25 v6 TURBO OWNERS,HANDS UP!!!
  • Help
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Member 25 V6 TURBO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    WEYBRIDGE,SURREY,ENGLAND
    Posts
    70

    Default 25 v6 TURBO OWNERS,HANDS UP!!!

    i,am trying to find out roughly how many owners of 25 V6 TURBOS use this and other sites,i know that in auz you never got this car(i think!!)but its a 2.5 V6 TURBO,with a UN1 manual box(only way to get it)for a car its size its a bit of a beast,in the uk they are rare as most are bought cheap for the running gear tobe put into the GTA/KIT CARS,they where made from 85-90,but ended up with a price tag of £30,000!!!so was a little expensive,there seems to be a few N/A V6s over here but few TURBOS?????

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Member 25 V6 TURBO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    WEYBRIDGE,SURREY,ENGLAND
    Posts
    70

    Default

    just to add to this,is it possible to fit a gta v6 turbo ecu???if so will i notice a difference or is it money down the drain!!!!want to up the power a bit,have fuel cut out device/bleed valve,but haven,t fitted yet,with these,and a GTA ecu would it go well,standard is 11 PSI,will up to 14 PSI,what figures would i be looking at???

  3. #3
    Member 25 V6 TURBO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    WEYBRIDGE,SURREY,ENGLAND
    Posts
    70

    Default

    so has no one else got one of these cars???must be rare then,better get a few more coats of polish on it!!!want to know if the performance will be improved(or not!!)with a GTA ecu???

  4. #4
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,203

    Default

    You are correct that AUS never got the 25 V6 NA (series 1) or Turbo (in both S1 and S2). The V6 series 1 in RHD was a UK spec only car which as you would know has an imperial trip computer and MPH instruments. Australia went metric in 1973, so MPH speedo’s were not allowed by the Australian Design Rules after that time. As there was no RHD metric spec car early on I guess Australia missed out, especially given the small volumes sold would have made the necessary modifications not viable. Only about 14 25V6 NA’s in Series 2 form were sold in Australia because they were extremely expensive compared to the competition in the late 1980’s early 1990’s. Then the AUS distributor folded and the unsold cars were sent to New Zealand.

    For info regarding the compatibility of a GTA Turbo ECU with your 25T, probably contact Paul Sage on your side of the pond. He seems to be The Man when it comes to Alpine’s and hot Renault’s. This is his website: http://www.alpinerenracing.com/

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts Europa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
    Posts
    2,432

    Default

    It's all academic really, but I wonder if the ADR's would have accepted the speedo as fitted to the UK spec R25 as it has KM/H also marked around the edge of the (more prominent) MPH markings. Then again, the odo is still in miles...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

  6. #6
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    Then again, the odo is still in miles...
    Yep, the odo would have to be metric too. Then again that would just cause more hassles in AUS, as all the service interval documentation supplied with the car was only in miles, not dual miles/kilo's as on most of the other Renault's up to that time. To make it doubly interesting, the voucher book also included the more frequent service intervals for the diesel version which would cause even more confusion when a caring owner may have checked the book for when the next service was due.........

  7. #7
    farmerdave
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Yep, the odo would have to be metric too. Then again that would just cause more hassles in AUS, as all the service interval documentation supplied with the car was only in miles, not dual miles/kilo's as on most of the other Renault's up to that time. To make it doubly interesting, the voucher book also included the more frequent service intervals for the diesel version which would cause even more confusion when a caring owner may have checked the book for when the next service was due.........
    I've been trying to work the metric speedo one out, it seems that the only RHD trip computer available for the phase 1 v6 is a miles/gallons unit.
    Now this is not to say that a LHD one would not work, nor one off a RHD 4cyl model, but they all have different part numbers to each other
    suggesting some internal change to work with the sensor plate sender. Experiment in progress.
    At the time, did ADRs require catayltic converters etc?.

    Farmerdave

  8. #8
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by farmerdave
    I've been trying to work the metric speedo one out, it seems that the only RHD trip computer available for the phase 1 v6 is a miles/gallons unit.
    Now this is not to say that a LHD one would not work, nor one off a RHD 4cyl model, but they all have different part numbers to each other
    suggesting some internal change to work with the sensor plate sender. Experiment in progress.
    At the time, did ADRs require catayltic converters etc?.

    Farmerdave
    How would the computers be able to be altered with the fuel tanks being different sizes, the different gearing, wheels etc between the 4 and V6's? I doubt if the computers are programmable, so I admire that you are having a go and hope you are successful.

    The early batch of 25 GTX's were imported in 1985 pre ULP and catalytic converter which were required from 1/1/1986. These were sold through to 1987 when the unleaded version was introduced.

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts Europa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
    Posts
    2,432

    Default

    I could be wrong, but aren't the fuel tanks the same size? (I'm talking about the plastic tanks, not the early metal ones)

    farmerdave, I reckon a close investigation of the circuit board from a GTX trip computer and a V6i may reveal a wire link that can be removed/placed.

    I know, for instance, the cruise control computer has a pin that is earthed for 4cyl and non-earthed for 6-cyl

    And of course, one can change the time/temp display by rotating a wire link on the back of the display unit (24hr/degrees C to 12hr/degrees F)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

  10. #10
    farmerdave
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    How would the computers be able to be altered with the fuel tanks being different sizes, the different gearing, wheels etc between the 4 and V6's? I doubt if the computers are programmable, so I admire that you are having a go and hope you are successful.

    The early batch of 25 GTX's were imported in 1985 pre ULP and catalytic converter which were required from 1/1/1986. These were sold through to 1987 when the unleaded version was introduced.

    The trip computer gets its speed signal directly from the speedo unit, which is driven by signals from the sensor, this is independent of the gearing and final drive ratio. The V6i has 195-60/15 tyres, which were also fitted to the GTX. GTS cars had steelies and 185-65/14 tyres, but they don't matter because the trip computer was deleted as part of the poverty pack.
    The unit is physically different in that the LCD display has specialised signals (such as Km and L/100).
    Europa, thanks for your help. I'll keep you posted on the metrication.

    Farmerdave

  11. #11
    Member 25 V6 TURBO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    WEYBRIDGE,SURREY,ENGLAND
    Posts
    70

    Default

    you need a cat from 1/1/86???blimey,my V6 turbo is sept 89 and still has no cat(think they came in 90,after turbo stopped being made???)in the uk at the end the turbo was £30,000!!!my car is strange,its white(almost all where mettalic)and has cloth,not leather,but it does have the mega rare ergomatic(pump up)seats,i thought it was ex police???

  12. #12
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 25 V6 TURBO
    you need a cat from 1/1/86
    Yep, AUS went unleaded from that date, but older cars don't need to have them retrofitted.

    Quote Originally Posted by 25 V6 TURBO
    my car is strange,its white(almost all where mettalic)and has cloth,not leather,but it does have the mega rare ergomatic(pump up)seats,i thought it was ex police???
    Sounds like a good colour to have, at least there is no clear coat to go all dandruffy with age :-)

    As for the history of the car, you mention that you work at a dealer. Can you find out the original owner details from a search of Renault records?

  13. #13
    Member 25 V6 TURBO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    WEYBRIDGE,SURREY,ENGLAND
    Posts
    70

    Default

    i do have the history from new,it clocked up 83k in 2 years,but now only has 96k on it(genuine with all mots etc)when new it was some sort of lease car,and came from renault birmingham(very large dealership)but its white,cloth interior,and has had carphone etc fitted when new(still has small roof areial at back)and a few holes on console(have new console)will keep searching!!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •