240 BHP Fuego
  • Help

Thread: 240 BHP Fuego

Default 240 BHP Fuego

If anyones interested in a good read, in Retro car magazine theyve got an article on a 'macca' Fuego with the 21T motor, front air dam, BOV etc. Made my mouth water...and all for 1000 quid. They say theyve got more power to come....i'd love to watch the face of the un-suspecting 225 Megane owner getting his doors blown off

There's also alot of 205 stuff and Delta Integrale v Audi Quattro

Advertisement

al

Quote Originally Posted by renaulturbo
    If anyones interested in a good read, in Retro car magazine theyve got an article on a 'macca' Fuego with the 21T motor, front air dam, BOV etc. Made my mouth water...and all for 1000 quid. They say theyve got more power to come....i'd love to watch the face of the un-suspecting 225 Megane owner getting his doors blown off

That would be the same one that was in last december's performance gti. That was a well cool fuego...

Contemporary reviews of the old Fuego Turbo complained of excessive wheel spin/tramp, and that was with a 1.6litre turbo. Hopefully they have been able to out-engineer the original design in that regard, or else I think they may be left sitting in tyre smoke whilst the RS Megane whisks away without drama...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Sounds good but can anyone get some pics of this thing. Would love to have a look!

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    Contemporary reviews of the old Fuego Turbo complained of excessive wheel spin/tramp, and that was with a 1.6litre turbo. Hopefully they have been able to out-engineer the original design in that regard, or else I think they may be left sitting in tyre smoke whilst the RS Megane whisks away without drama...
    Why do you think that? Is the Megane heavier over the front wheels or does it have traction control? My out-engineering would stop at 16x7 wheels...wider contact area and the bigger diameter would take a tad off the acceleration. Surely contemporary reviews of the 1.6 turbo (132 bhp?) wouldve had crummy stock wheels and tyres.

Bit of left foot/right foot prudence to be sure u at least leave the blocks at the same time as the 225, hit 3rd and wave goodbye at your mirrors

The Megane 225 does have traction control, but after trying it recently, I would switch it off, and use my foot to control the power.

I think the Fuego / R21T would be a good conversion, and like anything could be made to handle well with work.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Why do you think that? Is the Megane heavier over the front wheels or does it have traction control? My out-engineering would stop at 16x7 wheels...wider contact area and the bigger diameter would take a tad off the acceleration. Surely contemporary reviews of the 1.6 turbo (132 bhp?) wouldve had crummy stock wheels and tyres.
    I'm not in the habit of dropping great smokey burnouts, but I do seem to recall a certain amount of axle tramp the few times I tried. I would imagine that would be corrected with shock absorber modifications? So even with big tires, once the wheel starts spinning, you'd still get axle tramp? Or is it something to do with unsprung weight vs. coil spring tensions etc.

My R17 did it, and Dad's GTX Fuego does it (he tells me) and the reviews reckon the Fuego Turbo does it, so I'm thinking as they have a similar suspension configuration it may be inherent in the design. That's not to say it isn't correctable, but certainly it would seem Renault never focused on it.

Don't the lads who do burnouts for fun have some sort of extra "tramp bar" or something? (on live rear axles, naturally!)

I know the R25 has anti-lift/anti-dive engineered into the suspension, anyone know if the Fuego has the same?

RS Megane owners - do you suffer from axle tramp on fast take offs? Does the clever suspension help with that?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 240 BHP Fuego-susp.jpg  
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

The owners claim to use it for hill climbs, drags, track days and everything else. Torque-steer is only mentioned (and loads of it!). The car is heavily modified so stock suspension specs and characteristics go out the window
    Last edited by renaulturbo; 12th April 2005 at 12:55 PM.

Administrator

My R17 did it, and Dad's GTX Fuego does it (he tells me) and the reviews reckon the Fuego Turbo does it, so I'm thinking as they have a similar suspension configuration it may be inherent in the design.

I know the R25 has anti-lift/anti-dive engineered into the suspension, anyone know if the Fuego has the same?
    The 12's had dreadful axle tramp - felt like the front end was about to drop out..

The Fuego is alot firmer in the spring and damper rates and doesn't seem anywhere near as bad and far better than many other Front Wheel Drives.

I have 16X7 on mine and traction isn't nuch of an issue and I imagine you would have to do a pretty savage start to really get the thing to tramp. I can't really remember what it was like with TRX's...

At the PCCV DECA event a few years back I would give the Fuego around 2000 rpm and then just feed the clutch to the point of initial bite and then just release and accelerate at the same time.

Produced quick consistent starts on most surfaces without dumping sudden loa into the box or clutch. It resulted in slight wheel spin but no tramp.

Traction was so good that the Fuego actually equalled the best time on 1 and was in the top 3 on a few of the other motorkhana tests against cars running racing compound tyres and much modified suspension setups...

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    I have 16X7 on mine and traction isn't nuch of an issue and I imagine you would have to do a pretty savage start to really get the thing to tramp. I can't really remember what it was like with TRX's...
    Well, either Dad is lying or it was the TRX's I guess.

Wonder what they are using for a gearbox? UN1 with modified driveshafts I guess...

Well, either Dad is lying or it was the TRX's I guess.

Wonder what they are using for a gearbox? UN1 with modified driveshafts I guess...
    Ye thats what it has

maybe have to put this engine into your Fuego??
    RS25 Video

giving you abilities to do that with your Fuego

Roadshow
    Last edited by TheRealFrog; 15th April 2005 at 10:55 PM.

Default Copmuter and new design suspension do the trick

Most new serious grunt FWD cars the Engine management computer and the traction control work to limit Torque to the frount wheel to stop the windup and axle tramp.
    My 205 will axle tramp in the wet but its a straight Macpherson strut the Megane use adifferent setup as the drawing shows above spreads the load more effectivly.
    A FUEGO should handle torque more efectivly as the loads are over a larger area being double wishbone. the only thing I would do is replace the Bearing retaining bolts with UNbreakos the original ones shear.

Quote Originally Posted by AU-YT
    the Megane use adifferent setup as the drawing shows above spreads the load more effectivly.
    I believe the intention of that suspension design is to provide an independent steering axis, rather than compromising on the standard mcpherson strut design. It looks kinda cool, almost like a cheap way to get some double-wishbone style benefits...

Administrator

With regards to the axle tramp issue, Kenfuego reminded me of one reason why my car doesn't axle tramp as badly as most. Several years ago (so long and trouble free ago I have almost forgotten about it) I replaced the weak as pee front engine mount with a re-engineered item.

This mount has been in forl years with no dramas, and seems to limit engine movement under hard acceleration. The engine/gearbox mounts in a Fuego are rather soft and under the change of torque load when wheel spin initiates they allow the engine to move around quite a bit.

The new front mount may go a fair way to reducing this movement.

Thread Information