Renault's RX4 Michelin XPC Tyres
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Icon9 Renault's RX4 Michelin XPC Tyres

Hi all,

First post after joining on Tues night and searching the threads and failing to find anyone who had come accross this one and posting their advice. If this post should be in the Technical section - please don't shoot me , just move it

Here goes,

Michelin XPC 215/65 - 16H all-terrain treads, came as original fitment on wifes Renault's RX4 Scenic. After 55thousand KM's and the unfortunate attraction of some 'unwanted metal' in the tyre carcas this week we're looking at replacing them.

Arrg!!!! - 'Sorry Sir Michelin never made that tyre' was the comment on visiting the local tyre store. After inviting the young bloke outside and showing him the 'imaginary rubber' he rang Michelin and yep - don't supply them.

Then I had a flash back to my dear old departed Fuego and thought to myself 'not bloody tyres AGAIN!' I had enough of a nighmare back then. So a little miffed I went on home to the PC.

Advertisement

Quick intenet search brought up the following candidates;

Yokohama GO11+II 215/65R16 98S
    Pirelli Scorpion S/T 215/65 R16Tl 98HRB
    Dunlop GrandTreck AT2 All Terrain 215/65R16 98S BLT
    Cooper lifeliner 215/65 R16

I had a look at the Michelin 4X4 Diamaris but the smallest shoe size is
    235/65R17 - how would they go on a 7J rim? I really like the look of the performance profile of this tyre as 90% road 10% limestone track / sand is what better half uses the car for.

B4 the racer boys get excited - no the RX4 is not a pocket rocket and we don't view it that way - so don't don't get excited by the phrase "performance profile" or bother posting why a 205 or Clio 182 is THE ants pants etc. She who must be obeyed finds slowing down for corners anoying and better road biased tyres will make her happier ( she doesn't seem to mind the excessive RX4 body roll either )

So anyone want to put forward recomendations / offer suggestion on tyre choice. What would be great is if some other RX4 owners had first hand experiences they would be kind enough to voice them.

Oh by way the car was one of those 'Verve' deals with the six stacker CD, roof racks and a set of Aussie Mullins 7Jx16H2 alloy rims. Part of the attraction was 'aussie rims = no tyre hassels. Go figure !!

A side note is the Michelin XPC are still available in the USA but only in a 255/65R16 a crying shame they don't make the smaller size anymore as the 215's currently shod could have made it past 60 thou, and when I had a drive of the Reggie I found them to be a good tyre on and soft road. Low noise decent traction on some slimy saturated limestone track into Kalbarri National park to do sightseeing ( got covered in mud up to the turret, woo hoo!! - yes the ESP really works! ). Why oh why didn't we get this tyre in AUST!

Anyone in Western Australia want an unused Michelin XPC 215/65 - 16H all-terrain tyre - aside from a little 'aged curing' it would make great companion for that unused one you probably have on the back of your RX4

Thanks for listening
    Cheers & beers
    Ron
    93' 205GTi
    'don't force it son - use a bigger hammer'

I've not owned or driven a Scenic, although I'd like to have a go, but I've driven many, many fourwheel drives and various tyres and the ones that did stick in my mind
    were the Yokohama tyres on the Mitsu L200 I drove for work for three years. They
    were great in the sand, fairly quite and had pretty good grip on the hard stuff.

Looking at various reviews for the Pirellis, you either hate em or love em...
    never having driven Pirelli tyres off road I can't say.
    Cooper and Bridgestone both have big followings in Australia amongst the
    4WD fraternity.

I'd look for a decent tyre for sand which usually seem much quieter on bitumen
    and offer pretty good handling and can be a lower profile as well.
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

Fellow Frogger!

Default Michelin XPC 215/65 "The replacemnts"

I thougt I would update my post of 3rd March on my on how wife is going with the replacements to her original Michelin XPC 215/65 - 16H rubber on her Renault RX4

PS - Belated thanks to 'biologist' & 'pastpugdriver' for reponding to my original post , it helped!

Looked at what was on offer and what her driving 'style' is. Chose a set of Dunlop LE Mans RV 501 215/65R16s. Three months in and they are a treat on the bitumen. Quiet, better turn in that the factory fitted Michelins but most importantly an excellent wet weather tyre. For those of you that follow the weather over here we've had a 'bit' of rain recently, she who is obeyed passes on that they have higher levels of grip and improved the limited feel the RX4 gives thru the tiller.

At $198 fitted each my wallet likes E'm, missus gives E'm the thumbs up all round. We recomend you put them on your shortlist when replacing your RX4 rubber.

BTW RX4's are crap in the sand, by the time the visco' coupling engages the rear end its too late, and the missus is dug in better than an ANZAC at Gallipoli. Given the many foibles of Renaults attempt at a soft roader the 6 airbags, tall ride height to see over the 'zombies' on the road and sandwich construction floor to slow the 'zombies trying to T-Bone you make this a car I can't pry out of her hands. I even offerd her a new little Nissan X-Trail at the end of lease ( she hardly ever tells me to 'piss off ' ) - she wants me to buy out the residual!!

Yours aye
    Sandgroper

"don't force it son - use a bigger hammer"
    93' 205GTi
    'don't force it son - use a bigger hammer'

Your wife has class :-)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by sandgroper
    I can't pry out of her hands. I even offerd her a new
    little Nissan X-Trail at the end of lease ( she hardly ever tells me to 'piss off '
    ) - she wants me to buy out the residual!!
    I second Europa's comment!

Good to hear you also found some new tyres even better than the originals.

Cheers,
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

ROFL at the "Michelin didn't make those tyres" remark!

Thread Information