core plugs
  • Help

Thread: core plugs

Tadpole

Default core plugs

Hi, I have a UK based Renault Clio, with 1.2l type 'e' engine. It is leaking coolant from one of the core plugs in the cylinder head. The plug is tiny (1-2 cm). Anyone any ideas if you can buy these little rascals, and any ideas on how you replace them?

Ta,

Jim.

Advertisement

Default core plugs

Quote Originally Posted by the tinker
    Hi, I have a UK based Renault Clio, with 1.2l type 'e' engine. It is leaking coolant from one of the core plugs in the cylinder head. The plug is tiny (1-2 cm). Anyone any ideas if you can buy these little rascals, and any ideas on how you replace them?

Ta,

Jim.
    Hello Jim,
    My memory tells me that the small core plugs you mention were fitted to the PRV6 water pump housing. Your Renault parts man might find them in his Renault 25 V6 parts book. Just thought of something, check the V6 cylinder head on the exhaust side, I think they may have been fitted there.

To remove plug, punch a small hole in it and lever out without damaging the casting.
    To refit, smear gasket cement* on the plug and tap back into 'ole.

*Don't use Silastic or similar.

"Jim"? You wouldn't be Count Jim Moriarty of the "Fifth Foot and Mouth" who one time had a dalliance with "Spotty Minnie Banister"?

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

they are an odd size in the PRV6 heads

27mm from memory

i can check but it's dark outside and it's wet and well i'm very nice and comfy right now
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by the tinker
    Why not pop down to your local dealer and purchase it as a spare part?

If you supply oval plate details, I might even be able to give you a part number.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Default Core plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    they are an odd size in the PRV6 heads

27mm from memory

i can check but it's dark outside and it's wet and well i'm very nice and comfy right now
    "Rambo,
    Good memory, my Peugeot parts manual says 27mm for the V6 exh. side.

The core plug I mentioned isn't shown on the Pug V6 water pump, it has a spout instead for connecting to the inlet manifold.
    The injection V6 water pump didn't have this spout. Replaced by plug?

Jim, wouldn't your local "Halfords" or "Demon Tweaks" be of help?

1000+ Posts

Most core plugs can be bought as generics - for example, I bought the tiny ones for the R12 inlet manifold from Repco in brass for a couple of bucks. These might even be the same! They're about 15mm from bad memory.

Jim as suggested, Halfords or similar motor factors over there could help I'm sure. You only need the size in mm. Pull it out and take it in - they'll measure it with a vernier caliper.

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information