Looking for an A110
  • Help

Default Looking for an A110

Hi Folks,

I've just joined the forum, because I'm looking into getting myself an A110, a car I've wanted ever since I saw Bob Watson win the Don Capasco Rally in Canberra in 1974.

Back then I had an R1134 Gordini which I rallied (not very successfully I might add). I developed the R8 until the late 70's, by which time a mate had bought an ex-works R1135, and my younger brother had an R8 with a 12 motor in it. We were well into it, and I'm sure I could still strip and assemble an R8 or R10 with my eyes shut!

Advertisement

Anyway, I had hoped to be able to buy another Gordini, but they seem pretty rare these days, and then a bloke up here in Brisbane, Brent...., told me about the Alpine replicas and suggested I get on this forum, and also talk to Colin at Alpine Affaire (I'll be doing this shortly).

Is there anyone here who's built up one of the replicas? I'm very keen to get an idea of what's involved, and ultimately, what engine and gearbox and any other parts I should use. I plan to rally it, by the way. Once that dust gets into your blood, it stays there!

Look forward to hearing from anyone on the A110.

Regards,

Al

As I remember the replicas never got past the ADRs, but Colin does have moulds for the panels to repair an A110. He also has a full backbone chassis hanging on the wall. Best to start searching Ebay etc and various Alpine forums. Maybe the repair of a sad one would cost less than importing a nice on plus Duty and GST.

When I was in England last year I looked at a few. Roughies, and there were a few, were $20 000, with $50 000 buying a nice one (1600S)plus taxes etc. If it is over 30 years old it can be left, LHD.

Spain may be cheaper, and France is probably the most expensive.

An R8G, if available for sale in Aust would probably pull $16K to $20K in nice condition.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Cor

Than you have to mutch Cash aroud there.

You pay here in Europe about € 25000,00 for one in exelend condition.
    The price goes by the year higher.

25 000 euro is approximately $42 000 Australian Dollars, plus Freight, plus Import Duty, plus Government Statutory Tax of 10% on the whole amount of costs added together. All up it would be around $57 000 Australian Dollars.
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX

Alot of people might think this is very expensive, but some of those A110's can be quite rare these days and with their history, plenty of people want them. Also freight can be quite different in price depending on if the car has to be transported first across land to the port, then port to port to australia, etc etc.

If you have the money and the will nothing is impossible, maybe you can go on a holiday to Europe to look for cars, this may sound $$$ but if you went to one of those alpine days in Europe like there was at Zolder, you'd have a good chance to meet the right people and see the cars at the source.

Have a look at the site below, they have some alpines for sale online
    --------------------
    Renaultsport / Alpines for sale
    http://www.carclassic.com/html/ALPINE.htm
    --------------------

Famous Alpine meet at zolder in 2004
    http://www.alpinerenault.com/
    Photos of the day.....
    http://alpinerenault.free.fr/galerie...lbum=8&stat=ok

I went to Zolder, and it made you believe Alpines were almost common. The whole event was just a sensory overload. I think there were 137 GTAs alone.
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX

Hey Alan that must of been way cool, you are right about the out of body experience, when I went to the Gordini day in france a few years back it was like that, but zolder would have been amazing as I collected and surfed every site I could find about the day to see shots. I reckon it's the fact that the rare to find renault stuff here, like "G's" and Alpines are quite rare, and when you go there it's maybe still rare, but as they sold the cars there, and you have so many people, that's the difference, just huge amounts of amazing cars.....

So what stood out to you as in cars, and were there any good trade stalls etc..... or was it just all good fun and mental overload :-)

The 40 odd A110s were amazing. There were a half dozen A106s. Maybe 11 Spiders. Renault brought a semi trailer along, loaded to the roof with just Alpine parts. These parts were sold at very good prices around 35-50% off retail.

Unfortunately it is difficult to bring a lot of parts home in your bag, and if you sent them home I expect Customs would want their cut again.
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX

Fellow Frogger!

Default A110

Most of the ones here in Kiwiland have come from Mexico. You expect to pay upwards of $13000 US plus freighting, kick backs to the Mex police, freight companies, local transport etc. It also helps to have someone go look on your behalf. This may help?

For about $20,You can get realy cool a110 diecast replicas from Vic markets.(Melbourn)
    I've got one glued to the dash of my fuego.About as close to owning a a110 as I'll ever get. It catches peoples attention and gets much more interest than the fuego its in!
    Jo

Just to follow up on my original post, I now have my A110 - a blue 1100VA Dinalpin from Mexico via NZ. It has an R12 engine with 45DCOE Weber and extractors and 4sp box. Thanks to Colin Stark (Alpine Affaire) for the lead, and Nigel Russell for selling me the car.

Right now it doesn't have a skerrick of wire in it as the loom and the additional wiring were shot, so next week I'll be rewiring it from scratch.

It will be at the Renault Car Club of Queensland's Renault Sport and Alpine Expo on 10 July, and then I begin the process of turning it into a Group 4 rally car replica.

This year I'll rally it with the R12/4sp configuration, and then the plan is next year to go to an 1800cc engine with a 5sp dogbox, LSD and front-mounted radiator.

And yes, I mean gravel, forest rallies, not Targa-type events. I am so looking forward to getting back onto the dirt again.

Regards,

Al

condradulations!!!!!!!
    Jo

All that searching, and to think that someone just stacks them up in a shed :-)

http://www.garciaauto.com/index.php?page=ficha&id=1429

Simon

That is amazing shot, have a look at these of the same site, anyone know the house ;-) ...
    http://www.garciaauto.com/index.php?page=ficha&id=1431
    http://www.garciaauto.com/index.php?page=ficha&id=1430

It's almost like the guy in france that has all those Alpines and R5Turbos sitting around his house under the verandah and outside in the snow and heat all year round..... How does he get this many but it does make you wonder about the history of the A110 in mexico and when it was a hit car, and when it's image started to drop, ie lows in price and desirability for this guy to buy up some many cars....

Like Colin at Alpine Affaire has photos on his wall in his showroom of the guy in belguim who has a underground shelter full of Alpine A110s, A310s, GTAs etc, he even has a alpine concept car I think ...

Congratulations on the classic buy, it's great that more alpines are entering Australia, this year has seen a few hit our shores ... and I reckon you will have no hassles in building up your new pride and joy for the dirt.....

Rob Lee and his A110 in SA
    http://www.geocities.com/alpinesau/

And the Alpine weekend - I suppose will be bigger with more cars in aust
    http://reality.sgiweb.org/mg/alpineweekend/
    Last edited by Covert; 24th June 2005 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    I've got one glued to the dash of my fuego.About as close to owning a a110 as I'll ever get.
    That reminds me of the reason why I bought my Europa
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Default Europa build -vs- Alpine build

What, you own a English fibreglass car with a French heart..... Europa is your europa like the alpines, part's bin cars with parts source from all over the place being hand built jobs.... all you lack with the english car is the french smoking "gitanes" craftsmen putting the cars together ;-) or I AI R8's case with his A110 ... Mexican Tequila drinking bandito craftsmen ... would not want to mess with those dudes :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    That reminds me of the reason why I bought my Europa
    Last edited by Covert; 24th June 2005 at 09:24 PM.

There has to be someone out there in Meyhicco who knows this guy....I'll buy 2 of his cars, even to make one good one
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Default 1800cc kit for the A110

I posted this in the R17 block section, but thought it would be good here as well, as far as I know Rob Lee in south australia has ordered a kit for his A110 ... so theres a start.
    Covert

------------ 1800cc kit ------------
    ---------------------------------------

1800 piston and liner sets in stock.
    You can use the original 844 crank and rods.

The liners are thicker than the Meca Parts ones and less liable to distortion.
    I have springs in stock to suit the cam 100BHP per litre, however the platforms on the head need machining to accomodate them.

Properly set up, the 1800 kit with one of my cams 100BHP per litre ie: around 185BHP. I have a hotter cam now that gives 110 per litre but then it is not as tractable.

1800 pistons and liners £695.
    Head gasket £65
    Valve springs and retainers set £76.

Piston and liner set weigh in at around 7kg for mail.

Salv Sacco address is:-

salv.sacco@virgin.net

Salvatore Sacco
    10 Burnsall Close
    Pendeford
    Wolverhampton
    WV9 5RU

Recent UK to Aud Dollar conversion ------>

Here is the Australian Dollar break down ...
    1800 pistons and liners £695. 1,674.55 AUD
    Head gasket £65. 156 AUD
    Valve springs and retainers set £76. 183.133 AUD

Thread Information