Clio sport / Clio sport cup
  • Help

Default Clio sport / Clio sport cup

G"Day all,

Advertisement

I'm seriously considering buying one of these puppies as I was very disappointed in the Focus ST170.

So.. Owners out there.. what can you tell me about them?

What has gone wrong ? broken ? relability?
    A/Con in the Aussie heat?
    steering? nice to feel / or too light?

What are the main differences between the Sport and the CUP? is the 182 that much better?

what are the build dates where it when from the sport 170 to the 182?

Any information would be fantastic.

Regaredss
    Justin
    Pugsley The 1987 205 GTi Peugeot

You had an ST170 and was disappointed? What was disappointing?
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    I'm curious also, what was it about the Focus that disappointed you?

The 182 Clio was released in Aust in late 2004 in two versions the
    standard sport and the cup. The cup has completely a revised suspension,
    bigger hubs, grey rims and Pilot Exalto PE2 (supposedly softer) tyres.

You can pick the 182's by the eight spoke wheels, if the standard wheels
    are still fitted, and the dual exhaust pipes, otherwise they look the same
    as the 172.

I own a 182 Cup and just love it.

cheers,
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

1000+ Posts

nothing major, a rattle here & there on a few on occasion, but solid as & of course pure driving pleasure!

ST170, well i been in Linc's & gotta say they're a solid car!
    interior isnt my style, but then you really cant compare it to a RS Clio/Pug 180, as its a comlpetely different car...

I've got an 03 172 which is fantastic I tried a St170 when i bought it and found it to be lacking compared to the Clio.
    Actually it was not lacking it was the extra weight that hurt it - same output + 250 Kg
    But as Nate said they are 2 very different cars the Focus is consireably larger and i don't think is as hard edged as the Clio - more of a cruise car that has some capability.
    But I have only done a short drive in one but thats my opinion
    Mike
    Road car :03 Monaco Blue RCS
    Which will replace the Datsun 180B SSS track car

They're not really direct competitors, but I guess they're pretty similar in price (street price, that is). The ST170 has really come on nicely with 18,000km on the clock now. It initially feels a bit softer, but get it going through some twisty bits and its as fun and safer than my old GTi6. It really is an impressive car, I think, but am always curious to here what other people think...

On the track, the ST's softer settings were immediately evident, especially compared to the 180. I've never driven a Clio on the track... actually I've only driven an RSC on 17s and was impressed with it's engine, but the 17s ruined it, IMO. But I didn't drive for very long, so barely enough time to register a firm opinion on it.

But on the road, I personally don't think you need anything harder than what the ST is at. I'm mightily impressed with it's ride and handling characteristics. I've never been in a car with such impressive turn in feel and combine that with a good ride. It's what you get with a slightly longer wheelbase, you'll never get that ride in an RSC or 180. But there's plenty of grins in both.

So what is it you're very disappointed in? As if you're disappointed with the ST's turn in, I doubt there's much that'll please you, to be honest! If it's the dash, then OK
    - Lincoln

Power... or there lack off.. it was really really yuk for acceleration on the freeway..

handling, and build quality, and drivability were great... sensational steering...

it just lacked power.... it was really really gut less

They're not really direct competitors, but I guess they're pretty similar in price (street price, that is). The ST170 has really come on nicely with 18,000km on the clock now. It initially feels a bit softer, but get it going through some twisty bits and its as fun and safer than my old GTi6. It really is an impressive car, I think, but am always curious to here what other people think...

On the track, the ST's softer settings were immediately evident, especially compared to the 180. I've never driven a Clio on the track... actually I've only driven an RSC on 17s and was impressed with it's engine, but the 17s ruined it, IMO. But I didn't drive for very long, so barely enough time to register a firm opinion on it.

But on the road, I personally don't think you need anything harder than what the ST is at. I'm mightily impressed with it's ride and handling characteristics. I've never been in a car with such impressive turn in feel and combine that with a good ride. It's what you get with a slightly longer wheelbase, you'll never get that ride in an RSC or 180. But there's plenty of grins in both.

So what is it you're very disappointed in? As if you're disappointed with the ST's turn in, I doubt there's much that'll please you, to be honest! If it's the dash, then OK

This was a demo? Depending on the miles, the engine is a bit tight early on. I can tell you that with a few miles on it, it really does rev quite freely. On a recent drive to and from Brisbane, it had no trouble on the highways.

If you're seriously looking at one and would like to see one with more miles on it, I'd be happy to take you for a drive in mine.

Just thinking about this, the 180 and ST both need a bit more revs and more revs than you'd be used to from a 205. The RSC and Xsara VTS would be similar to the 205, but might still feel revvy in comparison.

How much were you revving out the ST in your test drive? It really comes on at about 4500 to 5000 through to 7000rpm. Below 3500 it can be a bit sluggish... but I don't think it's too bad at all...not as nice as the J4RS in the GTi6/VTS, but nothing gobsmackingly bad...
    Last edited by GTI124; 19th April 2005 at 06:53 PM.
    - Lincoln

G'Day,

This has 12,000 k's on it...

I'd love to take you up on the offer as I think the Clio will be way too small....

I live in / around hurstville.

Justin

This was a demo? Depending on the miles, the engine is a bit tight early on. I can tell you that with a few miles on it, it really does rev quite freely. On a recent drive to and from Brisbane, it had no trouble on the highways.

If you're seriously looking at one and would like to see one with more miles on it, I'd be happy to take you for a drive in mine.

Just thinking about this, the 180 and ST both need a bit more revs and more revs than you'd be used to from a 205. The RSC and Xsara VTS would be similar to the 205, but might still feel revvy in comparison.

How much were you revving out the ST in your test drive? It really comes on at about 4500 to 5000 through to 7000rpm. Below 3500 it can be a bit sluggish... but I don't think it's too bad at all...not as nice as the J4RS in the GTi6/VTS, but nothing gobsmackingly bad...

Yeah, I know where Lugarno is. Are you looking at 2nd hand ones? I might be pursuaded to sell mine, if you're keen...
    - Lincoln

already wanting to sell it?? that doesn't tell me that you're that keen on it

I can get this 2004 one for $28k with 12,000k's on hte clock... the ST170 is no long sold in aust..

Yeah, I know where Lugarno is. Are you looking at 2nd hand ones? I might be pursuaded to sell mine, if you're keen...

Quote Originally Posted by Justin B
    already wanting to sell it?? that doesn't tell me that you're that keen on it

I can get this 2004 one for $28k with 12,000k's on hte clock... the ST170 is no long sold in aust..
    Oh not at all. I absolutely love it. I've got a child coming and with the additional costs, unloading a car would be nice to do. Not overly essential, but if the right buyer came along...

Is that from a dealer?
    - Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Justin B
    What are the main differences between the Sport and the CUP? is the 182 that much better?
    Both the basic Sport and the Cup model are 182's - same engine and in Australian spec same weight and thus straight line speed so close as makes no difference.

As to the differences, the Cup has stiffer springs and slightly different tyres, so handles a bit sharper and rides a bit harder than the base model. There have been lots of reviews of both types, but I've never yet seen a direct back-to-back comparison between the two. I've got a non-Cup model and it is an awesome car.

Quote Originally Posted by biologist
    I own a 182 Cup and just love it.
    There's nothing for it, biologist. You and I are going to have to swap cars for a week, drive them over our usual roads and write up our impressions!
    Last edited by scirocco; 19th April 2005 at 10:47 PM.

moosey

check out www.ozrenaultsport.com - heaps of info there on the RSC.

Quote Originally Posted by scirocco
    There's nothing for it, biologist. You and I are going to have to swap cars for a week, drive them over our usual roads and write up our impressions!
    Gee, you really think it'll take a week?
    What torture that would be....

cheers,
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

Linc, yeah I noticed that when I first drove your car it didn't feel like it had quoted power. I always suspected that the engine would free up after a few thousand miles, I guess I was right Yeah definitely agree about the turn in, easily the best turn in and ride of any fwd I've driven, and I've driven quite a few. But the best engine in any hot hatch I've ever driven has to go to the clio 182, packs a huge punch all through the rev range. I'll be coming up to Sydney in mid May just for the weekend but if you're not busy I wouldn't mind catching up for a beer and checking out how the st goes now
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Unfortunately I'll be in the UK for the birth of my child then! Sorry matey
    - Lincoln

Unfortunately I'll be in the UK for the birth of my child then! Sorry matey
    Nothing unfortunate about that! Let us know how it all goes and look forward to seeing pics
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Thread Information