Renault Care Extended Warranty
  • Help

Default Renault Care Extended Warranty

With some of our Renaults approaching their third birthday and the end of the factory warranty in sight there’s been some discussion about the “Renault Care Extended Warranty” that can be purchased. Do people think that this a product worth considering?

I ended up at the dealer this morning (Laguna suddenly running roughly and the warning light that’s a picture of an engine all lit up – I’ll post diagnosis when it gets sorted) and I asked about the extended warranty. I was given a brochure which included the following:

“Your selling Renault dealer will generate a retail profit margin as a result of your purchasing this product. This margin will be a percentage of the retail price. Usually the margin is approximately 30 per cent of the plan price you pay, although the exact amount may vary from 0 per cent to 75 per cent, depending on the product. For example, for a plan price of $800 where the dealer profit margin is 30 per cent, the dealer will generate a retail profit margin of $240. These profit margins are not an additional charge to you, and are included in the retail plan price.”

And also

“Vehicle Distributors Australia Pty. Ltd. May provide your Renault dealer or its employees with other monetary or non-monetary benefits to reward performance. Performance may be assessed by taking into account the volume of extended warranties and other products sold or distributed by the Renault dealer or by the particular employee. Monetary benefits may include the payment of cash bonuses. Non-monetary benefits may include travel and accommodation, restaurant meals and tickets to films and other events, entertainment and gift vouchers, merchandise and other goods.”

Advertisement

This makes it sound like the extended warranty is an opportunity for the dealer to skim a little more profit from their customers. Not necessarily anything wrong with that, they have to make a dollar at the end of the day to cover their costs and stay in business. It’s just that I’m now wondering. Maybe the problem today will have some influence (but there’s been no other problems of note ‘til now) and the Laguna's third birthday is in November.

“Extra time” is $ 765
    “Extra drive” is $ 1045

1000+ Posts

Default Laguna warranty

With the Laguna that I purchased, I had the extended time version factored into the overall price I paid. Its still a low km vehicle though heading towards the end of its warranty period, so i figured it to be worthwhile.

I purchased one of those three Disc dialogys Renault "manuals" but it requires you to put in all the information pertinent to the make model and year - The disc throws up the BG01 and accepts the L7X engine designation but it wants the year code and and other informationj neither of which option on the disc match with the information listed for the Australian model. Also I can enter the 5 speed auto transmission, but it wants the model designation of that transmission.

I presume that as this was an English set of discs, the model year code and trans setup were done differently to our Aussie specs. Does anyone know the code for a 2002 build Laguna V6 in the UK, and the 5 speed auto transmission.

Without the full information, the manual can't retrieve all the information on the discs.

I always like to have a Factory style manual for my cars. I would appreciate the information if anyone can help unravel this.

Ken

Fellow Frogger!

All the numbers are on the car. You might just have to search around the gearbox to find the numbers. There shouldnt be any reason your car wont fit into the Dialogys data entry screens. Australia did not get any particular model that the UK didnt get.
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    2001 Clio Sport 172 (23/85)
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

1000+ Posts

Default Laguna II

Craig Thanks

Had another go at it in the meantime and used the Laguna II designation and that seemed to bring up and accept a lot more data, at least I can now dig into most of the data (the disc is dated 2003 so it should have the early tech service update bulletins etc.)

I sort of miss the traditional paper factory manual, as I like to know how the thing works.

This was one of the "cheaper" Dialogys versions available on UK ebay.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    I sort of miss the traditional paper factory manual, as I like to know how the thing works.
    Assuming you have the PC Java version, have a little hunt around the discs and you'll find some lovely PDF files.

You can print them off if you like. Be prepared to use a lot of paper and ink :-)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

My problem has been solved, a coil had failed. Under warranty Renault has the policy of replacing all 6 if one fails, to their credit. This would be about $900 in parts alone if I was footing the bill. The extended warranty is starting to look like an attractive option to take up.

If memory serves correctly, I believe Audi (therefore by implication VW?) had a lot of coil pack problems a couple of years ago, resulting in a few stranded angry owners around the countryside. IIRC, Audi didn't issue a recall, just advised the service departments to replace them on the next service...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Icon14 Extended time

I just bought it for my 02RSC
    I think it will need a fuel pump next visit.
    The dealer tried to fix the wont start first time cold problem changed the crank sensor worked one day. I have found if I turn the key to the on position twice it will start. I makes the pump run twice to build up pressure.

Default extended warranty

Quote Originally Posted by AU-YT
    I just bought it for my 02RSC
    I think it will need a fuel pump next visit.
    The dealer tried to fix the wont start first time cold problem changed the crank sensor worked one day. I have found if I turn the key to the on position twice it will start. I makes the pump run twice to build up pressure.
    just to let you all know the warranty is a good idea it is an insurance policy should anything go wrong. if you think of it this way it is well worth the initial cost as it covers all items covered under the manufacturers warranty.its not a psudo warrenty with lots of exclusions like some. but im no salesman just a mechanic

Thread Information