Fuego missing when hot.
  • Help
    cam
    Tadpole

Default Fuego missing when hot.

My 1985 Fuego has this emission controls fitted, I can basically find where the hoses go, but I cannot find where the wires (on the 3 little solenoids ) come from, they donít appear to have power to them. Also where are switches 22 and 24 and relay 23.
    Iím having trouble with the car missing when hot (new plugs, leads, cleaned dist cover, flywheel sensor, compared the reading with another good sensor- ) Tried another electronic ignition. Taken the fuses plate out, cleaned all wires, pulled the big connector behind the motor out and cleaned it and any other plugs I can see. Doesnít seem to be fuel, cos when it starts cold, it runs perfectly, and sometimes when the miss stops, the motor runs perfectly straight away, (Like when a wire is shorting ) no splutter as with fuel blockage. Carby solenoids seem to be working ok, (can hear the click when wire is removed ) so Iím down to the emiss control sys, when should the 3 little solenoids have power ?

Advertisement

(How do i send a scanned pic of the book ?)

The missing sounds like it could be a dying TDC (top dead centre) sensor. Has all the symptoms, runs perfectly then starts missing as it gets hot.

1000+ Posts

Default Fuego engine miss when hot.

Cam

At least one of my fuego's often develops a hesitation as you are driving along and it does seem like an electrical miss, but what it actually is is minute blockages in the carby jetting - I can fix that with taking the carby plastic top off and spraying Nulon carby cleaner down the throat and into the two jets at the front of the weber, if that doesn't clear it I use a compressed air hose nozzle directed into those front two jets and Nulon and that usually clears it.

Have been going to fit a microfine in line fuel filter to see if that will permanently cure the problen, but when it works o.k. after then procrastination sets in (procedure take all of five minutes after all)

Another one worth looking at is the spring loaded carbon rod in the centre of the distributor cap - My 85 seems to wear this down fairly quickly and while it starts o.k. it runs badly under load. Unless you can find a rare place that still sells the carbon rod seperately you need to buy a whole new Distributor cap.

As Simon says, the intermittent fault from an on the way out TDC sensor will give a similar miss, but rapidly get worse on hot days - you feel like the motor is choking for or on fuel, then it will refuse to run.

Freezing up of the carburettor will cause similar halting, but the car emits big clouds of black smoke (unburnt fuel) and uses heaps of fuel.

Not sure the "solenoids" would have anything to do with the problem that is if the two on the carby are working o.k.

Ken

Have you considered vapour lock?
    If its going to happen its only when the engine is hot.

I also had a problem once with complete power drop outs
    where the engine just died completely then after a few minutes
    would restart fine as if nothing had happened . Frustrated
    the hell out of me until I ended up replacing the fuel pump
    and that fixed it.

Cheers,
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

Administrator

I thnk a bit more information may be required for a reasonable diagnosis...

When you say it is missing when hot, do you mean at idle it misses or it is missing across a wide range of engine speed?

cam
    Tadpole

Default missing info

Thanks for your replies Guys,
    I have tested the sensor (according to Kens posting re checking ignition system) and it seems to be within the measurements on the meter, I have also checked the sensor of another car and they are the same readings, I suppose to be really sure I shall have to try another sensor.
    The dist cap spring is ok, have cleaned the hole with a drill.
    Have not used Nulon yet.
    The missing comes in standing still when the motor warms up, idle seems to be irregular when it happens and when you blip the throttle it hesitates quite a bit. With the motor cold there is no hesitation at all and the motor runs perfectly, this is why I am thinking it might be something to do with the emission solinoids (3 of them on a plate attached near to the LHS front headlight)
    I cannot find where the wires (from these solinoids) go to, nor the wires from the sensor in the block just above the alternator, they may be tied into each other. I still have to find a way to send the scanned page of the booklet to this forum so you can see the diagram of the emission system.
    Thanks
    Cam

Administrator

From what you just described I would remove the solenoid grub screw and pull out the solenoid on the right hand side of the carby (looking from the front).

There is an idle jet fitted to the end of this solenoid that is removable.

Pull the jet off the solenoid with your fingers and clean out the jet.

Refit the jet and re-install the solenoid. You may need to readjust the idle mixture and volume. This will more than likely solve the idle problem and the flat spot between idle and primary circuits on the carby...

It is one of the more common faults on the Fuego carb and is a 5 minute job to rectify. Once cleaned, provided there is a new filter fitted, all should be fine for many tens of thousands kilometers...

Tadpole

A quick and very dirty fix that has solved some carburettor problems for me - on the rare occasions that I'm not imbibing the sacred LPG - is to remove the air cleaner, rev the motor moderately, and then whack your hand over the carburettor inlet. You get humungous suction that can often dislodge extraneous bits of dirt that are blocking airways or jets. Sometimes needs a couple of repeats.
    If you tried this when you are experiencing your problem, it might at least tell you something.
    The other occasions when my own motor has missed badly, it's been tracking inside the distributor. This is visible to the eye if you remove the distributor cap and look for spidery black lines on the bakelite. They clean off fairly easily, and you don't need to buy a new distributor cap.
    (All this has been on my Espace, which is an almost identical J6R motor.)

Thread Information