cooked Fuego motor
  • Help

Default cooked Fuego motor

Just recently I had noticed a burning oil smell from the fuego but had been unable to find the source.I was also finding the car getting really hot in trafic and not wanting to cool down with the fans.Then the fuel consumption jumped and the car ran like a dog when lots of throttle was required and died altogether on steep drives.Also had a dead spot at 3000 rpm.
    Decided to pop the lid of the carby and spray some fc's down there.
    It was then I noticed the choke flaping around on its own, and the butterfly shaft had enlarged its retaining hole enough to nearly pull the circlip through.Also the choke seemed to not be getting hot as the engine heated up.Did a bodge and circumcised the carby.removing the choke flaps.Suprisingly, the car runs fine even when cold.and I can give full throttle now.Still no heat in the choke or carby base, but bloody hot inlet manifold.
    I undid the water hoses to the choke,whilst runing the motor, and nothing flowed.All of a sudden 2 litres of mud and shit came bubbling out,like I'v never seen before.This was grey,and very very fine.Put a nulon radiator cleaner through the system and replaced coolent.I reckon when the head comes of it will look like the head peterT posted a while ago. fully baked.
    I think the cooling problem has improved, but I'll be keeping a very close eye on the temp needle this weekend,driving to Melbourn.
    Jo

Advertisement

oh dear... Cooking them is about the only way to kill these motors. I had one that got so hot (after a head gasket went) the oil boiled, poured smoke out the exhaust and eventually just cut out. But after it cooled down, it started fine, but was never the same since. It killed the ring tension and glazed the bores so always gave a puff of smoke on start up, but still went for another 40K km. Hope it gets you down here and back though , but I am sure it will now it has proper coolant flow. Just check the how much pressure is building up in the coolant - ie has the head gasket survived?
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

I can leave the lid off the expansion bottle with motor running
    Is this what you mean,Haakon
    Maybe I should take the whole R21 donk.
    Jo

It really needs the pressure to cool properly (higher pressure raises the boiling point), so leave the cap on. But check that the hoses dont get too tight. If in doubt, take it to a radiator place and they have a quick chemical test to check for combustion products in the coolant. If the gasket is leaking, I wouldnt be driving it to Melbourne!!

But if its running cooler now, it should be fine. You know when the gasket is gone - hoses get very bulgy under the pressure and it will get very hot at the lights.

re; combustables. thanks for the tip. how long till they appear. coolent only in car for 24 hours.
    Jo
    Ps.
    there is a guy in norway who needs your efi conversion!!

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    re; combustables. thanks for the tip. how long till they appear. coolent only in car for 24 hours.
    Jo
    Ps.
    there is a guy in norway who needs your efi conversion!!
    Norway?

Combustion products (ie exhaust gases in the coolant) will show up straight away. Is there any "oiliness" to the coolant or under the rad cap?

Sorry,Denmark.
    No oil droplets in water. black shit on rad cap. could have been rotten rubber.Have booked in for a $15 combustables test tomorrow.
    Still gets hot at red lights. up to 3/4 or a little above.
    Jo

Yippeee. No combustables in water.
    Jo

good news - told you they are hard to kill . See you Saturday then.

1000+ Posts

Default Fuego boiling

Jo

Likewise hope to see you at the weekend. Just make sure that both the expansion bottle cap and the radiator cap are sealing well (black rubber seal should be in good condition) otherwise without pressurisation the radiator boiling point is lowered. e.i. boils at a lower temp than it normally would!!

Enjoy the experience - love my Fuego on the highway!!

Ken

Thread Information