R 12 - cabriolet
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default R 12 - cabriolet

Hi,
    I intend to transform my R12-1170 (1289 cc)in a cabriolet, 2 doors. You know if exist some R12 like that?
    I want to get plastic bumpers, like the R12 argentine. Please, tell me if you know any site about this.
    The front and rear suspension of the R18 they fit in the R12?
    Thank you.

Advertisement

Cor

Quote Originally Posted by jose dias
    Hi,
    I intend to transform my R12-1170 (1289 cc)in a cabriolet, 2 doors. You know if exist some R12 like that?
    I want to get plastic bumpers, like the R12 argentine. Please, tell me if you know any site about this.
    Thank you.
    Not here in Europe !

You can also look for Dasia in Romenia, mybe there is one Dasia transformd to Cabrio ( Dasia bild the r12 also stops, in 1998)

Hi,
    Thank you.
    How common are Renault R17 in Portugeal?? I have seen one or two of these as convertibles in the past.
    Last edited by HONG KONG PUGGY; 7th April 2005 at 10:32 AM.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Cor

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    How common are Renault R17 in Portugeal?? I have one or two of these as convertibles in the past.
    Here in the netherland are about 10 , R17 Decouvrables

I have a normal R17 TL from 1972 ( for Sale )

Quote Originally Posted by Cor
    Here in the netherland are about 10 , R17 Decouvrables

I have a normal R17 TL from 1972 ( for Sale )
    My first Renault/French Car

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/att...achmentid=2519

1973 R17TL

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Tadpole

Thank you Cor and Honk Kong Puggy.

In Portugal we have no R17 convertibles, I think. They are very rare.
    I´m going to try to transform a R12 -1170 in a convertible 2 doors. I know is very dificult, but I'm going to try. I'm going to adapt the front and rear suspension of R18, and the electronic ignition of R9 between other things.
    Tell me your suggestions.

Hey Jose,
    What I really meant was you could buy yourself a R17 and make it a convertible.
    R9 electronic ignition sounds interesting.

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

Tadpole

R9 Ignition works with a magnetic trigger on the flywheel. This flywheel won't fit that car, as far as I know. I'd thank you a lot if you could share the details of how you adapted this system or adapted another triggering mechanism.

Default r 12 cabrio

Hi,
    Thank you.
    i remember.i had a .r12 stationcar in the late seventies, i lived in holland, i recieved from the A.N.W.B.[something like R.A.C.V.]regular a magazine being a member.there was a picture of a r 12 cabrio with a story and name of a french company that would convert a new r 12 for you i wish i could remember the details ,this magazine came with a lot of stuff to australia and ended on the tip, i guess .sorry for that,but there is some hope for you to find out something ,go in to french web sites,someone must have some details i think it's a great idea,and would not give up on it regards cor

Hi,
    Thank you.
    Jose,

Dacia in Romania did sell a couple of two door versions of the R12 that weren't R15/R17. The later versions also had plastic bumpers and different grills/lights. It would probably be easier to get parts from Romania than Argentina.

They also made a version with longer front doors but was otherwise very similar.

Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Tadpole

Hi,
    Thanks for your help.
    Like I said I intend to adapt un electronic ignition from R9. I Know that the flyweel won´t fit for sure. That is a major problem, but I'm studing the problem. Soon, I believe I have a solution for that. There are some Renault's using flyweels which probabily fit on R12, maybe Twingo, Super 5, etc.
    Romania is far and in Portugal there are no trade with Romania. Maybe in the end of the year when Renault begin to sold the Dacia Logan in Portugal.
    Thanks to you all.

Jose

Administrator

Not sure if someone has mentioned this aleady but I was under the impression that the R18 and R12 front suspension was identical in design (apart from the front caster bar and bush design) I am pretty sure the rest is identical...

The Fuego is signficantly different and perhaps you are refering to the series II or R18 Turbo which I believe ran the Fuego front end.

The rear end is again very similar to a 12 but is wider (probably wider than the rear gaurds on a 12) and has MUCH longer trailing arms (almost twice as long from memory). I suppose you could fabricate mounts for all the different pickups but I don't know what the advantages would be of having the longer arms.

People tell me that the R12 tends to 'bind' up a little and start rear steering, but I have never personally experienced it. Always found that the understeer was the limiting factor...

Good luck with the project. BTW - I also think that the Dacia 2 door would be a good starting point.

Fellow Frogger!

i have a contact in argentina that gets me all the 12 parts i need and they are all damn cheap. PM me and i can get the details to you.

Tadpole

Thanks for your advises

My mail is jaardf@clix.pt

Best regards

José Dias

Thread Information