Help! Key Jammed in Ignition
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon9 Help! Key Jammed in Ignition Fuego 1984 GTX

yep key's jammed all the way in had NRMA out to no avail, been told I'll have to replace the barrell. any advice suggestions, is it possible to do it myself, know of any barrells floating around. anything!( looks to me that once the keys jammed, the barrel won't come out. Is drilling the trick?) or if anyone even knows a good mechanic in sydney it would be greaty appreciated

Advertisement
    Last edited by Matt Goodwin; 2nd May 2005 at 04:48 PM.

what are you driving, Matt?
    '87 Camry 2.0ltr injected---------5min 11 sec
    '85 Charade turbo 700cc----------5min 06 sec RESPECT
    '99 GX Impreza 2.0ltr-------------5min 02 sec
    '99 WRX w/ hi-flo exhaust------4min 46 sec
    Byrnesy's 172---------------------- 4min 25 sec

Tadpole

Default ah yeah... Renault fuego 1984 GTX

Sorry mate it's a renault Fuego 1984 GTX. Thanks for replying

from memory, you'll need to turn the key past lock position, towards ignition, and then you'll be able to remove the barrel. If it possible to turn the key(s), this might be an easy fix.I'll have a new old barrel in a few days you are welcome to.
    On the positive side, when you replace the ignition barrel, you dont have to do the door locks as well.
    Jo

This may or may not be helpful, depending on whether the key is just jammed in the lock and can't be removed or whether it is jammed and can't be turned.

I thought it may be similar to the old 12 lock and it seems to be. From reference to the Haynes manual:

1. Disconnect the battery.
    2. Remove the steering wheel*
    3. Remove the steering column screws and shroud.
    4. Disconnect the wiring plug.
    5. Turn ignition key to position 1 (Apparently there is a mark between the ACC and ON positions marked on the face of the lock, this is position 1).
    6. Unscrew the retaining screw then depress the pin with a suitable pointed instrument and pull out the switch. (The pin to depress should be visible through a hole on the steel tube surrounding the lock, usually about 3mm in diameter).
    7. Refitting is a reversal of removal.

* Check first by just removing the shroud, you may be able to get away with not removing the steering wheel to remove the ignition lock.

Hope this helps!

I have a brand new 404 lock with this problem... I'm planning to cut the casting that retains the lock apart so I can salvage the lock, they cost a fortune and it should be possible to dismantle it and remove the key.

No, don't ask... stupid stepsons strike again!

1000+ Posts

Default Fuego New Ignition locks

Matt

Brand New Fuego lock (Neiman) and assembly complete with two keys is available from Ken Bailey at Caravelle (14 Rowern Court, Box Hill Nth Melbourne phone (03) 9890 9061 or fax (03) 9899 5923).

From memory they weren't that expensive as I bought a new spare just in case when I had one play up (fixed that one by dusting some graphite into the lock) Also fits the R9, R11, R30, Espace as well as the Fuego - Valeo code is 2520042.

If the key lock barrel can't turn to permit the release of the lock assembly (by depressing the security lock pin) you can spring the steel outer casing enough to get the security pin clear of the retaining hole (after removal of the small securing screw of course) - brute force method. or if you have a replacement unit, you could drill out the lock barrel (laborious) and key.

If you can get the unit out intact, you can dissasemble the lock, of course re-assembly is quite dependent upon how skilled you are with lock barrels, with pins and springs going back in the correct order etc.

Hope this helps fix your problem.

Ken :
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 3rd May 2005 at 10:48 AM. Reason: to many ss's

Fellow Frogger!

I had the same thing happen to my R20, you need to remove the barrel and pull it apart. Mine needed fixing which cost as much as a newie from caravelle.

ie get a new one - about $50

If you can turn the key getting the lock out is very easy. You just remove the locking srew then wiggle the key as you depress the retaining pin - the whole thing then can be easily pulled out.

If you can't move the key the easiest method is the brute force technique....just force the housing apart to the point where the pin is clear and you can pull it out. ( eg: place a large screw driver in the split and lever the housing apart)...dont bother trying to drill it out or bashing it with a hammer.

Good luck.
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Tadpole

Default Thankyou

Thanks for all the advice! the key won't turn or budge at all, so i'll give the other suggestions a go this weekend. will let you all know how it goes. Cheers.

Is the Steering wheel locked as well ?
    If so try jiggling the wheel as you jiggle the key.

I also assume the key and barrel have been lubed with WD40 etc.

Tadpole

Default Success at last

Thanks guys, finally removed the barrel by grinding away the pin and then knocking the whole thing out with a cold chisel. Jo if you read this had a bit of trouble emailing you to find out about that barrel. my email address is mattygsemail@yahoo.com.au

1000+ Posts

Default Absolute brute force!!

[QUOTE=Matt Goodwin]Thanks guys, finally removed the barrel by grinding away the pin and then knocking the whole thing out with a cold chisel. QUOTE]

Boy that is the absolute brute force final solution!! I've usually just pried the metalwork apart with a broad screwdriver and another screwdriver to spring the tubing over the pin- but what the heck, that has cleared the decks anyway

Ken I hope that Jo can fix you up with a replacement barrel, otherwise I am sure we can find one - if you plan on using the car for some time, the new barrel option from Caravelle is there.

I have found that the barrels do tend to become sticky, but a good cleaner like Nulon carby cleaner and a good blow out with compressed air, then when dry a light application of graphite powder keeps the lock in good order.

Check the operation of your new lock before fitting..

Ken

Thread Information