Faulty Fuego rev counters
  • Help
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Hamilton New Zealand
    Posts
    11

    Default Faulty Fuego rev counters

    And a great big introductory Bonjoooor from over the ditch.
    I have recently supplemented my long-lasting Phase I Espace with a Fuego or 6.

    The common fault so far is that the tachometers are all faulty in one way or another. All the needles (incl. sppedo) are a bit distorted or cracked, and therfore possibly unbalanced, and they either don't read or are wildly out.
    Is this a known Fuego fault? I generally like to have an accurate tacho.

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    tasmania
    Posts
    7

    Default fix it for tacho

    Yes good old fuego needles were not built for our stunning climates
    heres a fix it
    unscrew the dash assembly(its pretty easy)you will need to break the seal on the screen of the instruments but this shouldnt be a problem
    pull off the needles gently with pliers or some such thing and replace them with some similar needles from a similar european car (I used a fiat 132)
    I calibrated them by setting them as close to zero as I could and finished by following a friend at set speeds and adjusting accordingly,not rocket science but better than no instruments!

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne Victoria
    Posts
    12,588

    Default Fuego - rev counters

    The Fuego tacho is driven off the same speedo cable and in any cable system most of the inconsistencies come from variations as the cable dries or slight kinks develop - generally careful lubrication of the speedo cable will assist its consistency and accuracy.

    In my view if you really do need to rely on an accurate tachometer then best to rig an electronic accessory timed from the engine revolutions, I am sure that there are other technical people who have done this conversion and willing to help.


    Regards and enjoy the Fuego.


    Ken

  4. #4
    Moderator vivid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    parallel 43 south
    Posts
    1,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simonfuego
    pull off the needles gently with pliers or some such thing and replace them with some similar needles from a similar european car (I used a fiat 132)
    I calibrated them by setting them as close to zero as I could and finished by following a friend at set speeds and adjusting accordingly,not rocket science but better than no instruments!
    Thats fine for the speedo, following a friend. I did the same.

    I used a set of commodore needles in mine, and they work fine, (same size and amount of plastic) so you should be able to replace them from all sorts of makes.

    David.
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts Haakon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    canberra...
    Posts
    8,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    The Fuego tacho is driven off the same speedo cable and in any cable system most of the inconsistencies come from variations as the cable dries or slight kinks develop - generally careful lubrication of the speedo cable will assist its consistency and accuracy.

    In my view if you really do need to rely on an accurate tachometer then best to rig an electronic accessory timed from the engine revolutions, I am sure that there are other technical people who have done this conversion and willing to help.


    Regards and enjoy the Fuego.


    Ken
    the tacho is electronic - not many cable driven tachos in the world (I can only think of early NSU Ro80 as an example)

    VK Commonbore needles are the go for replacement - the actual electronics rarely give trouble.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

  6. #6
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Hamilton New Zealand
    Posts
    11

    Default Thanks for the responses

    Thanks to all of you with practical knowledge of these cars.
    I took the instrument panel out of my donormobile and played around with the needles. Perhaps I shouldn't be annoyed that the speedo and tacho needles take different diameter shafts ...
    I tried the needles out of a lying-around Nissan unit, but they weren't ideal, so I'll chat to my wrecker friend and see what's lying around, with a particular eye out for the magic VK ones. That's a total of probably 8 or 10 needed!

    I managed to wire up an electronic signal to test the tacho, so calibration won't be a big problem to me.

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne Victoria
    Posts
    12,588

    Default Mind blip!

    Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    the tacho is electronic - not many cable driven tachos in the world (I can only think of early NSU Ro80 as an example)

    VK Commonbore needles are the go for replacement - the actual electronics rarely give trouble.

    Booger - thanks Haakon, had a "senior mind blip there", of course works from the ignition module and timed from the Top dead sensor lead activated from the flywheel, geez I've pulled enough of them apart!.

    I tend not to worry about the rev counter too much but like to keep the speedo as accurate as possible!!

    I suppose the accuracy (tachometer) can be effected by the old cabling and connections (voltage drop) on the Fuego.

    Ken old and

  8. #8
    Member GunnaWanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    49

    Default

    If u want to spend some moeny on it I suggest Ringwood speedos, in )u guessed it) RINGWOOD!!!

    They'll replace the needles AND recalibrate the speedo for you.
    Its not that cheap but atleast you know your speedos is accurate. I'd suggest replacing the cable at the same time.
    para un auto de rapido fuego

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •