rear engine Skoda/Renault relationship
  • Help

Default rear engine Skoda/Renault relationship

I've heard that rear engine Skodas were based on Renaults. Doe anyone know if this is true and, if so, how much is interchangeable between them?

If they are based on Renaults they seem to have made quite a few dodgy changes to them (e.g. worm and nut steering as opposed to rack and pinion).

Dave

Advertisement
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Aside from being rear engine/swing axle, there are no interchangeable items between the rear engined Skoda's and Renault's. For a start the Skoda has an alloy block with an irn head, the Renault vice versa, and the Skoda has quite a different body construction. I'd say the inspiration for the rear engined Skoda's commencing with the Sabre series would be both from VW, Tatra, Fiat and Renault in an overall design concept, being rear engine/rear drive, rather than an actual copy.

1000+ Posts

I actually have an unregistered 120L. While i'm not particularly curious about why and what, the secretary of the Skoda club has pointed out that Skoda was producing cars prior to Renault and the 'technology' idea as Simon points out is probably from VW. Hans Treblinka was the origional designer of the Beetle concept. Ferdinand Porsche adaptet it for the third reich VW.
    Stand to be corrected, but think this is close to how it is.

The rear engined Skoda is actually quite nice to drive (except for the steering) which was replaced for a r&p post '82/3. It's also a bit gutless but i put on a Weber and a Cortina GT profiled cam with a straight through exhaust. It actually kept up with traffic easily. In fact, a lot of the high powered show cars got in my way. What's more, it fits between parked cars and the trams - this i miss most. Don't like the stupid queuing and space wasting. It's not helpful for traffic flow.

JoBo

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo
    I actually have an unregistered 120L. While i'm not particularly curious about why and what, the secretary of the Skoda club has pointed out that Skoda was producing cars prior to Renault and the 'technology' idea as Simon points out is probably from VW. Hans Treblinka was the origional designer of the Beetle concept. Ferdinand Porsche adaptet it for the third reich VW.
    Stand to be corrected, but think this is close to how it is.

The rear engined Skoda is actually quite nice to drive (except for the steering) which was replaced for a r&p post '82/3. It's also a bit gutless but i put on a Weber and a Cortina GT profiled cam with a straight through exhaust. It actually kept up with traffic easily. In fact, a lot of the high powered show cars got in my way. What's more, it fits between parked cars and the trams - this i miss most. Don't like the stupid queuing and space wasting. It's not helpful for traffic flow.

JoBo
    We've covered parts of Hungary by Skoda and they're pretty reasonable in my view. And this comes from an R8 owner!

However, no relationship!!

JohnW

A friend of mine had a Skoda, he say's the only thing it could do better than an R10 was break down True story.

David.

One cool thing with all the rear engined four door Skoda's though is that the front windscreen is interchangeable with the rear screen. A feature that could be useful......

Thread Information