Cool numberplates
  • Help

Default Cool numberplates

The numberplates were the first thing that caught my eye, a set of proper French plates on an R20 green Megane Sport Hatch. 7 PH 75, complete with the new French logo with the EU circle and F on a blue background. I even had a look to see if it was LHD, but was in the car at the time, and wondered how a Paris registration car was in Adelaide........

Returning on foot for a better look, it turned out that it was RHD, but the plates displayed a very discreet "SA". Well done as the plates looked very authentic, but you just wonder how long it will be before they get sprung for non-complying numberplates, which would be a shame.

Advertisement

Hey,

Over here is NSW we have a euro style of plate where it is a replica of the german style of plate. Kinda looks wierd on a commodore which i saw yesterday! :s

Maybe in SA they have relased a similar style but it is a french style rather than german????
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

in queensland we have euro plates as well

you get a choice of two letters followed by two numbers in the middle of the q and z
    Last edited by orestes; 19th March 2005 at 04:57 PM.

XTC

Just new here .. if you dealer orders them you can have the brand logo of the car on it ... and not the swan ..

* euro - $375

* euro custom - $495

* euro custom plus - $695

* euro premium - $1 195

Options

Each of the four europlate options offer different levels of customisation.
    euro

The euro comes with the standard swan logo and offers a sequential combination of two alpha and three numeric characters (no choice of characters), with a compulsory "W" as the first character and a last alpha character that can't be altered. (W (logo) AA111A)
    euro custom

The euro custom is a more personalised licence plate offering the combination of two alpha and three numeric characters of your choice with a compulsory "W" as the first character and a last alpha character that can't be altered. (W (logo) AA111Z)

If you purchase your euro custom through an authorised car dealership you can elect to have either your car logo or swan logo and the car dealership slogan at the base of the licence plate.

If you purchase your euro custom through a Licensing Centre or Agent only the swan logo is available.

euro custom plus

The euro custom plus offers even greater customisation. Beginning with the compulsory "W" as the first character you can choose to have

* three alpha and four numeric characters. (W (logo) AAA1111)
    or;
    * four alpha and three numeric characters. (W (logo) AAAA111)

The choice is yours!

If you purchase your euro custom plus through an authorised car dealership you can elect to have either your car logo or swan logo and the car dealership slogan at the base of the licence plate.

If you purchase your euro custom plus through a Licensing Centre or Agent only the swan logo is available.

euro premium

The euro premium allows you to personalise the licence plate even further. These also come with a compulsory "W" as the first character however you can choose to have

* up to seven alpha characters. (W (logo) AAAAAAA)
    or;
    * a combination of up to seven alpha and numeric characters. (W (logo) 11AAAAA)

You can also choose the colour of the side panel from the following colours

* Blue
    * Black
    * Gold
    * Silver

If you purchase your euro premium through an authorised car dealership you can elect to have your car logo or swan logo and the car dealership slogan at the base of the licence plate.

If you purchase your euro premium through a Licensing Centre or Agent only the swan logo is available.

Question ... who'd want the dealership slogan at the base of their licence plate?. .. Maybe Peugeot one ?? But the dealer plate suround got removed less the 1 hour after delivery.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Only problem is that in li'l old SA we don't have the flashy custom plates that you have. The lettering on the plate is that of a SA type "custom plate" which is basically anything you like up to seven figures or numbers on a plain background with SA on it but it must be on the standard issued pressed metal plate with no emblems. This was obviously a very well made up replica of a French plate right down to the font of the figures, with the addition of the SA, and it wasn't pressed metal. The F and EU stars were where your QLD and WA are located. Technically "home made" plates are illegal in SA.

1000+ Posts

Hmm. I saw a genuine Swiss numberplated late model Landrover in the Perth CBD the other week. An impressive offroad machine, it had chequerplated aluminium recovery thingies on the side, and looked very sinister, like an army type vehicle, only it was in matte black. Cool...

Don't know how this works, though, with the licensing. Permit?
    Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Hey,

Yeah i have seen a few weird numberplates running around the place. Ive seen south african (thats a whole lotta numbers and letters ) Ive seen a few british ones, german and New Zealand ones.

As for Stuey's post, I dont see how they could be drivable on Australian roads without breaking some kind of law???

Anyone care to explain?

Cyas Stalled

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED
    As for Stuey's post, I dont see how they could be drivable on Australian roads without breaking some kind of law??? Anyone care to explain?
    Cyas Stalled
    Must be some sort of permit, I saw a Hummer (mk1) here with US plates, they (the owners) had obviously been traveling the world and shipped the car wherever they needed. It was so wide that even parked up against the gutter it spilled into the street !

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Default Cool numberplates.

Was it Victoria or NSW that had the square plates back in the '80's?
    I ask because when new Volvo's were delivered they had a frame on the rear to accomodate this type. They obviously had to be removed when fitting WA plates. I would rescue them before they were binned to remove the four 6mm dome nuts they had on them!
    These frames would have been ideal for originality on restored early Alfas, Fiats and 203 / 403 Peugeots.

Here in WA if you knew someone in the licencing authority you would ask them to let you know when a certain number came up. In the past I had BD 404 and 8CU 404. Those days are no more now that the authorities have worked out that a small pound or two can be made.
    Those fancy WA plates ranging from $400 - $1000+. Who in their right mind?
    Oh I forgot, you can also have the privilege of the dealers logo!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    Was it Victoria or NSW that had the square plates back in the '80's?
    I ask because when new Volvo's were delivered they had a frame on the rear to accomodate this type. They obviously had to be removed when fitting WA plates. I would rescue them before they were binned to remove the four 6mm dome nuts they had on them!
    These frames would have been ideal for originality on restored early Alfas, Fiats and 203 / 403 Peugeots.

Here in WA if you knew someone in the licencing authority you would ask them to let you know when a certain number came up. In the past I had BD 404 and 8CU 404. Those days are no more now that the authorities have worked out that a small pound or two can be made.
    Those fancy WA plates ranging from $400 - $1000+. Who in their right mind?
    Oh I forgot, you can also have the privilege of the dealers logo!!

We did have a Bicentennial numberplate which was "squarish" and of a different shape- could this be the one which you could be thinking of???

Cyas STalled

Tadpole

Talking of numberplates, could anyone out there who owns a Clio tell me the exact distance between the numberplate fixing screw holes on the front and back of the car. I've got one on order and I don't think my plates are going to be long enough to fit the screw holes in the area of the car designed for European plates.

Quote Originally Posted by Black
    Talking of numberplates, could anyone out there who owns a Clio tell me the exact distance between the numberplate fixing screw holes on the front and back of the car. I've got one on order and I don't think my plates are going to be long enough to fit the screw holes in the area of the car designed for European plates.
    you can allways make a plate holder that sits behind it and is long enough for your number plate to screw into

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    you can allways make a plate holder that sits behind it and is long enough for your number plate to screw into
    Thanks, but I'm trying to avoid having the screws visable. The plate I have has a mounting bracket behind it which the plate is then attached to and secured using small grub screws at the bottom so that no fixing screws are visable once the plate is on the car. If the holes on a Clio are too wide it would appear the only alternative is to order a longer plate from PPQ (Private Plates Queensland). I wanted to avoid this though as they charge like a wounded bull!!!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    Yes, the days when people were reasonable...

I travelled all the way to Goomalling to get "GO-1275" plates for my Cooper S, which the shire was happy to do for me, no problems. No chance of that now.

Stuey
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cool numberplates-coopersplate.jpg  
    Last edited by Stuey; 20th March 2005 at 05:27 PM.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Yes, the days when people were reasonable...

I travelled all the way to Goomalling to get "GO-1275" plates for my Cooper S, which the shire was happy to do for me, no problems. No chance of that now.

Stuey

Stuey,

That car looks a bit strange - you sure it was a Cooper S. Must have been an import?
    It's got the clubman style lights, the cooper S never had here and the rear badge I've never seen.

First glance, I thought no, that's a clubman GT; but the boot badge is different. Also the colour is more a clubman colour (though it's hard to tell, could just be the light and age of the photo). No bars on the overiders.

Any more photos of it in more detail, ie front on, side on?

Kevin.

Default Cool numberplates

Quote Originally Posted by Black
    Black, If the French number plate holes are to be visible after you fit your Qld. plates, would it be possible to fit some plastic trim plugs to partially disguise?

When fitting number plates to new Renault 19's we used a template to mark the holes. I can't remember the reason why, maybe it was so the holes didn't foul wiring etc on the other side?

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10
    Stuey,

That car looks a bit strange - you sure it was a Cooper S. Must have been an import?
    It's got the clubman style lights, the cooper S never had here and the rear badge I've never seen.

First glance, I thought no, that's a clubman GT; but the boot badge is different. Also the colour is more a clubman colour (though it's hard to tell, could just be the light and age of the photo). No bars on the overiders.

Any more photos of it in more detail, ie front on, side on?

Kevin.
    Kevin,

It's definitely a Cooper S - it's a UK market Mk III, imported. They had the later tail lights, no external door hinges, wind up windows with no quarter lights, 130mph speedo, plain 'Mini' badge on the bonnet, larger brake servo, and a lesser crankshaft spec. (not made out of EN40B steel but otherwise no different). The rear badge says 'Mini Cooper S', and the only other badges were small square British Leyland badges on the sides behind the front wings. Yes, and they came with no bars on the overriders. The orange colour was an original colour. I have the book Original Cooper and Cooper S which confirmed that the colour scheme of Bronze Yellow (which is what it's called) with black interior is correct. In fact, the Mk III featured in the book is the same colour scheme inside and out, and I picked up a Mini magazine which tested a stock one - same colour! I also had a letter from BL Heritage confirming that all the numbers were correct for a Mk III Cooper S. However, the boot was an Australian spec boot that the previous owner fitted so that the Aussie numberplate was a perfect fit. I sold it with both boots...

They also came with no wheelarch flares where the Aussie ones had them from the factory.

There are other pics of it somewhere on this forum.

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information