John DeLorean dies at 80
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Default John DeLorean dies at 80

Before it gets tossed in the pond, this does have some tenuous Renault connection in that the DeLorean car did have Renault V6 running gear......

Advertisement

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2005Mar20.html

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

and to think he never lived his dream of finishing the car off

volvo engine and renault transaxle

he was going to further develop the car with single and twin turbos
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

XTC

Back to the Future will always be a legend .. and so will the car (if you can find one).

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

I was just looking at a Delorean at the Classic Car Show at Whiteman Park yesterday and I was wondering what happened to that dude, so there you go.

Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Back to the Future will always be a legend .. and so will the car (if you can find one).

- xTc -

they do come up in the states every so often and there are 7 that i know of in NSW and more throughout the country, mainly in QLD though as that was the only state they were able to be registered in for a while there due to ADR's
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    they do come up in the states every so often and there are 7 that i know of in NSW and more throughout the country, mainly in QLD though as that was the only state they were able to be registered in for a while there due to ADR's
    its true its true:

I saw one for sale for $40,000 in unique cars last Jaunary issue that was located somewhere in NSW. I thought that would be cool to own - until you see the 1999 Lotus Elise on the same page for the same price!
    '87 Camry 2.0ltr injected---------5min 11 sec
    '85 Charade turbo 700cc----------5min 06 sec RESPECT
    '99 GX Impreza 2.0ltr-------------5min 02 sec
    '99 WRX w/ hi-flo exhaust------4min 46 sec
    Byrnesy's 172---------------------- 4min 25 sec

if i had the money i would have one in a heartbeat

definately a car that is a classic as there were not a lot made and they were not the normal mass produced type that has been made

a car that will always be worth what you paid for it

just a shame there aren't any modern pugs that will fit into that category or any other modern froggy cars (modern bieng post 1950)
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

A sad passing for the motoring world.

I will never forget seeing a convey of 7 DMCs drive past in Germany (in Neckarsulm checking out the NSU museum - a good days for unique machines!) - one of the worlds most interesting machines and geez they look good in the flesh with that lovely PRV burble from a very short exhaust

Would love to have one in the collection....
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Its easy to see how far engines have come:

from the 3ltr V6 renault come a megre 116kw and 202 nms... not really great figures from a 6 cyl from a modern perspective. I guess you would mod it somehow... or do what that dude in Melbourne did and, after completing a left to right HD conversion, drop the V6 out of the Commodore SV6 into it.

But mods usually stuff resale value that would have otherwise been fantasic - only classics can be driven for a few years and maintained then be sold for what you brought them for, sometimes more.
    '87 Camry 2.0ltr injected---------5min 11 sec
    '85 Charade turbo 700cc----------5min 06 sec RESPECT
    '99 GX Impreza 2.0ltr-------------5min 02 sec
    '99 WRX w/ hi-flo exhaust------4min 46 sec
    Byrnesy's 172---------------------- 4min 25 sec

they originally came out with the B27 volvo engine which produced around 144hp

not something to write home about in the performance stakes

doesn't take a lot to improve on that though and still have it look original

the DMC12 was to be further improved later with single and twin turbo setups but the company went belly up and the dream was never realised

some have put turbos on their cars but of course they aren't original now

there was also a gold 12 that was made as well that was Johns personal car i think

they were also all stainless steel bodies but of course there are some that are painted but again they aren't original now

painted ones are frowned upon in certain circles and are very time consuming and expensive to take back to bare stainless

original condition models are worth money

the holden motor would weigh the back end down too much i feel
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

farmerdave

they originally came out with the B27 volvo engine which produced around 144hp
    From my observations, the engine is a mix of renault and volvo PRV...
    -2.8l block, liners, oddfire crank, heads, throttle bodies from Volvo B28
    -crankcase stiffener/engine mounts from renault 140/144/z7v
    -the finned alloy sump seems to be unique- unless it was a renault turbo item?? in 1980/81??
    Gearboxes were Renault 369/UN1 and 4141.

Farmerdave

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbyrnes
    Its easy to see how far engines have come:

from the 3ltr V6 renault come a megre 116kw and 202 nms... not really great figures from a 6 cyl from a modern perspective. I guess you would mod it somehow... or do what that dude in Melbourne did and, after completing a left to right HD conversion, drop the V6 out of the Commodore SV6 into it.

But mods usually stuff resale value that would have otherwise been fantasic - only classics can be driven for a few years and maintained then be sold for what you brought them for, sometimes more.

they are a car that built in the early 80's still propelled the car from 0-100 in 8secs

he was in the process last i heard of making a new DMC 2

plastic bodied car and it was to hit the market at around $20-30k US

there were less than 9000 DMC12's ever made

i think they had lotus designed suspension in them as well
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Not meaning to cause a stir here, but I'm surprised he died of old age given some of the shit he got up to. When you read a bit about what he did and the way he did it and the people he was involved with........I mean, like, I think I'd have been inclined to wear a flack jacket if I was in his company.
    The greatest thing that happened to his cars was Michael J Fox and "Back to the Future" but as far as the cars go, the boys gave me a book on the 60 greatest Lemons in the History of Australian Motoring and these babies came in at 3rd behind the Ford Edsel and the Lightburn Zeta, hardly the kind of recommendation needed to encourage spending 40 grand.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

farmerdave

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Not meaning to cause a stir here, but I'm surprised he died of old age given some of the shit he got up to. When you read a bit about what he did and the way he did it and the people he was involved with........I mean, like, I think I'd have been inclined to wear a flack jacket if I was in his company.
    The greatest thing that happened to his cars was Michael J Fox and "Back to the Future" but as far as the cars go, the boys gave me a book on the 60 greatest Lemons in the History of Australian Motoring and these babies came in at 3rd behind the Ford Edsel and the Lightburn Zeta, hardly the kind of recommendation needed to encourage spending 40 grand.

Alan S
    When I heard on the radio this morning, I was wondering if the collapse of the business and the drugs charges would come up- but no, not a word. I wonder what Maggie Thatcher would say.....
    To be sure, the cars will exponentially increase in value from now- an unusal car made in Ireland by a colourful man- and bankrolled by the British government to be sold in the US.

Farmerdave

Quote Originally Posted by farmerdave
    When I heard on the radio this morning, I was wondering if the collapse of the business and the drugs charges would come up- but no, not a word. I wonder what Maggie Thatcher would say.....
    To be sure, the cars will exponentially increase in value from now- an unusal car made in Ireland by a colourful man- and bankrolled by the British government to be sold in the US.

Farmerdave
    ...............and of course the mystery of what happened to Colin Chapman to keep the conspiracy theories alive

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206

- xTc -
    They come up for sale reasonably regularly.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    They come up for sale reasonably regularly.

as far as i know there are still around 7000 or so left and around 1/4 of them are used as daily cars

parts are pretty easy to get for them

not bad for a limited run by a company that folded

pity he got screwed as the car was pretty advanced for it's day especially in regards to safety even though most of the cars never got fitted with all the safety options that were available due to cost cutting

but even so the car itself is a pretty safe car to drive

and plenty of room for two people unlike a lot of 2 seaters and the doors took up less space to open than normal opening doors and that of the gulwing merc

very cleverly designed car
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I'm sure this site has been posted before, but the virtual warehouse tour is certainly a site to behold for V6 fans.....

http://www.delorean.com/index2.asp

I love the bit in the first link (washington Post article) that said Delorean invented the Overhead Cam engine!
    Does the inaccuracy of this statement cast a shadow upon the Washington Posts reporting of the Watergate thingy????
    O.K. mebbe not
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    I'm sure this site has been posted before, but the virtual warehouse tour is certainly a site to behold for V6 fans.....

http://www.delorean.com/index2.asp

what a dream to walk around in there

open cheque would be a nice option

i'll take 3 engines...................
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Warwick
    I love the bit in the first link (washington Post article) that said Delorean invented the Overhead Cam engine!
    That particular paragraph is a real classic! Probably more a reflection of how insular the American auto industry is as well as their journalistic skills.....

I would have thought racing stripes on a production car would have been pioneered by Renault on the 8G, and concealed wipers on a DS Citroen......

DeLoreans are cool cars......I had a good look and a sit down in one a few months back.....owner drops a in rarely to buy a few things....but each time it gets parked....it always impresses.....like I said a cool car.......
    Actually...there was a thread some time ago about a good car one never bought (ie mistake)...well...I almost bought one many years ago at Fowles...but I didn t have enough of the green stuff (was still cheap at the time - around 12K if I remeber correctly)........So yeahh....I wouldn t mind one in my garage.......

cheers

dino

Great cars, always had a soft spot for them. There are 3 in WA, here is one taken @ yesterdays Classic Car Day...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails John DeLorean dies at 80-delorean.jpg  
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

definately a car that is a classic as there were not a lot made and they were not the normal mass produced type that has been made

a car that will always be worth what you paid for it

just a shame there aren't any modern pugs that will fit into that category or any other modern froggy cars (modern bieng post 1950)
    Renault Avantime :-)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

they are a car that built in the early 80's still propelled the car from 0-100 in 8secs
    Lets get some realistics figures...

They had a meager 130hp. And took a nearly 10 seconds to reach 100km/h.

You would expect this as they weighed 1230 +kg. About the same as a contemporary Holden Commodore.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information