Fuego gear ratios
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Fuego gear ratios

I was disappointed by the overall gearing of my freshly-acquired 2L GTX auto. It seems to rev far too high at motorway speeds for a leisurely or economical cruiser - and yes, I'm pretty sure it had made it into top gear.
    Of course the rev counter didn't give any sensible reading, and the speedo wasn't working at all, but all the same, it seemed way too busy. My Turbo seems a lot better in this regard, although of course its tacho doesn't tell me the truth either ... my GTS reckons about 3500rpm at 100ks, but can I believe her tacho?

Advertisement

Does anyone know how many mph/1000rpm for various models. Is there a higher geared or overdrive auto?

Does the R25 2L GTX have higher overall gearing?
    Last edited by Reggie; 25th March 2005 at 09:22 PM.

I have a 1985 GTX Auto and everything works (genuine 59,000 miles on the clock). At 100kph she does approx 3200 rpm. I also have 1984 Turbo which does approx 3100rpm, but we are comparing a 3 stage auto to a 5 speed manual. I use the auto around down where it does a great job, and the Turbo on the open road where it does the same.
    Simple...

1000+ Posts

Default Fuego - auto

Quote Originally Posted by nzrhysco
    I have a 1985 GTX Auto and everything works (genuine 59,000 miles on the clock). At 100kph she does approx 3200 rpm. I also have 1984 Turbo which does approx 3100rpm, but we are comparing a 3 stage auto to a 5 speed manual. I use the auto around down where it does a great job, and the Turbo on the open road where it does the same.
    Simple...

As far as I know we did not get automatic transmissions on any Fuegos sold in Australia, though I think there are some about. Is the auto setup for a Fuego able to be sourced in New Zealand?

(thinking of the future when my dicky left knee finally packs up )

Ken.

Tadpole

Default Fuego automatics

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    As far as I know we did not get automatic transmissions on any Fuegos sold in Australia, though I think there are some about. Is the auto setup for a Fuego able to be sourced in New Zealand?

(thinking of the future when my dicky left knee finally packs up )

Ken.

You too, eh? I wish Renault clutches were a mite lighter than they are! My Espace's is really annoyingly heavy, and this seems a general Renault thing, although my Phase II Espace I admit is lighter - but then it doesn't have LPG and it's not rough enough to be my work vehicle.
    No good at all for almost disabled wife, even before the almost-disabling. And no good for left knee. Perhaps the French build REAL women.
    I wondered if the R25's solved this by going to a hydraulic clutch.

Anyway, in our ecologically sound way over here in NZ, we're scrapping cars at a huge rate and importing HUGE numbers of used Jappers, which get scrapped earlier and earlier. Car dismantlers, the biggest recyclers on the planet, are the lowest of the low and a blight on the landscape.
    And sadly, plenty of Fuegos are going away, and there will be plenty of autos among them. Would be easy enough to get hold of them if you wanted. My main donormobile is an auto ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    There was a veiled indication that he auto would be sold in Australia on the early flyer brochure, but it obviously never actually made it. A UK private import Fuego GTS was running around in Adelaide about 10 years ago, but I've not seen it in ages.

As for retrofitting an auto, I'd suggest using the engine/trans from a 21 or 25, that way you could get the later 4 speed auto from a late 21 as well. This would save the hassles of trying to adapt the 21 auto trans computer to the carby setup on the Fuego. Using the 21 running gear you get the marginal extra capacity, that with the injection and use of PULP, may offset the power loss of the auto trans used with the Fuego 2 litre. Only other problem is the cost and aggravation involved in the changeover too.

My preferred option though, if an auto is the only future option, and you want to stay two door "coupe" Renault. Start saving for a Megane Sport Hatch. Sure it costs more, but you also get an awful lot more!

1000+ Posts

Default Fuego auto trans

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie
    You too, eh? I wish Renault clutches were a mite lighter than they are! My Espace's is really annoyingly heavy, and this seems a general Renault thing, although my Phase II Espace I admit is lighter - but then it doesn't have LPG and it's not rough enough to be my work vehicle.
    No good at all for almost disabled wife, even before the almost-disabling. And no good for left knee. Perhaps the French build REAL women.
    I wondered if the R25's solved this by going to a hydraulic clutch.

Anyway, in our ecologically sound way over here in NZ, we're scrapping cars at a huge rate and importing HUGE numbers of used Jappers, which get scrapped earlier and earlier. Car dismantlers, the biggest recyclers on the planet, are the lowest of the low and a blight on the landscape.
    And sadly, plenty of Fuegos are going away, and there will be plenty of autos among them. Would be easy enough to get hold of them if you wanted. My main donormobile is an auto ...
    I would be interested in sourcing a working transmission and looking at pricing import costs etc drop me an email at kenand at asccomp.net (substitute the at for @ and don't forget the two cc's just to confuse the web crawling email collectors!! ) and we can start some dialogue.

Ken

I believe the transmission will be an MJ3, also fitted to R18, R20, R21 and R25. There may be a difference in final drive ratio/change points.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Thread Information