Fuegos.....
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Fuegos.....

al

Default Fuegos.....

I've been tossing up the idea of picking up a cheap frog to use in motokhanas/autocrosses/trackdays, and yesterday was pointed towards the fuego by a mate.

A couple of quick q's...

1. How much do you have to spend to pick up a mechanically solid example? (interior/exterior not a bigger concern)

2. Do they handle well?

and finally...

3. Are spares still easily obtainable?

Advertisement

Basically i'm just looking for something fun that i can bash around some events in and not have to worry about.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by al_
    1. How much do you have to spend to pick up a mechanically solid example? (interior/exterior not a bigger concern)
    They seem to range from carton of beer level up to $3K plus for a minto example. Watch out for the original 340mm metric rims and tyres, they are a liability and a good bargaining chip. The mechanicals are quite bulletproof, just check when the cambelt was last done. It is the interior, stuck instruments and dandruffy metallic paint that lets old Fuego's down, they can look quite shabby, despite being mechanically tough.

2. Do they handle well?
    Reading what some people seem to do on AF's you wouldn't think so :-). As a road car I'd say they are OK, I've found the non power steer cars heavy to drive, so on a motorkhana I'd say they would be a bit of a handful. As a track or motorkhana car I'd say you would soon get bored of perennial understeer unless you started doing mods. Then there are the flexible engine and transmission mounts which may require beefing up for serious competition.

Very good parts availability, apart from some new panels. They are now Pick-A-Part fodder and places like Caravelle Imports in Melbourne have the full range of mechanical bits and pieces

Basically i'm just looking for something fun that i can bash around some events in and not have to worry about.
    I would have thought something like an old Pug 205 GTi may be handier and a bit more rewarding than a Fuego as a track/khana car. Then again the 205 would likely cost more to buy probably for that very reason.

Having had both a Fuego and a 205GTI, a cheap 205 at around $3500 would be much more rewarding than a Fuego. A 205 is just as tough, faster, lighter, parts easily available, with much better handling and dynamics in standard form than the best Fuego. The only win the Fuego has is its' cheaper starting price.

I competed for 5 years in my 205 in various club events, and was always amazed how well it made an ordinary driver look good.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Bugger all.

2. Do they handle well?
    Excellent, provided you run a good tyre/wheel combo, rather than the standard TRX wheels and tires. For my Fuego, I obtained a set of 14"x6" steel Clio rims, complete with nice looking Clio hub caps, for $100. They are a perfect fit in terms of centre bore and stud pattern, and are also said to have the correct offset. Make sure you use a good tire on the front - I used A539 195/60's - the rear's not so important. I personally found best results with around 34 psi in the fronts and around 27 psi in the rears. Set up like this, it was a hoot to punt around on bitumen or dirt, with very high grip levels, nice fluid steering, and beautifully adjustable rear end. These cars defy the laws of physics when it comes to handling balance - I've had the tail wagging far more often than front tires scrubbing - they are bags of fun.

Generally yes.

In addition, I would expect that, with some work, a lot of extra performance could be found from the engine, as in standard form they are in a very lazy state of tune and optimized for 91RON fuel.

Durability wise, the engines and gearbox's can take a real flogging, but take head of advice elsewhere on aussiefrogs regarding engine mounts, and lower wishbone mounts.
    Last edited by frogs4ever; 24th April 2005 at 10:57 AM.
    2004 Clio Expression Verve 4sp auto -
    1984 Fuego GTX 5 speed (now a write off) -
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

French cars, Australian wine.

al

you guys in the renault forum are so honest... If i asked that question back in pug land all you hear are (rose tinted) compliments...

Thanks anyway guys, point taken. I have a couple of 205s in the family and they are great cars...

1000+ Posts

Default Fuego track cars

Al

I think you will see more and more Fuegos being used for motor sport - there are several that are in process to be set up for track work, and many mods being trialled among Fuego enthusiasts.

A basic Fuego can be bought for between $600 to $800, but most need a good set of aftermarket tyres. Don't worry about the claim of hard steering for the non power steering model, with the TRX thrown away and a good set of after market non metric rims fitted and wide profile tyres, the non power steering model steers better than the power steering model.

For comparison my daughters non power steering car had the same fingertip steering feel as my own power steering model (it still has TRX fitted, but only for originality) Di's car on the other hand has positive steering AND excellent performance on corners, she has driven both setups and prefers the non power steering for its more positive feel and control.

If you look at reports from the social events calendar drives earlier this year you will see how that car and Mistarennos' car performed on that drive, particularly through tight corners.

With knowledge of some of the mods planned and tweeks to suspension, engine mounts and transmissions, I think we will see some amazing performances as these modified cars appear at events in the future.

There are also sites mainly in Argentina that feature extensively modded cars for road and track performance, but mainly using a slightly their GTA Max larger engine and things like nitrous oxide etc.

Australia is one of the few places that still has a good supply of used Fuegos' also Melbourne has the best supplies of new parts for these cars ( and quite inexpensive compared with some others).

Myself I just love driving my Fuego, in stock standard form, it has all that I need to keep my blood running hot!!

Ken
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 24th April 2005 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Minor missed words!

Al, I am still looking for a buyer for a stock 84 Fuego, (not the power steer) with 14" steel wheels / tyres... AND its red. (they go much faster)
    It has minor front-left damage in it, and will need a new bonnet, but wasn't a big bump. I have most of the parts needed for the repair.

Ken knows this car.

Its not that I don't want it, but I have another 84 and not enough room for so many cars.

PM me if your interested in having a look sometime. We can have a chat.

I have some online photos if you would like to take a look, and I am in Melbourne.

David.
    Last edited by vivid; 24th April 2005 at 09:47 PM.
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

al

Cheers for the advice ken and vivid. From what you said ken i think i should go and take one for a drive and make my own mind up.

Al
    If you go the fuego.....I'll race ya!!

Aus

....oh & whoever said stock standard they are set for 91RON....not true. The GTX was set for 97(super) but they run like a dream on 98RON and for track days etc I would never choose the power steer model...it sucks! (you lose half your turning circle to the hydraulics! not to mention road feel. The secret to getting the most out of the unassisted steering is to know the length of your car & never fear the loud pedal. P.S. Understeer is only a problem if you a) panic b) haven't got the b*lls to trust the car. c) or not enough grip d) way too big B*lls....otherwise called braking too late.
    Last edited by Australdi; 9th May 2005 at 02:36 PM.
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

al

Quote Originally Posted by Australdi
    Al
    If you go the fuego.....I'll race ya!!

Aus
    You're on!

But, what is the story with wheels for these jiggers? I've done a search, and found people say over and over that camira wheels fit, but i'm not a fan of the looks.

Are there any steelies that will fit in 15's? Is this the size to go for?

Icon14

I'm on 15's 205's & I love em!
    Talk to dad (kenfuego) about steels or alloys (not sure what size tho) I think he has some going cheap.
    I can't wait to have the time & money to do my rally car now...esp. if there's someone to race against!

Aus
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

al

I just got my new credit card in the mail so with a bit of luck i can start building up the one i'm planning on buying from your dad.... (Is there anything i need to know about it while he isn't around...?)

Australdi, what have you got planned for your rally foogoo? What mods help them get around a bit quicker?

....oh & whoever said stock standard they are set for 91RON....not true. The GTX was set for 97(super) but they run like a dream on 98RON:
    I have done in the past. And so did Renault Importers on Service Information note T 3/85 issued 23/7/85. "Renault Fuego all Australian versions Super Petrol or Unleaded. The use of ULP in Fuego is entirely at an owners discretion."

The Renault 20 with the identical head and the Renault 25 are specified for Super fuel only. This is because the Australian Fuego was a low compression version with 8.6:1 compression and the 20 was 9.2:1 compression.

So if the Fuego has been reconditioned with later pistons, or the head has been shaved significantly, then it will require at least PULP. But if bone stock, the motor should (and has been known) to run well on ULP 91 octane. For the benefit of those who have just tuned in as well, the Fuego, 20 and 25 have hardened valve seats that make it OK to use unleaded (PULP (at least 95 octane) only in the case of the 20 and 25)

....and for track days etc I would never choose the power steer model...it sucks! (you lose half your turning circle to the hydraulics! not to mention road feel.
    I would imagine this is because the power steering is higher geared therefore fewer turns lock to lock, but likely the same turning circle. I would imagine the non power steer Fuego would get a bit tedious on a track because of the amount of wheel twirling required. The turning circle for both cars appears to be 10.25 metres, the turns lock to lock for manual steer 3.72, power steer 2.89.
    Last edited by Simon; 10th May 2005 at 01:09 AM.

What mods help them get around a bit quicker?
    Probably just get it on the track ASAP, that way you can find out what is required, also if you like punting the thing around. I'd be starting with the suspension, once that is sorted then you can start thinking about twin Webers, or proprietary injection, 2.2 pistons and liners, cams and possibly 12 valve heads later on......

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    I would imagine this is because the power steering is higher geared therefore fewer turns lock to lock, but likely the same turning circle. I would imagine the non power steer Fuego would get a bit tedious on a track because of the amount of wheel twirling required. The turning circle for both cars appears to be 10.25 metres, the turns lock to lock for manual steer 3.72, power steer 2.89.
    Simon are you saying the steering is higher geared, or the gearbox?

al_, I have a fuego off the road (in addition to the one I am selling) with the intention of taking it on the track, but not to the extent of making it un-streetable. Tho this is a long term project, so that I can justify spending the money required.

Has the one you have bought off Ken a power, or non p/s model?
    Which one... what colour?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Probably just get it on the track ASAP, that way you can find out what is required, also if you like punting the thing around. I'd be starting with the suspension, once that is sorted then you can start thinking about twin Webers, or proprietary injection, 2.2 pistons and liners, cams and possibly 12 valve heads later on......
    I was thinking of dropping a R21 head onto the fuego block next, as its engine is (still) sitting in the car with its head off. I have an unused gasket kit from ken at caravelle, but can I use it if I put a 21 head on it? Will I need to change the piston stroke, or will the original fuego pistons be usable as-is... even provide the required drop in compression if turbo charging?
    Last edited by vivid; 10th May 2005 at 12:07 PM.