Fuego Carby
  • Help

Thread: Fuego Carby

Default Fuego Carby

I've read a lot about Fuego Carburettors in this forum and would like to see what you all think.

When the engine is running the carby seems to be working perfectly well no fuel smell or anything. When I turn the engine off and start it again in a minute or so it is perfectly fine and starts first attempt.

But when I wait for 5-10 minutes it does not start the first time but starts secont or third attempt. I could also smell very light fuel smell (maybe vapour) around the carby but no leaks.

It looks like when the engine is hot some fuel vapour is accumulating in the carby... I use PULP 98

Advertisement

Is this normal with Fuegos..?

1000+ Posts

Default Fuego - fuel smell.

Fuego - Turbo

As they get a little worn, yes there is often a light fuel smell outside the car, I had hoped that some one would come up with a definitive answer for you as it can be caused by slight flooding if the needle and seat is worn in the carby float area.

The emission system also has a carbon filter canister that deals with vapours and this may be contaminated and emit fuel smells - fuel hoses sometimes flex and weaken in use and weap fuel.

Have a look at Jo Proffi's thread where Europa has posted several carby manuals, these may help in explaining the weber system and give you some good information FREE!

Also as you are in Sydney, maybe you can make contact with Jo Proffi (Nigel)as I did give him a photo copy of the Australian emmission control system booklet that explains how the system deals with vapours/emissions, when he was last in Melbourne.

I am sure he would share this info with you (if I knew how to post it on the web like Europa I would ) I am slowly starting to unravel the mysteries of carburettion etc, but keep getting side tracked to fix more urgent things!!

Ken.

I'd agree it does sound like a worn needle and seat, but also couldn't it also be the fuel cut off solenoid that is dodgy, as that should stop the fuel flowing into the float chamber?

Also how about a super sensitive auto choke kicking in when the car is slightly cool after sitting 10-15mins? Then again you would think heat soak would keep the choke off in that situation.......

Thank you Ken and Simon,

I had a good look at the system and it looks like what Simon suggested - the fuel cut off solenoid is a bit dodgy - this is also causing the engine to run slightly when I turn it off.

I got in touch with Caravelle imports to get the solenoid and they said that they dont have it but its standard and I could get it anywhere.

I still prefer the original if I can find one.

Is it easy for me to change it ? I just dont know where it's located in the engine. Had a look at Haynes manual and still could not figure it out !

Quote Originally Posted by Fuego-Turbo
    Is it easy for me to change it ? I just dont know where it's located in the engine. Had a look at Haynes manual and still could not figure it out !
    You might want to download the MR-CARBW.pdf file from www.8gordini.com and check out page 38

If you are a Fuego owner, this would be a good file for you to download and keep.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Thank you Europa,

This is an excellent document, I always wanted a reference like this for weber carburettors. Haynes does not cover much !!!

Thread Information