the 12V. The schematic for this is here.

This meant that (from distant memory) these were probably PNPs (makes sense being odd numbered) and needed their bases driven to ground. Sure enough, I raced back out and touched ground to each of these pins and I was locking and unlocking my car through the PLIP receiver's transistors!

So, to avoid boring you any longer...

if you have an idle but serviceable PLIP receiver still in the car, test it yourself and you may find you won't need extra transistors or relays at all!

I'm planning to wire the UHF module straight onto the PLIP receiver in order to piggyback off pins 3 and 4 on the old IC as well as steal the 12V.
    Last edited by The Gonz; 1st June 2005 at 07:30 PM.

You have lost me a bit, as my electronic knowlage is pretty limited.I'll do a test of the rx units tomorrow, and ,assuming they work, would like it if you could build what is required for me.I'd pay you for you time and of course postage and parts, and if they both work, feel free to keep one as a spare.I also have the sending unit,off another car.Is this any use in the sceme of things as it would be cool to keep things looking as original as can be.Of all the fuego's I've had, just one had the little smokey acrylic window, which I'm hanging onto like gold as it is mint condition. will be good when its use is more than just looks.
    I'll Pm you tomorrow after I test out my rx units.
    cheers,JO

Icon11 Original sending unit might suit!

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    would like it if you could build what is required for me.I'd pay you for you time and of course postage and parts, and if they both work, feel free to keep one as a spare.I also have the sending unit,off another car.Is this any use in the sceme of things as it would be cool to keep things looking as original as can be.Of all the fuego's I've had, just one had the little smokey acrylic window, which I'm hanging onto like gold as it is mint condition. will be good when its use is more than just looks.
    I'll Pm you tomorrow after I test out my rx units.
    cheers,JO
    OK, Jo, see what we can do. It would be good to get an image of the original sender, next to a ruler, to see if the new circuit can be made to fit inside. And the extra PLIP RX would be music to my ears.

I look forward to your PM. You know, I had the window and didn't think much of it; dropped it in some drawer somewhere. I'll bet I'll never find that again - the things we do!

1000+ Posts

Default Did get them

Gonz
    Just back from the country, yes I did get 2 plips and the receivers in the mail as supplied, but haven't "aroundtuit" yet, Retired life seems to be speeding by Not that I am a wizz at circuitry, but have a friend that would fully understand your circuit diagram - If you need me to send a chipset to modify, I would be happy to do that (it might then get done) I know that Australdi is keen to get her hands on this plip setup (Lazy sheila ) (In trouble again!! )

Ken procrastinating again.
    (PS my wife claims that I would give that lazyiest husband on TV a run for his money!! )

Dad; I heard that!
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

1000+ Posts

Default sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Australdi
    Dad; I heard that!
    sorrysorrygrovel,

Icon12

....you'll keep!

Aus
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

Sory for delay, non retired life is flying by as well.Got side-tracked yesterday by deciding to swap front end and drive shafts from one to another, and am racing to try and finish as I have to drive to work tonight. the bloody pin of the driveshaft has shat itself..
    JO

1000+ Posts

Default Fuego Driveshaft roll pins

Sory for delay, non retired life is flying by as well.Got side-tracked yesterday by deciding to swap front end and drive shafts from one to another, and am racing to try and finish as I have to drive to work tonight. the bloody pin of the driveshaft has shat itself..
    JO
    Jo

Ken at Caravelle should have new ones in stock - and I am sure that your Supply places should also have them in Sydney. Good luck.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    Jo

Ken at Caravelle should have new ones in stock - and I am sure that your Supply places should also have them in Sydney. Good luck.

Ken

I dunno.... but being a tightarse I would give the plip the plip and wire the central locking into a generic remote anti theft unit like the ones sold at K-Mart for not a lot of money.
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Have just had time to relax for the first time since thursday. Ken,the issue with my pins were that they just wouldn't budge. atacked the first one with the grinder,and won, but the drivers side has the exhaust stoping that meathod. I'm not joking, it took about two hours of un-relenting hitting with a hammer and punch before I got the first bit of movement.The Murphyism is that on the wrecks, they came out first hit with only an old nail punch, but on the good car, I had to butcher! luckily I havent swept well and a quick search of the garage floor reveald a pin or two.The end resault is a full front end change, without the cv grease and shocky oil, with R21 or 25 disks.
    I now dont realy have a supply shop in sydney any more.I'm pretty self suficient at the moment,andI rarely travel out to the places that supply parts and when I look through the reciepts left behind by past owners, and what prices have been charged, and the standard of work I'm finding,I'm not bloody likely to either!!Hows this for an example of my veto. a car that has been lady owned and serviced with reciepts,has 70% life in front disks, but totaly worn out disks,and less some,with a mm or two lip on the edge.Now about that plip.........
    Jo

Default Tightarses Unite!

Quote Originally Posted by BogMaster
    I dunno.... but being a tightarse I would give the plip the plip and wire the central locking into a generic remote anti theft unit like the ones sold at K-Mart for not a lot of money.
    Boggy, I agree with your sentiment, but we did the sums and this is still the cheapest - and most original - option if you don't already have a "remote locking-ready" alarm unit.

If you do, the research I (we, plenty of good folks helped with data out of manuals I don't have) did on the pinouts will serve to make your suggestion a goer as well.

Tadpole

Default plip chat

I probably have a spare - have pulled one Fuego to bits and got another to do. If you send a description I'll check it out. PS Vertigo makes the world go round

Tadpole

Default thats the brakes

[QUOTE=jo proffi]Have just had time to relax hat has been lady owned and serviced with reciepts,has 70% life in front disks, but totaly worn out disks,and less ===

I think I have some front discs - uwantme to cheque?

1000+ Posts

Have just had time to relax for the first time since thursday. Ken,the issue with my pins were that they just wouldn't budge. atacked the first one with the grinder,and won, but the drivers side has the exhaust stoping that meathod. I'm not joking, it took about two hours of un-relenting hitting with a hammer and punch before I got the first bit of movement.The Murphyism is that on the wrecks, they came out first hit with only an old nail punch, but on the good car, I had to butcher! luckily I havent swept well and a quick search of the garage floor reveald a pin or two.The end resault is a full front end change, without the cv grease and shocky oil, with R21 or 25 disks.
    I now dont realy have a supply shop in sydney any more.I'm pretty self suficient at the moment,andI rarely travel out to the places that supply parts and when I look through the reciepts left behind by past owners, and what prices have been charged, and the standard of work I'm finding,I'm not bloody likely to either!!Hows this for an example of my veto. a car that has been lady owned and serviced with reciepts,has 70% life in front disks, but totaly worn out disks,and less some,with a mm or two lip on the edge.Now about that plip.........
    Jo
    Jo
    I did two things when I started mucking about with the driveshafts on my cars, I bought two proper pin punches(straight ones) to knockout the rollpins I also have a piece of drill rod (silver steel) that is tip hardened and has a wide head, makes it easier to belt with the flat of a hammer. (a short handled hammer helps too!

I also have two long tapered punches (good quality ones) where I can get enough room to use them. Now for putting them back I have a couple of brass rods with a quarter inch deep hole in the end sized to the roll pins so they sit in there nice and steady while I pursuade them to return whence they came, makes the job easy.

Gonz I am sure that I can locate something to help out if needed

Ken

[QUOTE=Brianthepoet]
    Have just had time to relax hat has been lady owned and serviced with reciepts,has 70% life in front disks, but totaly worn out disks,and less ===

I think I have some front discs - uwantme to cheque?
    thanks for the offer, brian, but I have a set of R21 or 25 larger sized brakes that I swap from car to car, so I wont be needing them this time.Also, wont be needing a bumper that we spoke about,as that car has moved on.
    Jo

Default The PLIP is back!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    Gonz
    ...yes I did get 2 plips and the receivers in the mail as supplied, but haven't "aroundtuit" ... I know that Australdi is keen ...
    Ken, Di,

Great news #1:

It was time for me to fold down the rear seats today to bring home a fresh stack of bricks for the next bit of renovation (box around new bathtub in third, and last, bathroom) when I spy the corner of a sandwich bag peeking out from under the fold - yes, my long-lost UHF-modified PLIP receiver has returned like a prodigal son!

(My thanks to AussieFroggers who offered to send a spare PLIP receiver)

Great news #2:

I've signed up to YAAEC (Yet Another Aerospace Engineers' Course - can you spell MIL-STD 498?) in Melbourne 21-22 July. I reckon I could stretch my stay into a weekend and we could arrange something to get your PLIPs going! If this is a goer, PM me and we'll think up some arrangements -besides, I don't want to be stuck in Laverton on a weekend!

1000+ Posts

Default email sent!

Ken, Di,

Great news #1:

It was time for me to fold down the rear seats today to bring home a fresh stack of bricks for the next bit of renovation (box around new bathtub in third, and last, bathroom) when I spy the corner of a sandwich bag peeking out from under the fold - yes, my long-lost UHF-modified PLIP receiver has returned like a prodigal son!

(My thanks to AussieFroggers who offered to send a spare PLIP receiver)

Great news #2:

I've signed up to YAAEC (Yet Another Aerospace Engineers' Course - can you spell MIL-STD 498?) in Melbourne 21-22 July. I reckon I could stretch my stay into a weekend and we could arrange something to get your PLIPs going! If this is a goer, PM me and we'll think up some arrangements -besides, I don't want to be stuck in Laverton on a weekend!
    email sent - looking forward to meeting with you

Ken.

Thread Information