fuego elec window problems
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default fuego elec window problems

Does anyone know how to rectify a slow elec window on a fuego?
    the driver side is very slow to open / close though strangely seems to work fine on warm sunny days (pity we dont get many from now on in tas!) also dont ask me why but Id like to get the light wipers going too!!
    thanks simon

Advertisement

Administrator

I spray silicon spray down the felt window channel (with the window down obviously) every 6 months or so and that seems to keep them going okay...

Just spray a shitload down there and let it soak in.

Hasn't done any harm in 5 years and they still work faster than any other Fuego I've been in...

Not much to help that I'm afraid as it was a problem even when new. It comes from Renault using motors designed for R18 glass even though Fuego has glass 30% bigger and therefore 30% heavier. Silicon can help, removing door panel and spraying/greasing can help as well, but i found my Turbo with a new alternator has a lot more vigour than my GTX on the original, so power supply seems to have a bearing as well.

1000+ Posts

Default Fuego - sluggish window travel

Simon

I agree with Mistarenno, a silicone spray helps on the window channeling. I usually clean them first with a brush, then spray. The window wiring on the earlier models has a bigger core diameter and the winder motor seem a bit faster and stronger.

I just replaced the nearside door on my 1986 P/S model and as I cut in the wiring in the door panel there was quite a difference in the stranded copper, I connected up the wiring and Window switch, greased the mechanism, washed the window and cleaned the internal and external rubber.

When I operated the window it fairly flew up and down compared with my drivers side - much much faster than the old passenger window.

I haven't even given the window felts the silicone treatment yet so wasn't expecting performance like that!!

If anyone is changing a door over or removing and replacing the door panel standoffs there are a few little tricks that might make your job easier.

The only problem I struck is that the replaced lock on the passenger door will open that door but does not open the drivers door (nor will it lock both doors?) - drivers door lock still opens and locks both doors.

Ken

Ive got a R25 alternator in mine, pushing out 105 amps at redline.Makes a big difference to window speed.
    Jo

Tadpole

Thanks for the tips guys will strip the door again and silicone spray the channels will probably check the contacts / wiring too!
    simon

Tadpole

Fixed!! for now anyway,I cleaned the channels and greased them and generally mucked about with it and it goes up and down fairly smoothly now still a bit slow but I will strip the lot and do it properly when time allows,
    thanks guys

Thread Information