4cv steering pinion
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 4cv steering pinion

I'm still restoring my 4cv and my steering pinion is in poor condition. Are there any other models which have the same box? The supply of 4cv parts is limited and, even if available from France, it would not suit right hand drive.
    Any comments would be appreciated?

Advertisement

Default C'mon Renault fans.....

This is a sort of 'bump' for this thread.....

It was posted in the 'Cars for Sale' forum, thought it might get a better response here amongst you Renault folk... surely someone has some input.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

I know zip about 750's. But is the rack the very early type with the external spring, or the later type with the internal spring, the one with a flat sheet steel cover bolted to the case? If it is the later type, the rack pinion will likely be interchangeable with that from a Dauphine. As an alternative, if the rack is the very early type, will a Dauphine or late 750 rack interchange on the early mounting points?

Tadpole

Default 4cv steering pinion

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    I know zip about 750's. But is the rack the very early type with the external spring, or the later type with the internal spring, the one with a flat sheet steel cover bolted to the case? If it is the later type, the rack pinion will likely be interchangeable with that from a Dauphine. As an alternative, if the rack is the very early type, will a Dauphine or late 750 rack interchange on the early mounting points?
    It's a 1953/4 model with external springs. I am unfamiliar with other models.

Quote Originally Posted by 53-4CV
    It's a 1953/4 model with external springs. I am unfamiliar with other models.
    That'd be right, the external spring type. Some of us removed those springs years ago by the way - makes the steering nicer, although with less vigorous self-centering, and also removes a common source of rattling.

I think that the later 750 racks with the internal spring are the same geometry and fitting points, but am not completely sure. Check the Perth guys, would be my quick suggestion, and see if one of us knows the answer.

Cheers

JohnW

Call up the guys at The French Connection in Melbourne. They have wrecked some 4CVs and Steve has an active interest in them.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Worth keeping an eye on the Simonetta Motors thread in the "Parts Wanted/For Sale" section of the forum. I'll bet there's gold in that lot, and it would be tragic if it all went to the tip.

Tadpole

Thanks for replies. I luckily found a good rack in Perth. That's one more hurdle overcome.

Thread Information