startermotor R5
  • Help

Thread: startermotor R5

Default startermotor R5

just recently i bought a renault 5 ts wanted to check out engine ,didn't start,statermotor not working ,took it out (2hours) IT'S STUFFED. now, i was told ,a r 12 starter motor is the same,right ? 1400 cc engine 5 speed 1984 model any one can help me out ? thanks cor

Advertisement

Default R5 starter

If the 84 mod car has the engine in the fire wall and the gearbox out front (north south) mounted then yes the block is the same as the R12 R10 R8
    Check the bell housing though as by memory the water pump pully or cam pully belt enters the bell housing and might be differant but highly unlikly.
    If it is an east west mounted engine then your gues is as good as mine.
    I put the north south engine into my R10 With the 1.4 gearbox and it bolted straight up so the starter should there for be the same.
    David Mc

1000+ Posts

Boon, Craig Bradney of this forum should be able to help - if he doesn't see this thread soon, maybe try contacting him.

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Default startermotor R5

Quote Originally Posted by David Mc
    If the 84 mod car has the engine in the fire wall and the gearbox out front (north south) mounted then yes the block is the same as the R12 R10 R8
    Check the bell housing though as by memory the water pump pully or cam pully belt enters the bell housing and might be differant but highly unlikly.
    If it is an east west mounted engine then your gues is as good as mine.
    I put the north south engine into my R10 With the 1.4 gearbox and it bolted straight up so the starter should there for be the same.
    David Mc
    thanks david ,yes it is an early model ,engine north south, gear box in the front so you believe it fits wanted to buy a new one, the price shocked me a bit at 250 bucks ,anyone !!!!! some thing cheaper?? i,m in berwick vic. thanks ,cor

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Boon, Craig Bradney of this forum should be able to help - if he doesn't see this thread soon, maybe try contacting him.

Cheers

Stuey
    thank you stuey for your help, i,ll wait for a while he might just repley, don't know how to find Craig Bradley yet,thanks cor.

I'm assuming being a 1984 model it is the last of the north/south cars.

If this is the case, then an R12 starter (Ducellier or Paris Rhone) will fit.

The likely suspects will be a Ducellier 6231A, Paris Rhone D8E 121, D9E 55 or D9E 79. The D9E variants being more powerful. However it is confirmed that if it fits a 12 it should fit the 5. Probably avoid the Australian Bosch starters fitted to the 12, these are bigger and bulkier and likely more difficult to fit.

Also the official removal/replacement time for swapping a starter motor over is 3 hours, inclusding removal and replacement of the inlet manifold......

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    I'm assuming being a 1984 model it is the last of the north/south cars.

If this is the case, then an R12 starter (Ducellier or Paris Rhone) will fit.

The likely suspects will be a Ducellier 6231A, Paris Rhone D8E 121, D9E 55 or D9E 79. The D9E variants being more powerful. However it is confirmed that if it fits a 12 it should fit the 5. Probably avoid the Australian Bosch starters fitted to the 12, these are bigger and bulkier and likely more difficult to fit.

Also the official removal/replacement time for swapping a starter motor over is 3 hours, inclusding removal and replacement of the inlet manifold......
    simon yes that's right it is the last model north/south car.thanks for theinfo ,so i have to buy a french one . a bulkier one wil not fit ,that's for sure 2 hours not bad? thanks cor

Quote Originally Posted by boon
    simon yes that's right it is the last model north/south car.thanks for theinfo ,so i have to buy a french one . a bulkier one wil not fit ,that's for sure 2 hours not bad? thanks cor
    Oops, I should clarify. The Ducelliers and Paris Rhone starters were fitted to the Australian 12's, just that there were also the Australian made Bosch starters that were fitted to the pre 1975 12's. On the 12, the Paris Rhone stater seems the most common.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Oops, I should clarify. The Ducelliers and Paris Rhone starters were fitted to the Australian 12's, just that there were also the Australian made Bosch starters that were fitted to the pre 1975 12's. On the 12, the Paris Rhone stater seems the most common.
    thanks for that. funny but i understood it that way ,cor

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boon
    thank you stuey for your help, i,ll wait for a while he might just repley, don't know how to find Craig Bradley yet,thanks cor.
    Boon, it's Craig BradNey - I would've contacted him for you, but the forum email isn't working at the moment (or at least, there are troubles). Anyway. Simon's sorted you out...

Out of interest, what's your starter doing/not doing? The reason I ask is that you may be able to repair it, rather than fork out money.

The solenoid in Paris Rhone starters has a copper bar in the solenoid which contacts with two terminals - this erodes because of arcing, but can be turned around so the flat reverse face is being used.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Boon, it's Craig BradNey - I would've contacted him for you, but the forum email isn't working at the moment (or at least, there are troubles). Anyway. Simon's sorted you out...

Out of interest, what's your starter doing/not doing? The reason I ask is that you may be able to repair it, rather than fork out money.

The solenoid in Paris Rhone starters has a copper bar in the solenoid which contacts with two terminals - this erodes because of arcing, but can be turned around so the flat reverse face is being used.

Stuey
    thank you for this email ,to begin with the car has been sitting for some years, i bought it and tryed to start it with help of my big battery from porsche 928 ,the only thing it did was click, so i took it out and cleaned it with some w.d ,grooves in those copper things and all put the battery on it and it worked.put it back in and the only thing was click in and out several times opened up and saw some arching on1 of the 4 windings i don't know if that was there before cleaning etc.so much time it took me and notting now i do this sort of thing for my,, pleisure''but i have no understanding of this sort of things,i can buy a new one from carravelle box hill frenchproduct for r 12 but not sure if its right . this morning in book it says r5 ts in '76 had the r12 ts engine1300 ts , so mabye later thy used r12 ts 1400ts in the 5 wel wath d.y. say maybe get some one to fix it thanks cor

Stuey
    oh by the way it's a83/84 model made in south africa by ....toyota. startermotor is bosch made in s.africa. and is small comp. with other ones cor

Fellow Frogger!

Looks like I've come in a bit late. Simon has come up with the numbers it seems. My dad has 1980 GTL and I've an 88 GT Turbo, but the GTL will of course be the closest being a 5, not Super 5, even though some parts are the same/similar. I think the only piece I've never looked at on the GTL is the starter. I had the GTTs rebuilt and it works like new, and would probably suggest that if the autoelectrician/mechanic you can get it to knows what they are on about.
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    2001 Clio Sport 172 (23/85)
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

Fellow Frogger!

Default R5 starter motor

Hi, if it is any help I have two spare ones for the north south 5 they are in NZ but freight is not too much of an issue, $45 for the starter both were working fine in cars about 3 weeks ago! They are an absolute bitch to get in and out, but if you persevere you will get there. I take about 45 minutes (except in the Gordini) which takes a lot longer cos the exhaust is more invoved.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    Looks like I've come in a bit late. Simon has come up with the numbers it seems. My dad has 1980 GTL and I've an 88 GT Turbo, but the GTL will of course be the closest being a 5, not Super 5, even though some parts are the same/similar. I think the only piece I've never looked at on the GTL is the starter. I had the GTTs rebuilt and it works like new, and would probably suggest that if the autoelectrician/mechanic you can get it to knows what they are on about.
    looks like the way to go ,get it fixed , i just have not much confidence in that ,twice i send one away to get fixed and both times got it back not working ,where not even taken apart. so where do i go . thank you all for your support i learned a lot ,thanks froggy's cor

Default Fixing Solenoids

Stuey

Sometimes the wear ot copper contacts if not to bad , only grooving where the copper disk contacts them.

If they are removable contacts you can file them then very carefully build them back up with silver solder ( 20% ss is best). File them back and they are as good as new.

This is permanent fix because the silver solder lasts better than the original copper.

This works with Peugeot ducellier starters and Nippon Denso starters.

It saved me a new solenoid assembly on my old Tarago which was quoted as $200 by a dealer !

Have you got some pics of this R5 it must be really quite rare....

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Have you got some pics of this R5 it must be really quite rare....
    yes i do have some pics.have to figure out how to get them,fron camera to computer,,, rare ? i don't know about that cor

Stuey
    just to let you all know ,i bought a new starter motor for r12 and fitted perfectly on the r 5 is valeo, is even shorter than the old one . took 5 miutes to put in and the 5 started the first time ,amazing , thanks to you all regards cor

Thread Information