front engine mount fuego
  • Help

Icon10 front engine mount fuego

hi everyone can i please have some help with my front mount on the fuego. i have changed the front mount only to have it snap again in two days. are there any tricks to get it centralised so it doesnt brake. do i need to centralise the other mounts or loosen them and jack up motor gearbox combo, i just dont want to make the same mistake and have to get a third unit regards tim kelly

Advertisement

Hi Tim,

Same, my new one broke about a week after I got a rwc for it. I'd say every Fuego owner has replaced them.

I don't think there is much you can do besides adding a mount on the back of the gearbox.

There should be some posts on some modifications some of the aussiefroggers have made to try and solve this problem.

I was driving my fuego on a broken front mount years since it broke 1 week from new.
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

Administrator

If you do a search on this topic you may find the photos Kenfuego took of the mount I fabricated (in about 30 minutes) for my Fuego.

FWIW it has been on the car for about 4 years including some motorsport activities and is still fine. In that same time I have never broken any other mount nor do I get the excessive axle tramp many other owners on AF seem to complain about.

If you have the tools, it would proabvly cost you about $30 in parts.

You should be able to see from the photos how it all works.

Default part no for mount

[
    thanks for all that info,can you remember the part no for the link you bought from ken and does it matter that it isnt bolted from the top as the photos only show a bolt through the bottom , perhaps this is my problem as i put a nut on the top and bottom thread of the mount thanks tim k

can QUOTE=mistareno]If you do a search on this topic you may find the photos Kenfuego took of the mount I fabricated (in about 30 minutes) for my Fuego.

FWIW it has been on the car for about 4 years including some motorsport activities and is still fine. In that same time I have never broken any other mount nor do I get the excessive axle tramp many other owners on AF seem to complain about.

You should be able to see from the photos how it all works.[/QUOTE]

1000+ Posts

Default Fuego fabricated front mount pictures

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    If you do a search on this topic you may find the photos Kenfuego took of the mount I fabricated (in about 30 minutes) for my Fuego.

You should be able to see from the photos how it all works.

Hopefully I can re-post the pictures of the front mount Richard Fabricated.

I tried but it just tells me that I have already uploaded them in the Fuego engine mounts thread - thread search should access them.

Link to Previous Thread

Fuego engine mounts

Click below for Photograph of fabricated parts on Richards Fuego

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/att...achmentid=2589

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/att...achmentid=2590

Ken.
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 26th April 2005 at 07:44 PM. Reason: add link to photo

A few weeks ago I removed my uprated front mount in preparation for the power steering pump that will occupy its space.

That was a mistake.

In spite of the newly fabricated passengers side mount whose load is now vertical and putting the mount purely into compression at test, the front mount is sadly missed.

I'm now getting axle tramp on wheel spin, which i never got before with my super mount and crappy PS mount

Whilst I will continue to call it a front mount, it is not really an elegant description.
    Front/side mount would be a better description, as that is what it is.

Why this might seem a small detail, but I'm working on the principal of replacing it by moving to the other side of the motor where the AC was.

The twisting forces the motor put on the mount are on a completely different plane over that side of the motor, so it will be interesting to see the difference re locating this mount makes.

Jo

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day timk,

this animal of mistareno's can be fabricated from tube and nuts & bolts and a suitable bit of rubber or that fancy stuff that Jo uses - your local all brands bits shop will have a great selection.

I had in mind to weld one up ages ago, one of those jobs that keeps getting postponed. Should have a total value of $5-$10 depending what's in the junk bin :-)

If you are reinstalling an original part don't forget to whack the bracket back into shape otherwise you put unnecessary stress on the new bit of rubber. The bracket is the right shape when a rod passed through the two holes is at right angles to the bracket arms.

cheers,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    If you are reinstalling an original part don't forget to whack the bracket back into shape otherwise you put unnecessary stress on the new bit of rubber. The bracket is the right shape when a rod passed through the two holes is at right angles to the bracket arms.

cheers,
    Bob
    What an unusual concept...reinstalling an OE part.

If the bracket is bending, the mount needs a rethink of design to remove that flaw.
    Jo

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Jo,

it's seems to be ok till the rubber breaks. Then the old lead foot whacks buggery out of one arm of the mount - there's a lot of force being generated at that point. Naturally, the more out of shape it gets the better the whack it gets cos the two arms are getting further apart.....

Modified system only uses one arm. There is no damage cos of the positive restraint afforded by the mod - the old one allows the mount to flail about when the rubber breaks, no restraint.

cheers,
    Bob

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    G'day timk,

this animal of mistareno's can be fabricated from tube and nuts & bolts and a suitable bit of rubber or that fancy stuff that Jo uses
    It was a long time ago (10+ years I think) but IIRC I just used a sway bar drop link (not from a Fuego as it had a smaller hole in the rubber) that I cut down and then cut a thread into.

I used the slots on the original bracket that bolts to the chassis to adjust the height so the mount wasn't under load at idle/light loads and there was no noticeable increase in NVH.

I think from memory that the hole in the rubber was a little bigger than the bolt, so it allowed slight movement up and down, but not much.

The mount outlasted the car without any problems. The car was used in a few Motorkhanas and the like and could be best launched really with a bit off wheel spin and it had little or no noticeable axle tramp. How much was attributable to the mount I'm not sure, but retrospect would indicate alot.

P.S - The badly sized flat washer is an optional extra

Many years ago I filled the voids in the original front mount with Sikaflex polyurethane rubber compound that is used to glue in windscreens on most modern cars, and found that it didn't break in the next 3 years that I owned the car.

I have seen R18 gearbox mounts fitted instead of the one sided affair that is used, but this required some exhaust work to clear the brackets.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Thread Information