182 Sport vs 182 Sport Cup ride quality
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 182 Sport vs 182 Sport Cup ride quality

hey guys, just wondering in ride quality is there much difference between the two? is the cup alot more uncomfortable day to day than the normal sport? is it as firm and as uncomfortable as say the dc2r?

Advertisement

also can people notice the difference in performance between the 172 and 182?

thanks

PS i'm new! good to meet you all, and i hope to buy a 182 in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by timbo
    hey guys, just wondering in ride quality is there much difference between the two? is the cup alot more uncomfortable day to day than the normal sport? is it as firm and as uncomfortable as say the dc2r?

also can people notice the difference in performance between the 172 and 182?

thanks

PS i'm new! good to meet you all, and i hope to buy a 182 in the near future.
    In the rcs 182 I've only driven the CUP, and I found the ride to be excellent. Ride comfort is a largely subjective thing, but my current car is a pug 306 gti-6 which runs 15" wheels and is renowned for having great ride for a sporty car. I found the rcs 182 CUP to have slightly worse ride over short sharp undulations like ruts etc than my car, probably cos it runs relatively low-profile tyres, but it's definitely not harsh IMO. Over those big bumps and dips it never crashed once and had just as good damping and ride as my car.

Before I drove the rcs 182 last week, I had driven a rcs 172 about a year ago so really stretching my memory. When I drove the 172 I didn't think it went significantly harder than my car, however the 182 definitely felt quicker, especially seemed to rev out free'er.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Tadpole

thanks for the tip champ. sounds good to me. cause my old type r was just too harsh.

Was yours the DC2 Type R? I've driven the DC2 and really fantastic handling car, but yeah it's a real backbreaker. The problem wasn't the jiggling on ruts, but the limited travel in the suspension itself. Was great for body control at very high speeds on a smooth track I'm sure, but there was just no compliance.

Are you thinking of buying the Cup without actually driving it? It's your choice but I'd advise against it. No matter how elusive and exclusive the dealership pretends the car is, it's YOUR hard-earned dollars. No matter how great every single person says the car is, it's not their money. Most people wouldn't buy a 160K flat without seeing it and having a building inspection done, even though it's an asset. I certainly wouldn't buy a car i.e a liability worth 1/4 of that price without going for a loooong drive. Maybe Ferrari or Lambo can afford to take orders without drives, but even most Porsche owners have test driven before buying. If Renault wants to keep making sales, dealer must comply.

- 306 gti6

Yeah definatly test drive both, and even the rivals like the Cooper S and GTi180 just as a comparison, you may even surprise yourself and find you like one or the other better than the Renault (doubt it though)
    JoJo

Tadpole

thanks for the replies guys. mini S is too expensive... 38 something before onroads, and also underpowered. mum has a 206 gti 180 and i just can't cope with the gear box, way too long in the throw. car also feels too high and the engine doesn't rev nearly as smoothly as the clio.

Wish my mum had a gti180!!! I didn't find the gti180's gear throw long as much as I found it crunch if I shifted too quickly at high rpm. I also don't think that the car itself is too high. You sit quite low in the bucket seats and the car does have a very low roll centre. I found I sat higher in the RCS and it seemed to roll a fraction more though I definitely prefer the way the RCS handles (though both have very similar outright grip IMO). btw if you're happy with the ride in your mum's gti180, you'll have no problem with the RCS Cup as IMO the Cup rides better. Agree re the engine, found the gti180 to be slightly coarse at higher rpm (so is my car though) but it still revved out really freely. The main difference in engines between the RCS and gti180, I find the RCS is significantly torquier at lower rpm.

- 306 gti6

Yep gotta love that torque Driving around town you can leave it in higher gears and still drive around with some poke because the torque spread is right across the rev range
    JoJo

Thread Information