fuego efi conversion.2 wiring
  • Help

Default fuego efi conversion.2 wiring

There are two sensors that I need to test. how do I check the MAP sensor. And the knock sensor.
    Does the throttle position sender conect to anything?? Can only find mention of the full/no load in the R21 book.
    Jo

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    There are two sensors that I need to test. how do I check the MAP sensor. And the knock sensor.
    Does the throttle position sender conect to anything?? Can only find mention of the full/no load in the R21 book.
    Jo
    I would be very surprised if you had a knock sensor on an 80's car (unless it's turbo charged).

You really need to investigate depending on what was fitted to a Renault 21.

I imagine it would be:

--temp sender
    --cold start timer
    --cold start injector
    --AFM mounting and connections (though it does sound like you have a MAP sensor)
    --Tachometric relay (this just allows to fuel pump to stop when the motor isn't running --it counts the tacho pulses if your revs drop below 200rpm the fuel pump is shut off).

Knock senders are hooked up to the ignition computer, do 21's have integrated ignition & injection in the one computer ??

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

believe it . there is a knock sensor. seems a bit ratty and melted,so a test is in order. there is a relay to be put in a cradle in the computer box which is for the fuel pump. will assume for now that that would take care of the safety issues.(will confirm later).
    No AFM,luckily.
    Seems the EI is a seperate module.
    Jo

I believe EI is seperate, a bit like the Fuego arrangement.

It surprised me that the R-INJ fires all 4 injectors at once, I actually thought it might have been a little more sophisticated (even the old Bosch D-Jet on the R17TS fires in pairs of 2)

Then again, maybe the benefit of individual firing doesn't (or didn't) outweigh the cost of the additional computing/component costs.

As for testing the "pinking" sensor, most of the doco I have talks about using the XR25, but I'm sure you could measure resistance etc. I do think it's probably the least of your worries, as the system will still function without it.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

but what about the MAP sensor?? That will be a big problem if it doesn't function.Probably easy enough to replace,being a GM part.

dont bother testing the knock sensor - it was working fine.

MAP sensor should be fine also - not much to go wrong with them.

The Renix is indeed a batch injection, so it doesnt matter what injector plug goes to what injector.

The rest of the sensors you need probably wont be found on an early R25, but are the same as an R19. To recap, you still need to get;

- air temp sensor - goes in the pipe b/w throttle and air filter (pipe and filter you may be able to use the Fuego parts modified - dont forget to disable the hot air induction flap in the bottom of the Fuego air filter)
    - coolant temp sensors - one for the thermostat housing (the computers main one) and the other for the front left of the head (not sure what it does...)
    - O2 sensor

You will find a twin TDC sensor arrangement on that loom - one is for the auto trans computer - delete the apprpriate one.

TPS simply tells the computer if the throttle is open all the way, shut or in between - plugs into the loom I gave you. The throttle body has two TPSs - the outer one is for the auto box from the R21 it came from and can be ignored. You will also find wiring in the loom for the auto trans computer which can be deleted - the engine and trans computers talk to each other, but the engine computer wont care if its not there.
    Last edited by Haakon; 16th March 2005 at 06:19 PM.

One thing I discovered doing mine, I had the efi system from an auto but the throttle body was from a manual, the TPS sensors are two different styles depending on auto/ manual. did u get the TPS with the throttle body
    just check that
    para un auto de rapido fuego

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    - the engine and trans computers talk to each other, but the engine computer wont care if its not there.

sounds like me and the ex.
    Regarding the two water temp sensors,I can only find mention of one sensor in the R21 book.

Jo,
    There was a rennix fuel injection manual on Ebay in the last few days, Is this system Rennix? I'd say it would be. Check out Ebay motors, USA site.
    Chris.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Thread Information