fuego wheel alternatives
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default fuego wheel alternatives

i have a freind who needs a new set of wheels for his fuego to avoid buying metric tyres. are there any other common wheels (alloy or steel) that share the same stud pattern and offset?

and does anyone have any sitting around collecting dust?

thanks

Advertisement

Plenty of them in wrecking yards and tips...

Alloy wheels from Camiras, they just need a slight skim out of the centre hole and they go right on.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

gemini fit as well don't they ?

and if that's the case then so do mini wheels
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Geminis are 12" and 13", IIRC. Minis, of course, are 10" and there were 12" on later Mokes.

But more importantly, the Minis etc have a 4" PCD, shared with earlier A-series BMC stuff, Vauxhall Viva and 4-cyl Torana and Hillman Imp, while Renaults have a metric size, as do the Camira and probably the Gemini. It might be close, but it won't be the same.

Additionally, the modern strut-equipped front wheel drive cars have more inset than cars like the Gemini, one of the last examples of double wishbone front suspensions.

And wheel diameter is a salient issue because the Fuegos need something around 14" or even 15" to replace the TRX-sized wheels which are, IIRC, about 13.5".
    Last edited by Ray Bell; 30th April 2005 at 01:40 AM.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Geminis are 12" and 13", IIRC. Minis, of course, are 10" and there were 12" on later Mokes.

But more importantly, the Minis etc have a 4" PCD, shared with earlier A-series BMC stuff, Vauxhall Viva and 4-cyl Torana and Hillman Imp, while Renaults have a metric size, as do the Camira and probably the Gemini. It might be close, but it won't be the same.

Additionally, the modern strut-equipped front wheel drive cars have more inset than cars like the Gemini, one of the last examples of double wishbone front suspensions.

And wheel diameter is a salient issue because the Fuegos need something around 14" or even 15" to replace the TRX-sized wheels which are, IIRC, about 13.5".
    Shame about the Mini being non-metric as they slowly went from 10 to 13 then 15 inch for the last ones. The 1275LS had 12" on it too. A Fuego would probably look alright with the last of the 15" Minilite-caricature wheels from the last of the Coopers, with the plastic centres from an R18 steelie in the middle.

FWIW, many modern Hondas have double wishbones on the front.

BTW, what size wheels did that last Gemini have (FWD)? 14"? Pretty rare I suppose - they only sold about 26 of them...

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Default easy, cheap, technically sound

14" x 5.5" Clio steel rims fit perfectly, with no modification required to the wheels or hubs, and with the Clio plastic hub caps they look really good on a Fuego, with the Renault diamond in the centre for added appeal. Despite being steel, they are quite a light weight wheel, and suitable for 195/60R14 or 185/65R14 tires - either of which will give you something very close to the correct tire diameter for the Feugo.

I obtained five of them, complete with the hub caps, from the Renault dealer in Launcestion, $100 for the lot - left over from the alloy wheel upgrades done to the Clio Verve Packs.

Click here for a photo of the Fuego with Clio wheels:

Last edited by frogs4ever; 30th April 2005 at 10:58 AM. Reason: to add photo
    2004 Clio Expression Verve 4sp auto -
    1984 Fuego GTX 5 speed (now a write off) -
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

French cars, Australian wine.

I might have a set of sexy looking alloy wheels off my fuego for sale very soon.
    Re; the clio steel wheels, any idea how much they weigh in at?
    Also,do the steels come in any other size,perhaps off a scenic??
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    Re; the clio steel wheels, any idea how much they weigh in at?
    Also, do the steels come in any other size, perhaps off a scenic??
    I didn't weigh the Clio steels, but I can inform you that they didn't feel significantly heavier than the Lancia alloys which were on the car before - and I did compare the two side by side. My quess is that, with the plastic hub caps fitted, the steel wheels would not have been more than about 1 kg heavier than the alloys.

I removed the Lancia alloys because the stud pattern was 98mm, when Feugo's require 100mm. Obviously this would have been putting a lot of strain on the studs and made the wheels hard to balance properly once on the car. I don't know who's silly idea it was to put them on in the first place.

Sorry, I don't know anything about Scenic wheels.
    Last edited by frogs4ever; 1st May 2005 at 11:41 PM.
    2004 Clio Expression Verve 4sp auto -
    1984 Fuego GTX 5 speed (now a write off) -
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

French cars, Australian wine.

1000+ Posts

4 stud BMW 3 series wheels are 100mm PCD. Offset would be the issue, though.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Plenty of them in wrecking yards and tips...

Alloy wheels from Camiras, they just need a slight skim out of the centre hole and they go right on.
    You can see mine with Camira alloys
    here.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i know gemini wheels fit on mini hubs as my father in laws trailer has mini hubs on it with 10" mini wheels and as tyres are expensive for them i went and bought some gemini wheels for him and bored out the centre to fit over the hub and away he went with 13" wheels on it

the stud holes didn't need anything done to them
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Minis are 4" PCD... I don't know what Geminis are, but I'll bet they're metric...

Gonz... they're the same Camira wheels as my brother has. He's done something with the centre caps though, which are missing from yours. Stuck a Renault logo on them or something.

Default Photo of Camira Alloys?

... He's done something with the centre caps though, which are missing from yours. Stuck a Renault logo on them or something.
    Any chance of a photo? I might be tempted to search for a couple of replacement caps and do the same.
    Last edited by The Gonz; 3rd May 2005 at 11:33 PM.

I'll see what I can do...

Then again, maybe it's only in the planning stage so far. He's only got two of the wheels on.

They don't need any machining on one end of the car or the other, I've forgotten which, by the way. He actually had the hub machined smaller to take the wheel on whichever end it was, but in the meantime I'd taken one of the wheels to my other brother's place and his lathe easily took the small amount required out of the centre.

Anyway, I'll talk to him about it.

Thread Information