Build Quality Of Clio Sport???
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Tadpole

Default Build Quality Of Clio Sport???

hey guys

now i've heard lots of bad things from people about the build quality problems of the clio sport. as someone who is wanting to buy one this does concern me a bit. however i would like people experiences etc on this issue please. engine problems? what sort of build problems? chassis problems? suspension? interior? etc

Advertisement

i'm looking at a clio sport cup 182.

thanks in advance guys

I've never lived with the thing so can only comment from first impressions.

Trim, mouldings etc wise it's really crap IMO. The pug 306's are known for rattles etc but bits of dash, plastic linings etc generally stay intact. Not so with the Clio from the many reports from owners I've read and what I've seen with my own eyes. The trim I've seen on even brand new clio's in the showroom have looked very flimsy. A recent 182 I saw in the showroom here in Adelaide had part of the windscreen surround coming off! I'm sure people walking in aided the disintegration by picking at it, but seriously....

Other than that, I think mechanically from what I've heard and how most owners drive them, I think they are built tough. If you can get past the trim issue and really love the car, with a bit of resourcefullness and some basic materials, glues you should be able to fix most cosmetic things to better than factory.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Anyone seen the Top Gear review of the 182?? Sort of sums up perceptions of the build quality of the car

Quote Originally Posted by pastpugdriver
    Anyone seen the Top Gear review of the 182?? Sort of sums up perceptions of the build quality of the car
    nup. Enlighten us?
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Yes I did see the review. Jeremy Clarkson gave the car a thrashing of sorts, a real drive the way the car should be driven. He commented on the fit of components, the flimsy plastic blah blah, but when it all boils down, what are you buying the car for? A prissy little 3 door hatch? If so buy a Barina, or Pug 206(boring models only) or standard Clio. If you're buying the car for the thrill of driving, and the fun a Clio could be to own, I think you'd overlook a few trim issues. I know I would if I were able to afford one.
    {Renault isn't a niche car manufacturer in Europe, they are one of the big players everywhere but here. I fail to see why we expect so much of renault, yes they are great cars, but in the big picture Renault isn't too far removed from (dare I say it) Toyota in their business principle. Don't get me wrong I love Renaults, but we have to be realisitc sometimes, they are a mass production item just not here in Ozland. } [possible devils advocate here ]
    Australdi? Are the RS Clio's any less in quality compared to a basic Clio? You only herar about the build of the Sports, because no-one wants to hear about a basic Clio.
    Chris.
    P.S. If there are any RS Clio owners out there who can't live with their car anylonger I have or will make room for it here, and care for it as though it were my own flesh and blood
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

1000+ Posts

There's a rattle here & there, but no big issues where its counts... they appear to be bullet proof where it counts (engine, brakes etc...)

at the end of the day ITS A CHEAP CAR, with some solid performance mods... why does every one expect it to be the same as a similar performing $70k audi for half the price?
    *sigh*

He commented on the fit of components, the flimsy plastic blah blah, but when it all boils down, what are you buying the car for?
    Well you can't drive it if it is at the dealers getting faults rectified.
    If you were objective you would have some concerns about the number of faults being reported on customers cars on here and ozrenaultsport.
    One guy had the dashboard refitted after having his new 182 F1 less than a week!! Exhausts falling off, cars not starting, electrical problems etc etc.

It's these sorts of problems that put someone I know off getting one. He didn't want to replace one problematic european car with another.

Didn't realize they were so problematic.
    Australdi, are you allowed or rather prepared to comment. (seriously, and without malice from me here.)
    What were the Series 1 cars like also?
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    at the end of the day ITS A CHEAP CAR, with some solid performance mods... why does every one expect it to be the same as a similar performing $70k audi for half the price?
    *sigh*
    Completely agree re the strong mechanicals.

But 40K is not cheap in most people's books. I don't think most people expect it to have the same fit and finish as a 70K Audi. However, it would be nice if it had half the fit and finish of a corolla or at least significantly higher than its current fit and finish resembling that of an average 5 y.o daewoo. Actually make that 8 years..last time I checked the dashes of your average 5 y.0 daewoos were holding together somewhat better.

Look at the 206 gti180, in general it's also a 'cheap' car of similar price with similar solid performance mods. Yep I agree it doesn't go quite as hard and isn't as fun to drive as the rcs IMO, but cosmetic-wise it's put together significantly better, and mechanicals, mechanical reliability, equipment list etc it's very similar to the rcs.

- 306 gti6

How can anyone expect the RSC to have the same interior quality as an Audi hatchback at twice its price optioned up to the same RSC specs??? Sorry but you just can't expect that. And I don't know what some other RSC interiors have been like as some of you decribe, but mines alot better put together than 10 brand new Daewoo's. The GTi 180's interiors that I've seen have had nothing over my RSC, and don't tell me EVERYONE out there bar me is getting dud RSCs
    JoJo

[But 40K is not cheap in most people's books. I don't think most people expect it to have the same fit and finish as a 70K Audi.
    Remember the price being charged is close to the cost of a top of the range Golf V or a Honda Accord Euro. So you would expect a modicum of build quality for the price.

Tadpole

naturally someone who spends a fair bit of time sitting in $100k, $200k and $300k cars, clarkson for example, will find the clio interior lacking... imho the rsc interior and the standard equipment is quite impressive, leather/alacantra, xenons, etc.

I've had my 182 Cup F1 for just coming up to 1 month now, and have done around 850klms with no problems, well there is one small rattle coming from the parcel shelf, and occasionally the cruise control wont turn on until I 'reboot' the car....

must say, the interior plastics are pretty cheap & nasty, bit of a turn-off. But the cars a little beast so who cares.. Maybe the plastics are thin & flimsy to cut down on weight.
    1990 series 1, 405 Mi16 <-- Sold
    1998 Nissan 180sx TypeX, 2lt, rwd Turbo.

Like I said before on a similar thread to this. Who is going to write on a forum, "there is nothing wrong with my car no rattles, no problems, nothing"? No one are they, who would be interested to read about something not happening.

Go and read the Peugeot or Citroen forum, or any other car forum for that matter, and you might start to think there are no good cars.

Oh, yes, my two and a half year old RCS has no rattles (and it has been driven on some very rough dirt tracks). The only trim problem was a piece of plastic on the windscreen surround working itself off which the dealer fixed. The only other problems were the airbag warning light, easily fixed, and the starting problem, fixed by the dealer replacing the TDC sensor as soon as I reported it.

It is a great little car which I love so much I have no intention of selling it in the near future.
    '02 Renaultsport Clio
    '69 MGB Mk II (Group S race car)

Remember the price being charged is close to the cost of a top of the range Golf V or a Honda Accord Euro. So you would expect a modicum of build quality for the price.
    And you reckon that price alone is a valid comparison between those dissimilar cars? I seriously doubt that any of the potential buyers of the Golf and Accord would consider an RS Clio, and neither would a person considering buying an RS Clio consider a car like an Accord Euro, or a less sporting Golf. The Polo and Clio have similar interiors, the Honda Jazz probably has a few touchy feely extras but has a few bare spots and sharp edges that surprised me in a motor show comparison. The extra that you are paying for in the Renaultsport version is the mechanical engineering and sport additions, which obviously take it into another price point similar to its equivalent competitors.

French interior build quality has never really been top shelf. If interior build quality is your bag, you are probably better off considering something not French. But to many French car owners it is the driving quality and enjoyment that matters, and is generally the thing that is remembered long after the bugs have been ironed out.

look at it this way:

for every dollar less spent on interior finish, there is a dollar spent on drive, box, etc.

yes, its not great on the inside - but irecon the seats rock, i really really do. I think the leather and alcantra is excellent. I think the trip computer is excellent, the remote control for a reasonably decent stock stereo system makes the whole package bloody good. Yep, i get a little niggle every now and again.

To this end, if you instead buy a golf or jazz on the wieght that the qualtiy is better, imagine the look on your face when you had to take it back to the dealership to have the materal on the whole back seat put back together and re-stiched/attached (like what happend on a mates golf) or taken back to the dealer when the back door locks are stuffed (like what happend on my secratary's jazz).......

..yea.
    '87 Camry 2.0ltr injected---------5min 11 sec
    '85 Charade turbo 700cc----------5min 06 sec RESPECT
    '99 GX Impreza 2.0ltr-------------5min 02 sec
    '99 WRX w/ hi-flo exhaust------4min 46 sec
    Byrnesy's 172---------------------- 4min 25 sec

Quote Originally Posted by RSC172
    How can anyone expect the RSC to have the same interior quality as an Audi hatchback at twice its price optioned up to the same RSC specs??? Sorry but you just can't expect that.
    in reply to my previous post:
    Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    ..I <b>don't</b> think most people expect it to have the same fit and finish as a 70K Audi.
    Taking the rose coloured glasses off might help you read my sentence a little easier?

I think a few are getting the wrong idea. Nobody's whinging about a few bloody rattles. Most Renaults and Pugs, even new'ish ones, have them and hopefully they will continue improving the quality so future cars will be better in this aspect. Minor rattles aren't great, but for most people they're somewhat acceptable. Equipment levels are fantastic too, I don't think anyone said anything about that either. French cars are generally known for providing a lot of equipment for the price. Fine.

I don't think however that it is acceptable for most people to buy a brand new car and have to go back to the dealer within a couple of months because bits of the dashboard or windscreen surround have fallen off!

It's also a very valid point that it's not happening to all RCSs. I'm certainly not saying that it is. I'm sure there are many owners who own these cars and haven't had a single piece of trim fall apart. Just like I'm sure there are pug 306 S16 owners who haven't had to replace coil packs every couple of years or more often. However S16's are generally known for going through coil packs and RCSs are generally known for fantastic handling and bits of plastic coming loose.

First impressions count, but fifth impressions even more so. I haven't seen a huge number of rcs, but the 172 and 182 I've driven both were very quick cars that handled great. Therefore I have an opinion of these car's performance. I've been in and checked up close five rcs's all bloody brand new, and all of them had some bit of plastic coming loose, or partially detached! I'm certainly not God's gift to engineering, but have had sufficient experience in such environments, I certainly know when something's put together well and when it's not. Same with materials.

Again, I'm not saying don't buy a rcs because there is higher risk of bits of plastic falling off in comparison to say, a vw golf. Heck if I could buy any new car for under 60K right now, I'd choose the RCS 182 CUP without hesitating. I love it. But continuing to completely accept appaling cosmetic build quality on these new cars is not going to be conducive to a great car manufacturer easily improving one small, but negative facet of what is a brilliant car. It simply does not add significantly to the cost of a road car to improve manufacturing techniques such that bits of plastic don't have a high risk of working loose.

Geez, I thought only gti180 owners in general (with exceptions) were defensive....

- 306 gti6

And you reckon that price alone is a valid comparison between those dissimilar cars?
    On quality it should be!! The Clios' quality is rather average at best.
    Sure its a great drive... but there are other cars that can combine driving pleasure with decent build quality. And they aren't all $70K

Let's not forget that the Clio RS 182 is a whopping 50% more expensive than a regular Clio. You would expect it to be screwed together properly for that extra outlay.

Let's not forget that the Clio RS 182 is a whopping 50% more expensive than a regular Clio. You would expect it to be screwed together properly for that extra outlay.
    Actually the RCS 182 is almost 100% more expensive than the base model Clio. I just don't agree that even a 20 grand new car these days can't have consistently good build quality. If even Hyundai and the local aussie manufacturers can do it, why can't renault and peugeot? Even some so-called luxury, expensive cars such as Jaguars, until quite recently, were put together horribly. I wonder what got Jaguar to pick up it's act, certainly not a bunch of owners excusing the poor quality '..but daaarling nevermind the headlights have fallen off, just remember the Queen mother herself rides in one...'

- 306 gti6

On quality it should be!! The Clios' quality is rather average at best.
    Sure its a great drive... but there are other cars that can combine driving pleasure with decent build quality. And they aren't all $70K
    OK, so what are these other cars, and what is your benchmark for quality in a vehicle that is equivalent to the RS Clio in form and function (not to mention in the same price point), that being a relatively small performance car derived from a humble passenger vehicle?

After having a quick scan around various other sites, there seem to be various quality issues with many other cars, some costing a considerable amount more than the RS Clio. Certainly the same could be said of those LS1 V8 Commodores, an SS "performance" Commodore costs roughly 50% more than its humble Executive cousin. Not to mention the BMW M3's which also had engine quality problems, at an eye watering 200% price premium of its 318i cousin. These are among others too, even the Pug 206 GTi seems to have its own share of problems. So the price premium of the RS Clio over the Clio "normale" would appear to be within the ballpark when it comes to the high performance versions of a certain models humble cousin.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    I wonder what got Jaguar to pick up it's act, certainly not a bunch of owners excusing the poor quality '..but daaarling nevermind the headlights have fallen off, just remember the Queen mother herself rides in one...'
    No....Ford bought them.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I don't believe we'll see any great improvements in interior fit/finish on Clio until the model is totally replaced. To really get the quality up, I don't think it's a matter of using different clips or plastic - more like a redesign/rethink.

The extra outlay buys you performance and mechanical engineering. Who cares about wobbly plastic when you can show a clean pair of heels to a large percentage of cars on the road today :-)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Actually the RCS 182 is almost 100% more expensive than the base model Clio.
    Was basing it on the Clio Dynamique.

Who cares about wobbly plastic when you can show a clean pair of heels to a large percentage of cars on the road today :-)
    Seems Honda can do it

Seems Honda can do it
    Not if it is made in Thailand it seems.......

"The Accord V6 is built in Thailand. The level of quality is "a bit different" to the Japanese built Accord Euro, he says. There have been a "few hiccups" with Accord V6 quality, but the latest batch is "pretty good"."

Ripped from Drive.com 25/2/2005

XTC

Seems Honda can do it
    The head start the Japanese had after WWII regarding the quality v's cost stakes (think Denning) is only just being caught up by the lower Euro marques (I say lower, cause like it or not Pugs, Rens and Cits are not Uber Quality cars, not by a long shot). It takes time to get handling/performance (I typical Frenchie trait), AND quality all in the same package.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information