Should I trade my 180 on an RS Megane?
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Should I trade my 180 on an RS Megane?

6.5 seconds doesnt sound that much more impressive over 7.2 in a 180, but im sure it must feel substantial.

Does anyone have any links to mods for the megane turbo and do they take to easy mods well? (CAI, exhaust, chip, etc ect).

Advertisement

Administrator

I really think it depends what you want.

I have only ever gone for a short blast in a RSM225 but its a VERY different vehicle to a RCS (or the similar 180GTi)

It would no doubt be a great, quiet and luxurious high speed tourer but I didn't think the chassis felt all that active and involving.

That view was confirmed at the Calder Park F1 Day.

The Megane was only lapping marginally faster than the 182 (despite a long front straight) and was absolutely punishing the front tyres. The rear of the 225 seems to do nothing at all to assist the front end, leaving the front end to do the entire job.

It makes the car feel a bit big and lazy.

This may sound a bit absurd but I actually think that my Fuego (in its current guise) could've carried more cornering speed...pity about the straight bits

That said, the driver of the Megane could quite easily have a chat while punting the thing pretty hard as all he really had to worry about was understeer. The Megane would never catch you out but it would probably never give you a big buzz like a more 'active' car would...

BTW - Interesting to note that the Trophy edition of the RSM has a 77% firmer rear spring rate...

One would imagine that this would vastly improve turn in and make the car far less understeery...
    Last edited by mistareno; 7th April 2005 at 06:51 PM.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by smokey
    6.5 seconds doesnt sound that much more impressive over 7.2 in a 180, but im sure it must feel substantial. Does anyone have any links to mods for the megane turbo and do they take to easy mods well? (CAI, exhaust, chip, etc ect).
    Depends, do you want something that's quick, turns on a dime, give seat of the pants thrills on all corners, lets you feel every corner and steering input (stick with a 180 or a RCS), or something that's got grunt, a long 6th gear for cruisin (only pulling 2200rph @ 100kph), rides much smoother but has a feather light unfeeling electric steering (swap to the 225). They are two very different beasts .. not really fitting the same purposes. I wouldn't say no to either.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Fellow Frogger!

I want both hahaha. Perhaps the audi trubo is the best option. or even a standard WRX. Oh no I dont want to be another WRX owner, but how can the performance be beat?

yeah, what he said.

i think 6.5 sec for the 0-100km sprint might seem a tad optimistic.

both great cars and from what i read here on af and in the press, are very different cars, altogether.

i guess i would compare them in much the same manner i would with say camparisons for a wrx with a liberty b4.

the thread title is bait enough.

good luck with your decision.
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

do you need a bigger car? from what i've read the traction control kicks in again on the megane above a fairly low speed which would take all the fun out of it. the 180 should be more agile and fun to drive, but the RSM would be a good cruiser which would give you the occasional thrill up a mountain pass, but not an ear to ear grin...

But I'd still get one over a WRX though! Puke!
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Fellow Frogger!

well no point then upgrading the 180.

what about the audi a3 turbo?

hi smokey,

why is that you are looking to "upgrade"?

what shortcomings are you having with gti180 ownership?
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    But I'd still get one over a WRX though! Puke!
    Testify, link. Nice to see your taste in cars matches your taste in avatar...

I pretty much cant add much to what others have commented on the subject other than say; the thing isnt really a "sports" car of sorts. It goes like stink, yes. But it cant change direction like the Pug180GTi nor 182. It is essentailly just a megane with a good bit of poke in it. There is a lot of room for improvement in how it handles etc. as already mentioned and the revised versions comming out seem like they will seriously address these issues.

But if you get a blast out of a straight line runner and driving something very very different and innovative and tastful, then get the Megane. It isnt a bad option, really.
    '87 Camry 2.0ltr injected---------5min 11 sec
    '85 Charade turbo 700cc----------5min 06 sec RESPECT
    '99 GX Impreza 2.0ltr-------------5min 02 sec
    '99 WRX w/ hi-flo exhaust------4min 46 sec
    Byrnesy's 172---------------------- 4min 25 sec

what about the audi a3 turbo?
    what about the a3 turbo?

At least french car owners are open about their cars being poorly built.

If you want the bigger car, maybe wait for this?
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

If you want the bigger car, maybe wait for this?
    Or a golf gti

i agree - the golf gti will be an absolute cracker of an option if you wanted to go for something that doesnt have the razor sharp handling physics defying handling the 180 and rsc have.

cracking car, that.

Quote Originally Posted by pastpugdriver
    Or a golf gti
    Good car. Shame about the souped up Daewoo styling.

I kinda like the "WTF-edness" of the Megane
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Fellow Frogger!

No way, not a golf, dont like the looks. Audi any day.

Im bored with the 180, its just not quick enough anymore, and size is a factor, I want a 4 door, with nimbility (new word) and speed of the mark. coughWRXcoughHatchcough hahahaha.

When is the new golf due, i presume thats the 147kw version? I should pay some respects and check it out.

Is the megane turbo a 4 door car? Id rather the Megane over the others any day. One passed me on victoria rd today and it looked great.....It really stands out...

Icon10

No way, not a golf, dont like the looks. Audi any day.

Im bored with the 180, its just not quick enough anymore, and size is a factor, I want a 4 door, with nimbility (new word) and speed of the mark. coughWRXcoughHatchcough hahahaha.

When is the new golf due, i presume thats the 147kw version? I should pay some respects and check it out.

Last year I was looking at a new car and both these cars made it to my top 2 list. I loved the 180's looks and style but I found it just too cramped. I wasnted a sports car but with room to breathe, and a little lux. The megane RS was everything I needed. It easily out accelerated the clio and 180, and although cornering isn't the same as a 2 door hatch, it goes so well into them anyway. I was in the passenger seat in the Megane at the Calder Park day and I have to say that the stability control really helped the understeer. The car didn't feel sloppy at all. Best bet is to drive one a few times, get to know it a bit better. The price is probably the next issue. Its around another 10K on the 180 so I suppose you'd really have to like it $10000 more.

Good luck anyway
    Dave
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

1000+ Posts

Go for the cup version....

dont forget the BUCKETS of torque it has... makes it a real drivers car!

You don't like a Golf, but like the Audi? They're the same car! There's isn't an A3 with the GTI engine in it though, but I'm not 100% sure there, could be wrong. The Audi is an expensive option and I highly doubt the setup is as good as the GTI. I'd say get a Megane over an A3, myself.

If you want nimble then don't look at a WRX. They might be quick, but they're very toey, almost nervous at times, they've got bag loads of grip, but that doesn't necessarily make for a FUN car. Depends what you're after I guess, but I've driven WRXs hard and have never been that impressed. Not compared to the balance of a French car.

If you want more room and are looking at spending A3 money, then I'd be looking at the BMW 120.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Is the megane turbo a 4 door car?
    Yes it is Daniel. For someone who professes to be an enthusiast, you do ask some silly questions sometimes.

And no, it's not available with an automatic transmission.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Can you post some pictures
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

You don't like a Golf, but like the Audi? They're the same car! There's isn't an A3 with the GTI engine in it though, but I'm not 100% sure there, could be wrong. The Audi is an expensive option and I highly doubt the setup is as good as the GTI. I'd say get a Megane over an A3, myself.
    you sure about this?

the audi a3 looks a heck of a lot nicer IMO. i find the golf looks have not really changed that much. are you refering to the old a3 or the new a3 sportsback 2.0 turbo FSI and sportsback quattro 3.2 turbo?

which golf are you refering too? cant find a turbo version on the VW site.

I don't think it matters what specific model the car is, just that audi's these days are just overpriced VW's with a few tuning bit's on them, like a more open exhaust, tweeked computer etc, you are really paying more for the 4 "OOOO" on the front of the car.

If you like the styling of the audi "cool" you know you will pay for it, and I think with the brand new Adui A3 and Golf's we are still yet to see their full range of models, so even though there maybe some difference at the moment, I reckon there wont be for long.... if you keep your eye's on their OS websites....
    http://www.vw.com http://www.volkswagen.com

But in the end I reckon we are lucky to have the RS Megane 4door here in australia, I think it is $5.000 or so to much, but when the Golf GTI comes to the market which is also Turbo 4 door it will be interesting to see what Renault Australia does..... will we see a cheaper or more spec'd RS Megane to combat the new rival.

As one thing volkswagen seems to have in australia over renault is it's name and prestige that sells cars here in australia over renault who still has along way to go.... but it's slowly dragging it's self there.

I was at the Melbourne motor show 05 recently and as I was standing there just as two dudes were looking at the RS Megane and I heard them saying "hey nice car, cool, shame renault is owned by nissan" and they walked off.... Now I know that was totally wrong :-( but that was their limited understanding for a sporting renault.....

I reckon you should go for what your wallet will allow for, two door/four door, atmo/turbo, handling/highway crusing.....

If I had the money I would go for the new unreleased heavy rumored 4WD Megane RS ... yeh ;-) for the same price as the current RS Megane

you sure about this?

the audi a3 looks a heck of a lot nicer IMO. i find the golf looks have not really changed that much. are you refering to the old a3 or the new a3 sportsback 2.0 turbo FSI and sportsback quattro 3.2 turbo?

which golf are you refering too? cant find a turbo version on the VW site.

1000+ Posts

If you want more room and are looking at spending A3 money, then I'd be looking at the BMW 120.
    WTF?!? i'm amazed you raised this as a potential Linc...
    underpowered, overpriced, build quality questionable :|
    (and not to mention it looks like a HEARSE!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    (and not to mention it looks like a HEARSE!!!)
    Put your finger right on it Nate!
    I always wondered why I didn't like the look of the Beemer 120.
    Yeah, its just like a little hearse, funny that BMW would produce a car
    looking like that

cheers,
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information