More R25 q's: clutch release bearing
  • Help

Default More R25 q's: clutch release bearing

After tackling the flywheel bolts, I fitted the clutch release bearing to the gearbox. Now, is there supposed to be a clip, spring, bolt or something that attaches the bearing to the fork? The Haynes manual mentions something about retaining spring legs being forced apart when removing the bearing, but no pictures or other explanation. Oh, and this is for an NG3 box (cable clutch), not a UN1. The Haynes pictures of the bearing on a UN1 box imply that the bearing sits on the fork without any other clips holding it in place, but on my NG3 box, the bearing moves around a fair bit and there is a hole in each arm of the fork that lines up with holes in the bearing.

Any help graciously accepted.

Advertisement

Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Anyone?? I've been told by a few that the bearing doesn't use any clips and the force of the pressure plate keeps it in place. It doesn't move side-to-side but the fork can move in-and-out slightly when the bearing is all the way back on the guide tube. I assume the clutch cable is adjusted to take up this slack in the fork? I just wanted to confirm with someone before I put the box in and find out I'd left something out.

Richard
    - Richard

- 2.0L manual
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

I'll try and help with this one, never done the job on a 25 before, but had a look at a few piccies just now, and have a thrust bearing in front of me.

Both the Fuego and 25 NG gearboxes use the same thrust bearing, 7704 001 363. On the Fuego NG it has a spring which sits in the side holes of the fork to retain the thrust bearing. Looking at the 25 pic, the spring is deleted. The thrust bearing when looked at from above has a U-shaped clip, basically the rear of the thrust bearing bent round, on one side (the LHS, this being the passenger side of a RHD car!), this U-shaped clip sits behind the LH arm of the fork, so that the two arms of the fork bear onto the rear of the thrust bearing.

Hope this helps, otherwise probably bug Haakon, he probably would have noted how it fits when he pulled the gearbox out of the car.

Thanks for the reply .

Yeah, according to the Haynes manual, the U-shaped part of bearing is meant to clip the bearing to the fork - but on my box, the LH side of the fork isn't "wide" enough for it to clip on - there's about 5mm of space between the clip and the fork.

Seems odd that they would use a spring on the Fuego and not on the 25 - same engines and NG3 boxes aren't they?

I guess I'll have to bug Haakon about it tomorrow...

Richard
    - Richard

- 2.0L manual
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Simons reply sounds right. There was no clip on the bearing when I pulled it out, but as it sits it cant go anywhere. Guess reno found a way to save a few cents on production....
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Does this pic help?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails More R25 q's: clutch release bearing-bearing.jpg  
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Good one! Just what the Silverexec ordered!! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    Does this pic help?
    Sorry, not really... That's the pic in the Haynes manual of the UN1 fork which has wider prongs than the NG3 fork. The thrust bearing appears to clip onto the UN1 fork properly as Simon described, but sits loose on the NG3 type that I have. I've attached some pics of my box with the bearing in place and with it removed. It's a bit hard to make out but you might be able to see the extra space between the front of the fork prong and the bearing when the fork is pulled back all the way.

If Haakon reckons there wasn't a clip on the thing when the box was pulled out, I'm happy to go with that - as he said it won't be going anywhere, especially with the pressure plate against it and the clutch cable adjusted to take up the extra slack in the fork.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails More R25 q's: clutch release bearing-p1010012b.jpg   More R25 q's: clutch release bearing-p1010020a.jpg  
    - Richard

- 2.0L manual
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Ah I see, so it is like a gap between where the fork bears on the rear of the thrust bearing and the actual fork? I'm just wondering if as you say, with the pressure plate and engine installed, and the clutch cable adjusted it will minimise the lateral movement of the thrust, and that clearance just makes it easier to install.

If time is not an issue, I can check the clearance on an NG3 Fuego box. That fork is effectively a cable version of the UN1 fork though, rather than the 25 type fork but may give an idea if the close clearance shown in the Renault diagram is optomistic or not. As the 'box is in the deepest corner of the shed though I may not be able check it before the weekend.

that look fine Richard - there is only one way it can go in. Just one thing - clean up the excess grease, dont want it getting on the clutch plate and it will only attract dust anyway . Good thinking on giving the release shaft pivots some lube though.

I still have the gear lever trim for you - I will bring to the french car day for you, if you are going.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by silverexec
    Sorry, not really... That's the pic in the Haynes manual of the UN1 fork which has wider prongs than the NG3 fork.
    It's actually the pic out of the Renault Technical manual, but lets not split hairs! Obviously Haynes use a lot of the Renault drawings...

Attached are pictures from the same technical manual describing both layouts. Interestingly it would appear there is a spring fitted in this diagram. Whether that applies to all NG3 equipped R25's is another matter.

Sorry I didn't get this right yesterday, theres only so much you can do when posting to Aussiefrogs at work ;-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails More R25 q's: clutch release bearing-r25mechclutch.jpg   More R25 q's: clutch release bearing-r25hydclutch.jpg  
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    If time is not an issue, I can check the clearance on an NG3 Fuego box. That fork is effectively a cable version of the UN1 fork though, rather than the 25 type fork but may give an idea if the close clearance shown in the Renault diagram is optomistic or not.
    Thanks, if you can bothered digging into the depths of the shed , but I think I'm feeling confident enough to put the box in without the spring now.

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    It's actually the pic out of the Renault Technical manual, but lets not split hairs! Obviously Haynes use a lot of the Renault drawings...

Attached are pictures from the same technical manual describing both layouts. Interestingly it would appear there is a spring fitted in this diagram. Whether that applies to all NG3 equipped R25's is another matter.

Sorry I didn't get this right yesterday, theres only so much you can do when posting to Aussiefrogs at work ;-)
    No problems, I know exactly what you mean about posting at work... It's very strange that a spring was originally specified but is now not really needed. As Haakon said, probably cost-cutting by Renault.

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Just one thing - clean up the excess grease, dont want it getting on the clutch plate and it will only attract dust anyway . Good thinking on giving the release shaft pivots some lube though.

I still have the gear lever trim for you - I will bring to the french car day for you, if you are going.
    Yep, I'll clean up the excess grease before I put the box in, I think I went a bit overboard with it and hadn't bothered cleaning it up just yet.

And yeah I'll be at the FCD, hopefully with the 25 on display - that's my aim. Would much appreciate the gear lever trim as a nice way to finish the car off on the day!

Cheers,
    Richard
    - Richard

- 2.0L manual
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Thread Information