broken clutch cable
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default broken clutch cable

The other day I was driving along in my Renault 19 and my clutch cable broke on me, leaving me stranded. I ended up having to get my car towed home as I was in no way confident enough to try driving on the freeway without a clutch. When I rang an authorised renault dealer to get it fixed, they reckoned they weren't allowed to do the work unless they replaced the clutch pedal as well because they take directions straight from renault whereas another dealer doesn't have to replace the pedal and they could just do the cable, however they reckoned that it would be a good idea to replace the pedal because the cable could break again otherewise. In the end, basically because I couldn't be bothered looking for another mechanic and waiting longer to get my car fixed and the pedal not being that expensive, I agreed to the new pedal as well, but the quote they gave for labour seems very expensive to me, for what the work needing done is, like over $300 not including parts. Is it just me or does it sound like I'm being ripped off?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by tluaner
    The other day I was driving along in my Renault 19 and my clutch cable broke on me, leaving me stranded. I ended up having to get my car towed home as I was in no way confident enough to try driving on the freeway without a clutch. When I rang an authorised renault dealer to get it fixed, they reckoned they weren't allowed to do the work unless they replaced the clutch pedal as well because they take directions straight from renault whereas another dealer doesn't have to replace the pedal and they could just do the cable, however they reckoned that it would be a good idea to replace the pedal because the cable could break again otherewise. In the end, basically because I couldn't be bothered looking for another mechanic and waiting longer to get my car fixed and the pedal not being that expensive, I agreed to the new pedal as well, but the quote they gave for labour seems very expensive to me, for what the work needing done is, like over $300 not including parts. Is it just me or does it sound like I'm being ripped off?
    I hadn't heard the one about replacing the clutch pedal and having replaced a cable on a R19 I can assure you that it is not a fun job but $300 for labour seems like a snake bite.

JYD

Fellow Frogger!

The routing of the cable is critical.
    If in the wrong position it melts near the exhaust......or gets e tight bend in another.
    The cables are light and the outer not rigid enough.

I made one out of a 504 hand-brake cable with better casing .

Thread Information