Resurrecting an R4
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    1000+ Posts

Default Resurrecting an R4

Hey all

I'm wanting to get an R4 on the road in and I'd like to find out the availablility and typical delivery lag times of consumables like:

brakes, suspension, cables, belts, boots, ignition etc

Advertisement

Any ideas?

cheers

Brakes: Visit your local brake place, things like wheel cylinder and master cylinder kits are still available, get the old cylinders sleeved in stainless steel. Brake linings can be re-bonded in a flash.

Suspension: Visit Caravelle Imports Box Hill Melbourne, they should be able to obtain shock absorbers and bushes. As your car from memory is a late model one with the later cam adjusted suspension, it should be a breeze to replace the bushes which are one of the nastiest jobs on the early lever adjust cars.

Cables: Likely you mean clutch, handbrake, accelerator. Again try Ken, but your car being a late model there may be differences between the early and late model stuff. If Ken has them in stock, obviously immediate delivery, otherwise you have to wait for an order. Or get them redone at a cable maker.

Belts: The water pump belt is a Magna power steering belt, about the only good thing a Magna has done for the world (to be more useful, I'll list the belt number once I have a look at it). The generator belt can be matched at a belt place, or just try the usual suspects for old stock.

Boots: Presume you mean the inner driveshaft Bendix-Weiss boot, try usual suspects as these were also used on the early 16’s and I have seen repair kits with the nice tins of Huiles Renault special oil contained inside. Again your car being a later model it could have more easily obtained later model boots and driveshafts.

Ignition: If six volt go to a VW place for things like coils. Your car being a later model could have either the SEV Junior distributor or a tiny Ducellier. Points and rotors are still available for th SEV Junior, but the tiny Ducellier stuff is difficult to source. In this case just swap the distributor for an SEV Junior commonly fitted to the early AUS spec R4’s.
    Last edited by Simon; 24th March 2005 at 04:08 PM.

1000+ Posts

Simon, as always, much appreciated. You're a veritable Funk and Wagnells!

Quote Originally Posted by graham66
    Hey all

I'm wanting to get an R4 on the road in and I'd like to find out the availablility and typical delivery lag times of consumables like:

brakes, suspension, cables, belts, boots, ignition etc

Any ideas?

cheers
    Graham,
    I am in the same boat as you are - currently restoring 2 R4 (1967 TS and a F4) with a friend. We were lucky enought to score an entire truck load of R4 parts (not joking...) with the 3 bodies we bought - so if you need some parts we might be able to help you out. Bits and pieces we haven't been able to source are the rubber for the front screen and the side windows and a master cylinder overhaul kit....any ideas??

cheers from Gunnedah
    Stephan

Quote Originally Posted by stephanklemens
    Bits and pieces we haven't been able to source are the rubber for the front screen and the side windows and a master cylinder overhaul kit....any ideas??
    Is the 1967 car a "proper" 1967 private import or a 1964/67 Australian assembled car (pre oval plate R1123 158xxx??). Reason for asking is that if it is a later car with the plastic locking strip that should be able to be sourced, try Caravelle Imports in Melbourne.

For the side windows, I assume you mean the sliding windows? And the bailey channel felt? The steel window surrounds are quite rust prone on the later cars, so try to find some from an earlier car where for some reason they don't rust as bad. The rear door window surrounds can be difficult to find, especially in good condition. The bailey channel is fairly easily sourced from places like Rare Spares, it is a generic size.

With the master cylinder, there are two different bore sizes, so it may be best to get that stainless steel sleeved at a brake place as well as a kit at the same time, or again try Caravelle Imports or French Connection in Melbourne once you know the size of the bore.

1000+ Posts

Graham,
    I am in the same boat as you are - currently restoring 2 R4 (1967 TS and a F4) with a friend. We were lucky enought to score an entire truck load of R4 parts (not joking...) with the 3 bodies we bought - so if you need some parts we might be able to help you out. Bits and pieces we haven't been able to source are the rubber for the front screen and the side windows and a master cylinder overhaul kit....any ideas??

cheers from Gunnedah
    Stephan
    Hi Stephan - welcome to - sorry I have bugger all parts - as Simon says, Caravelle are good value. Also Basil from Peugparts in Mornington Peninsula could be a good source. If you're totally stuck I found some overseas links that could help - let me know and I'll pass that on to you.

You wouldn't happen to have a RHS wiper arm would you? It appears to be a screw-on affair, not just a push-on type. Any chance?

Take care - talk to you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Is the 1967 car a "proper" 1967 private import or a 1964/67 Australian assembled car (pre oval plate R1123 158xxx??). Reason for asking is that if it is a later car with the plastic locking strip that should be able to be sourced, try Caravelle Imports in Melbourne.

For the side windows, I assume you mean the sliding windows? And the bailey channel felt? The steel window surrounds are quite rust prone on the later cars, so try to find some from an earlier car where for some reason they don't rust as bad. The rear door window surrounds can be difficult to find, especially in good condition. The bailey channel is fairly easily sourced from places like Rare Spares, it is a generic size.

With the master cylinder, there are two different bore sizes, so it may be best to get that stainless steel sleeved at a brake place as well as a kit at the same time, or again try Caravelle Imports or French Connection in Melbourne once you know the size of the bore.
    Simon,
    thanks for your reply - I am quite sure the TS is an Australian build car - at least it has the oval plate and the serial number is past the number you stated. I got a brand new master cylinder with all the spares - and to my surprise AutoPro here in Gunnedah could source the overhaul kitthis afternoon. Not bad for a small country town! I'll have to wait and see what happens with the window rubber. We've almost completed the engine overhaul (new bearings, rings, valves,...) but recently came across a question re the valve stems - the gasket set came with ruber rings which are ment to go below the valve springs - the engine we took apart did not have any. Is there any way to identify via motor # if this one requires the rubber rings?

cheers
    Stephan

Hi Stephan - welcome to - sorry I have bugger all parts - as Simon says, Caravelle are good value. Also Basil from Peugparts in Mornington Peninsula could be a good source. If you're totally stuck I found some overseas links that could help - let me know and I'll pass that on to you.

You wouldn't happen to have a RHS wiper arm would you? It appears to be a screw-on affair, not just a push-on type. Any chance?

Take care - talk to you soon.
    Graham - thanks for the welcome...I'm sure I'll pay this site a regular visit from now on. With the wiper arm - I'll have a look in the shed over the weekend and see what I can do. From memory some of them were crome. Is that the case with yours?

cheers
    Stephan

1000+ Posts

Graham - thanks for the welcome...I'm sure I'll pay this site a regular visit from now on. With the wiper arm - I'll have a look in the shed over the weekend and see what I can do. From memory some of them were crome. Is that the case with yours?

cheers
    Stephan
    yep chrome - I'll try and get a photo up - cheers

yep chrome - I'll try and get a photo up - cheers
    Graham,
    Haven't had a chance to have a look yet - but I am quite sure that there were a few somewhere in the pile. I'll check your photo and get back to you. Happy restoring.
    Stephan
    PS - dropped a picture of the F4 with my name.

This TS thing intrigues me, there was no official R4 TS, much less an Australian one unless someone has done a badge job. Any pics?

What type engine do you have? Usually denoted on a riveted plate with the engine number. Valve stem seals were not used on the 680 and 800 series motors used in the R4.

Default Badge job...

This TS thing intrigues me, there was no official R4 TS, much less an Australian one unless someone has done a badge job. Any pics?

What type engine do you have? Usually denoted on a riveted plate with the engine number. Valve stem seals were not used on the 680 and 800 series motors used in the R4.

The "TS" is a somewhat vague memory (about 10 years ago) from the days I was driving R4's around Germany. I just had a look in the Workshop manual and parts books but could not find it as a model description. Maybe it was Europe only or maybe I'm wrong

The motor is defenitely a 800 - so thats one question solved - Thanks heaps!

cheers
    Stephan

PS: For the vans...the early one's in Germany were called "R4 F4" and the later one's (more square) "R4 F6". Was that the same here in Australia?

PS: For the vans...the early one's in Germany were called "R4 F4" and the later one's (more square) "R4 F6". Was that the same here in Australia?
    In Australia they were only known as R4 Panel Vans. There were three sorts, the early R2104 being French 1963 MY models sold in Australia in 1964/65, then the R2104 with modified suspension in early 1966 and the later R2106 introduced for the 1967 MY with 12 volt electricals.

The R4 F4 referred to the payload being 400kg in the F4 and 600kg in the F6. The payload on the Australian R2104 is 300kg and on the R2106 350kg.

Icon7

Simon you know heaps about them it seems thats great mate. I like the R4 a lot but you never see any now days.
    There was one on the internet somewhere (a version) that had wicker canework on the sides of it which one was that?

Graham,
    On behalf of the Qld government I'd like to thank yourself and Alan Moore, for solely supporting Queensland Transport. If you 2 have all your vehicles registared thats a dozens rego bills a year. Guys, get a life
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    Graham,
    Guys, get a life
    But old french cars are my life

Sad isn't it. Think we all suffer somewhat the same illness. Just your ourbreak is a little more serious than mine.
    Can't wait to see your collection at this years Grand Display. With all the Renaults there for the Renault Sport & Alpine Expo, Renault may have weight of numbers to come close to being most represented marque there.
    Break out the champagne!!

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

1000+ Posts

Sad isn't it. Think we all suffer somewhat the same illness. Just your ourbreak is a little more serious than mine.
    Can't wait to see your collection at this years Grand Display. With all the Renaults there for the Renault Sport & Alpine Expo, Renault may have weight of numbers to come close to being most represented marque there.
    Yeah it is sad. Tragic really.

Went out and bought another GS last night.

I need help....
    ...and another carport

Your wife must really love you. Or she is very understanding?

I know, it keeps you out of her hair.

You are only allowed to bring the Renaults this year. We need all the help we can get.

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

Default Grand Display

Forgive me the tadpole state of my Renault knowledge but what's the Grand Display ????

In Australia they were only known as R4 Panel Vans. There were three sorts, the early R2104 being French 1963 MY models sold in Australia in 1964/65, then the R2104 with modified suspension in early 1966 and the later R2106 introduced for the 1967 MY with 12 volt electricals.

The R4 F4 referred to the payload being 400kg in the F4 and 600kg in the F6. The payload on the Australian R2104 is 300kg and on the R2106 350kg.
    Simon,
    The badge thing might have been a TL - found this link on the www which shows the European history of the R4....some good pics in there....refreshing some great memories for me....

http://www.reno4er.de/bg_modelle.htm

cheers
    Stephan

Forgive me the tadpole state of my Renault knowledge but what's the Grand Display ????
    Hey stephen,
    The Grand Display of French Cars is a Queensland event held on or around Bastille Days every year, and is run by the Tri-club committee of memebers from the 3 French Car Clubs here in Qld.
    All other states have days at varying times of the year also.

All French Car Day 2004
    Grand display of French Car day dates around Aus
    The second link for the dates of last years varying meets around Aust.

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

The badge thing might have been a TL
    If it is a 4TL that dates it at least 1975 model onwards, certainly not Australian production :-) assuming that the car is all original, eg not a late model tailgate mit 4TL badge on an early car. So it would have the later plastic grille and should have the "flat top" 4 speed gearbox.

Daniel,
    The one with the wicker sides was the Parisienne version, this was also available with red or green tartan panels in place of the wicker too. I suppose you could say the Parisienne version was the pioneer of things like the Carla Zampatti Laser.........

Carla Zampatti Laser.........
    I haven't seen one of those for absolutely ages, I wonder if there are any about. From memory, the last one I saw was totally stoved in on the LHS...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

cheers
    Stephan

Talking about wiper arms, where can you get the little straight wiper blades (the rubber).

I've just driven my R4 for the first time today, luckily it wasn't raining.

Best
    Mike Brown

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information