Renault 19 TXE
  • Help

Thread: Renault 19 TXE

Tadpole

Default Renault 19 TXE

Ok, I am aware this question is stupid and you'll think I'm a loser for asking so no need to repeat it again please. I've just got a '91 Renault 19 TXE manual (113000kms). Up until now I've been driving a Toyota Corolla which drives totally differently (obviously) to the Renault, so I'm still trying to get used to using the Ren gears. I'm really only having a few problems with getting smooth take offs in first gear going up hill after stopping. I'm told that it's a 'high first gear' which has something to do with it not skidding in the snow, however, I'm not exactly sure what that means in relation to actually driving it. I realise this question is probably hard to answer on a message board but if anyone has any tips or whatever, I'd appreciate it thanks. Other than that, it's a very lovely car to drive and I'm really happy with it.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Welcome to aussiefrogs!!

A "high first gear", by comparison, is really referring to the ratio between the RPM of the engine compared with the roadspeed of the car.

The higher the speed capability of say, first gear, means that the power needed by the engine to overcome the inertia of the car (that is, to get it rolling and then accelerating) also needs to be greater.

In practice, this means that until you become used to the characteristics of the transmission, and the torque of the engine, then you will probably stall the engine every now and then when accelerating of the mark - especially with a hill start!

Use the handbrake to better allow you to smoothly engage the clutch whilst applying power via the accelerator. Practice makes perfect!

And yes, the R19 is a nice car with plenty of character.

Cheers,
    Kim.

I had an automatic Renault 19 a few years back and liked it a lot. People say they are a french Magna. I still have a soft spot for them....Good purchse. THey are a good car.

Are you having an issue with the car shuddering during take off?

Tadpole

Yeah, the 'shuddering' did happen sometimes, but it's been a week of driving it around or so now and I've gotten a lot more used to it, so now it's not really a problem anymore and only very rarely do I have a bad take off. Thanks for your help everyone.

Thread Information