Ye Olde Fuego
  • Help

Thread: Ye Olde Fuego

Default Ye Olde Fuego

Love the look of em... heard they go alright.. now comes the other side of the story...

Advertisement

Any well known issues? At the minute, I'm desperately trying to sell the 19 in favour of a fuego or a 21.

At the end of the day unless they've got an end of the world curse on them, it probably won't deter me any from buying, but I'd like to hear of any common experiences with them.
    Cheers guys.

Probably most things have been covered before, try these links:

Fuego purchase questions

Most of the mechanical things would apply to the 21 in the main as well. The only problem with the 21, apart from the lack of flair angle, is the relative rarity of body parts so few having been sold.

Tadpole

check the cambelt has it been replaced? does it have the original trx rims with michelin metric tyres on because these are impossible to replace and will need to to be refitted with mags or similar check the electrics thoroughly if most of them work its worth having (dont worry about light wipers these never work!)
    hope this helps
    simonfuego

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by simonfuego
    (dont worry about light wipers these never work!)
    simonfuego
    Never say never...mine still work fine...

Mine did too till they were severed off...

Default list of problems

Here is an exhaustive list of some problems I've had with my fuego's.
    Electrical. The earth conectors ofter stop conecting to the body.
    The carby idle solenoid conector can come off and earth out on the manifold causing the whole loom to melt .
    Water from a leaking windscreen can corrode and foul the mass of wires near fuse box.
    Windows can be very slow with dirty contacts.

Drive train. All my fuego's have leaked a bit of oil.
    Carby and egr etc difficult to tune and requires constant cleaning.
    All my fuego's have had gearbox whine above 80Km/h
    engine mounts will fail when oily or too old.
    EGR pipes can rust off and plastic damping valves crack.

Interior The plastic of the instrument needles is crap and will bend
    inwards with heat. the odometer gears have needed replacing.
    the plastic swithes surrounding the instruments can loosen in
    their mounts and look crooked.
    The heater control temperature slider is a weak design and
    breaks easily. the foam insulating the aiways is breaking down
    and coming out the vents.the heater fan motor is noisy and
    squeeks.The fabric of the carpets and seats is great, but the
    foam is starting to decompose. Often the seat folding lever is
    stuffed.The closed cell floor insulation will hold moisture for ever
    The mirror adjusters usualy dont move the mirror to where I
    want it to go. the boot plastic trim can smash if your load
    moves around.

Obviously,TRX metric rims will need to be replaced with 14-17 inch wheels, and the cam belt replaced at 70K,I think.
    I'm sure any car you buy will have some of these faults, but most are easy to fix, or ignore.I would stear well clear of a fuego that leaks ANY water in the front screen, as the car will stink,and have electrical troubles and rust, and the leak might be caused from accident damage opening up a seam or two.
    Hope I havn't put you off....Jo

Administrator

Here is an exhaustive list of all problems I have had with my Fuego in the last 5 years and 130,000 K

1. Altenator Voltage Regulator (on the day I brought it - possibly due to jumpstarting)

Icon10

Richard....you forgot to mention the auto park brake that failed leaving your car to go out unchaperoned.

Dead eye
    if you get a good one, you'll never regret owning a Fuego; no matter what goes wrong (and for the kms they do, that's not alot) they really are ALOT of fun to drive. Over the 13 odd years I had my first one on the road I had mostly only the usual suspects that needed work. (I clocked the odometer on this one & added a few thousand more too)
    tyres, brakes, clutch, shockers(front)
    (However after moving house & carrying bootfuls of redgum many many times the rears probably need refreshing too) timing belt, TDC sensor, rear muffler,(sounds better with a hotdog anyway!)filters, waterpump, engine mounts (yeah, they're dodgy)

the more unusual ones were front ball joint (LH) and the air reticulation hose (which is a $20 dollar part) falling off the air canister & the carbie freezing in cold weather....you'll recognise this one when on a cold night you suddenly start using MEGA fuel and dwindling power (the guage goes down in front of your eyes!!!) ; pull over, wait 10-15 mins then take off as if running Avgas!! If this ever happens just pull over, open the bonnet & re-attach the hose, simple! when you're aware of it! (NB make sure you check this first before any Mechanic advises you to get carbie re-built for the 6th time!!!! )
    hehehe...,once you know the little 'quirks' of the car, they're really quite reliable. Wish this forum & all it's advice & knowledge had of been around 10 years ago, & wish I had of sent my car to a Renault mechanic in the first place! I think most of us now know our cars almost back to front now.

When looking to buy also check for mould in the rear jack storage bin...it should be a dry area, except when it's carrying hidden drinks into Meredith music festival.

If you live in Melbourne, I know of a good one going cheap. (fuego that is.)

Aus
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Australdi
    Richard....you forgot to mention the auto park brake that failed leaving your car to go out unchaperoned.
    I need a Brain Engagement light, not a Handbrake Engagement light

FWIW - The only items I would class as non-maintenance items in that lot are the waterpump, TDC sensor and probably the Preheat Pipe (which tend to get stuffed by people squishing the end of them and then spontaneously self destructing soon after)

Default ??????

I,ve read enough posts to believe it happens, but I've never ran the car with hot air snorkle thingie,and have never had any icing of the carbie. Maybe it is a Melbourn thing, or maybe i drive hot enough, and within town speed limits most of time for it not to happen.
    Jo

1000+ Posts

Default Stuffed choke!!

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    I,ve read enough posts to believe it happens, but I've never ran the car with hot air snorkle thingie,and have never had any icing of the carbie. Maybe it is a Melbourn thing, or maybe i drive hot enough, and within town speed limits most of time for it not to happen.
    Jo

Jo

Nah, its probably that your choke mechanism is stuffed and doesn't react to the sheer volume of cold air flowing through the carby. When you see the carb "ice up" on a Fuego its pretty spectacular. I followed my son on a country Highway, it would run o.k. for about 20 miles then the exhaust would blow out thick clouds of black smoke and it would run like a pig.

Stop for five minutes and it would run perfectly which triggered the light bulb in the old memory bank!

B@gger to fix on the road though, I suppose you could disable the choke flap as an easy option Obviously no need in your case

Ken

I'm trying to get my head around this one. what actually ices up.Is it the choke,(Which has been circumcised from my car )or the whole carbie???
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    I'm trying to get my head around this one. what actually ices up.Is it the choke,(Which has been circumcised from my car )or the whole carbie???
    Jo
    Wow. Thanks for the feedback, guys. It's really helpful.

Australdi, think you could either post of PM me the details of that fuego in melbourne you mentioned?

1000+ Posts

Default Australdi/Fuego

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye
    Wow. Thanks for the feedback, guys. It's really helpful.

Australdi, think you could either post of PM me the details of that fuego in melbourne you mentioned?
    Deadeye

Di (Australdi) is currently offline except when she visits home, so won't get your message. I spoke to her and its obviously my red 1982 Fuego she is talking about.

It will be soon be eligible for Club limited Registration, is currently unregistered, but still has its rego plates attached, runs o.k. and was owned by a marine engineer who liked to keep it up to the mark and replaced most things with new parts.

Paintwork on the top ofthe roof and the bonnet is a bit faded in spots, but car looks o.k. presently standing on worn out TRX but I do have some camira steel rims (but it would look and perform better on a good set of aftermarket alloys)

Starter motor has a small fault and I would suggest replacing it with the longer, later electricmotor (pick a part). It will still start and run o.k.

Pm me with a phone number if you are interested and I will ring you and make arrangement to look over it.

Ken

Thread Information