Clio Sport (172) MY2003
  • Help

Default Clio Sport (172) MY2003

G'Day All,

I drove a Clio sport that is forsale tonight. Noticed a few things and I was wondering what others had found..

(a) it seemed to have a very rough idle... well.. rougher then I'd of thought for a car with only 8000 k's on it...is this normal?

(b) on those really hot days in sydney... how did the A/C cope?

(c) the leather / suede seats... how easy to clean? maintain?

Advertisement

(d) adding cruise control ??? anyone costed this up?

Cheers
    Justin

p.s I fell in love with it pity the cup is a 4 month wait in delivery
    Pugsley The 1987 205 GTi Peugeot

Quote Originally Posted by Justin B

I thought the A/C held up ok in the scortching heat we had up here last summer - up over 42deg (according to the in car thermometer) at times... did an ok job but not as good as Mum's 98 Sub Outback nor g/fs 2004 Honda Jazz.

The Suede is actually alcantra - but is still great to sit on. The prob is you cant really clean it as such. I wipe it down with a normal chucks kitchen wipe cloth (of which I purchased a 20meter roll from supercheap specifically for car interior cleaning) slightly dampend with Armour All Leather cleaner (although there are better products out there). And i use the same product but more on the actual leather. Seems to keep it in good nick.

But I actually fret about my seats all the time - they are a real problem if it is raining or you are really really really sweaty.
    '87 Camry 2.0ltr injected---------5min 11 sec
    '85 Charade turbo 700cc----------5min 06 sec RESPECT
    '99 GX Impreza 2.0ltr-------------5min 02 sec
    '99 WRX w/ hi-flo exhaust------4min 46 sec
    Byrnesy's 172---------------------- 4min 25 sec

thank you for your reponse... interesting that you say that you fret about the seats....

1. I sweat alot...
    2. I have a dog...

It doesn't surprise me that you indicate that the car sturggled a little in the heat with A/C... many euro's do..

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbyrnes
    I thought the A/C held up ok in the scortching heat we had up here last summer - up over 42deg (according to the in car thermometer) at times... did an ok job but not as good as Mum's 98 Sub Outback nor g/fs 2004 Honda Jazz.

The Suede is actually alcantra - but is still great to sit on. The prob is you cant really clean it as such. I wipe it down with a normal chucks kitchen wipe cloth (of which I purchased a 20meter roll from supercheap specifically for car interior cleaning) slightly dampend with Armour All Leather cleaner (although there are better products out there). And i use the same product but more on the actual leather. Seems to keep it in good nick.

But I actually fret about my seats all the time - they are a real problem if it is raining or you are really really really sweaty.
    Pugsley The 1987 205 GTi Peugeot

I find the A/C fine in Sydney but my car has tinting which I think makes a big difference.
    '02 Renaultsport Clio
    '69 MGB Mk II (Group S race car)

Fellow Frogger!

I have only ever used a damp cloth to clean the interior of my 2001 172. Still pretty perfect actually, tho its only done 16k kms.
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    2001 Clio Sport 172 (23/85)
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

1000+ Posts

(a) it seemed to have a very rough idle... well.. rougher then I'd of thought for a car with only 8000 k's on it...is this normal?
    a) rough... hard to measure, but until its been driven for 10mins it'll be a little rough
    b) no issues with tint
    c) alcantara is great, damp chamois all thats needed, leather no issues, but i'm careful & dont get it dirty in the first place
    d) about $600-900 i think, Dave P (MY4) has it, so you might like to PM him.

Good luck!

As far as cruise control goes, I heard to stay right away. Apparently it is near on impossible to do it properly with the fly by wire - with the results being far less than acceptable...

Quote Originally Posted by PugS16
    As far as cruise control goes, I heard to stay right away. Apparently it is near on impossible to do it properly with the fly by wire - with the results being far less than acceptable...
    I would have thought the opposite would be true, provided it is factory option that is being fitted rather than some aftermarket contraption.

In the case of my Clio (1.4 Expression auto), most of what cruise control would need is allready there: road speed sensors, stepper motor controlled throttle etc. All that is needed is the interior controls and some software.
    Last edited by frogs4ever; 21st April 2005 at 12:06 AM.
    2004 Clio Expression Verve 4sp auto -
    1984 Fuego GTX 5 speed (now a write off) -
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

French cars, Australian wine.

Tadpole

Default Idle issues and interior finish

I currently drive the 2004 spec Sports and loving every minute of it!
    Regarding your idle, find out if the owner is running PULP (optimax etc) as the car relies on a high octane fuel for max performance, also if the car needs servicing.
    Secondly, The leather only needs to be wiped over with a damp cloth regularly and moisturiser should be applied on the leather sections quarterly.
    Alcantara is a man made sued which is resiliant to spillages, marks, stains and can be cleaned by using soap and water.
    The A/C works perfectly! I recently went down to the ACT with temps. 38 degrees and she ran perfectly.
    Cruise control is another question!, maybe if I had one, I may not have been booked speeding that same week end!

Good Luck

G'Day All,

I drove a Clio sport that is forsale tonight. Noticed a few things and I was wondering what others had found..

Cheers
    Justin

p.s I fell in love with it pity the cup is a 4 month wait in delivery

Quote Originally Posted by PugS16
    I guess your talking about aftermarket cruise control systems?
    My RSC has cruise control and it works a treat, up or downhill.

Cheers,
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

Quote Originally Posted by frogs4ever
    I would have thought the opposite would be true, provided it is factory option that is being fitted rather than some aftermarket contraption.

In the case of my Clio (1.4 Expression auto), most of what cruise control would need is allready there: road speed sensors, stepper motor controlled throttle etc. All that is needed is the interior controls and some software.
    RCS was never sold here with 'factory cruise'. It was put on by aftermarket companies - I know 3 people who've had it done through dealers, all with the same result of disappointment.

Thread Information