R 12 continued
  • Help

Thread: R 12 continued

Tadpole

Default R 12 continued

I recieved the 12 today. There is quite alot of rust in the body and a whole near the acclerater pedal. The engine is fine accept for the tubeing coming off the carburettor which has broke and been taped back together and a flat battery currently being recharged. the inside is as bad as the body with the top of the dash being broken and exposed wiring the gear stick boot thing has come away fron the floor the seats are quite ripped up and some of the rear pillar material coming off also the acclerator pedal is really lose.

I have aquired from Frank at Simonetta motors 3 doors and a boot one door has a tiny bit of surface rust. Im going back there too get a petrol tank and possibly some seats and anything else that can do some good for the car.

Advertisement

Does anyone know where i can get some floor for a 12 and a bonnet or what i can do too repair it. Also anyone tackled anything like this before if so please could you give me some help and pointers on how too go about repairing it.

Also any places too pick up parts for the interior anything at all really can do the car some good. The car is a Renault 12 1975 TL a first series is what STALLED told me.

Thanks for your help so far your feedback has been great and has helped me alot.

Cheers

Sounds like a total basket case sort of car. Are there any pictures detailing where the rust is that you can post up? As well as the other broken things like the carby? As this Simonetta motors place seems to be closing down, you may as well just mine them of all the useful 12 parts that you may think could be useful. Otherwise try the Pick-A-Part type wreckers for the bits you need.

With the rust it is probably best to ascertain the exact extent before starting work. The windscreen seal may have been leaking which causes the vent chamber to fill with water, and overflow into the car rusting the floor. There is a bitumen sheet on the floor that can also make the floor look superficially OK, whilst the steel has rusted out underneath, and is hidden by the underseal beneath the car. The windscreen leak can also cause rust at the base of the windscreen pillars (visible from the outside), if the rust is here this can cause the door pillars to fill with water and leak inside the car then rust the top of the sills out. Door pillar rust is nasty as it usually is unseen until it pops through. It can also be difficult to repair. These stories sound nasty, but are likely worst case scenario, however there are some horror stories when it comes to rust and Renaultís. For the patch panels it may be easiest to cut them out from a car at the wreckers which has a good floor, cut them too large and then trim them to size before mig welding them into your car.

For the dash, that is the usual sort of condition for the early type dash. The sun affects the plastic and it turns into confetti. However the dash is secured by steel brackets to the side pillars and the front of the dash is a sheet steel piece, so the dash wonít collapse it just looks bad. It can be covered by a carpet mat. Alternatively, you could obtain a later model 12 1.4 or Virage dash (and parcel shelf for the glove box), these are made from soft cushy rubber and donít deteriorate in the sun as badly. Make sure you also obtain the Virage dash wiring loom, the heater tap from under the bonnet, and speedo cable as these also changed on the later dash.

Seats, being a TL it probably has the low back seats with the useless head restraints, probably better to upgrade to the later tombstone seats fitted to the GL, 1.4 and Virage in the rebuild. If you are lucky you may find a set in cloth (only available in pale green and brown).

Tadpole

yea its those low back front seats and i saw some surface rust around the windshield. I intend too strip the whole car down too a hul n repair as much as possible. Im going too Simonetta too collect more parts for it. I will try and get photos up soon thanks

I have complete rear seat in good nick tan colour for TL model. You can have it but its in Melbourne!!

Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Keithturbo
    yea its those low back front seats and i saw some surface rust around the windshield. I intend too strip the whole car down too a hul n repair as much as possible. Im going too Simonetta too collect more parts for it. I will try and get photos up soon thanks

Default Renault 12

Sound like a scrap metal case to me.Restoratin is expensive especially rust repair, better to find a good body to start with plenty around. We have 2 renault 12 cars one is a shell the other a complete car. the sun has got to the dash and seats cracked but I dont think it is as rusty as the one you have. both 73 there abouts, we need to get rid of them if you are interested Located Griffith NSW. Ph 0269626224. Saw another one on a farm as well, similar model. Son has a renault 12 1.4 1977 model we bought with 118000km and the other cars come with it. Scrap metal guy will collect soon.

Tadpole

does anyone have a windshield for a 12 and also a bonnet?

Hey,

I had a quick look at the car today and it sure is rusted out, I have only seen the outside but apparently there is a nice big hole in the floor. KeithTurbo has been given quite a few parts courtesy of Simonetta Motors! Apparently even a Webber Dual Carby setup, sure should be interesting!

When everyone is working on it, you can hear the rust falling out a mile away and I think the majority of the class is growing a stronger hate towards french cars ( dont worry ive allready started them off)

Anyways

Cyas Stalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Sounds like it may be worthwhile taking Jeffd up on his offer, or see what Simonetta can supply in the way of another shell. Thing is, if the rust is so extensive in the body, it may be more trouble than it is worth to repair, then there is the stuff which may be lurking unseen. If you are going to the effort of making a nice car, you may as well start with a decent shell which doesn't have too much rust.

Any details on if the car actually was a private import from Europe? If so it could just be embedded salt in the car gradually eating it away. See if the car has a square Australian Compliance plate under the bonnet, or the oval plate number will suffice to see if it is an AP car. It should have a date on there which will reveal whether the car is from the rusty or less rusty eras of production.
    Last edited by Simon; 4th May 2005 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Sounds like it may be worthwhile taking Jeffd up on his offer, or see what Simonetta can supply in the way of another shell. Thing is, if the rust is so extensive in the body, it may be more trouble than it is worth to repair, then there is the stuff which may be lurking unseen. If you are going to the effort of making a nice car, you may as well start with a decent shell which doesn't have too much rust.

Any details on if the car actually was a private import from Europe? If so it could just be embedded salt in the car gradually eating it away. See if the car has a square Australian Compliance plate under the bonnet, or the oval plate number will suffice to see if it is an AP car. It should have a date on there which will reveal whether the car is from the rusty or less rusty eras of production.
    Hey,

The car was made in france and assembled in Rhodiesia, could it of missed out on some rust proofing?

Cyas Stalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED
    Hey,

The car was made in france and assembled in Rhodiesia, could it of missed out on some rust proofing?

Cyas Stalled
    Possibly. Things like the trip over on the boat amongst all that salty water and humidity could have affected it. Also if it is a South Africa production car it is difficult to say what the assembly methods were like there and the conditions that the car was used in whilst it was there. Then again it could have just spent some of its life on the Australian coast. Just check out the viability of fixing and welding the shell, (is the project funded by the school or the student? Probably a silly question that!) it may be best to source a better shell if it is too far gone and before the project has gone past the point of no return.

Thread Information