17" wheels
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 17" wheels

Default 17" wheels

I remember reading somewhere here that 17 inch wheels wont work on a Fuego.

Why???

If you use suitable lower profile tyres to retain rolling diameter, what would the problem be?

The reason I'm asking is I have stalled with my search for 16 inchers. There are plenty of wheels available, but tyres are few and far between for a 205/45 16" with a suitable load rating. Fuego's need an 88 rated tyre, and I have only been able to find 1. This will present problems in the future.

And I dont want to go for a 15 unless I have to.

Advertisement

If you use a lower rated tyre, it is defectable. If you have a prang and your insurance company finds out - they dont have to pay out. I have checked with rego authorities in WA, SA and VIC and they all just laughed when I mentioned getting a lower load rating approved.

Any ideas anyone???
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequatly explained by stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniel
    If you use a lower rated tyre, it is defectable. If you have a prang and your insurance company finds out - they dont have to pay out.
    Any ideas anyone???
    How legal is the 17" combination? I thought that the maximum legal diameter increase is 2" over stock size, so in the case of a Fuego with approx 13.5" rims stock, the maximum legal rim size is effectively approx 15.5" likely say 16" to adopt a sensible size.

Administrator

The Fuego comes out in European markets (and US) with normal rims (13 and 14 inch) and tyres...

The only reason the Aus(and a few other markets) Fuego's ran such a high load rating was because they ran TRX's which had an inherently high load rating...

If you can prove to the insurance company that the vehicle is released in other countries with a lower rating you might be OK.

My insurance company was fine with that...

I have been running 205/45 R16's on my car for about 5 years and I would not go any lower than a 45 profile.

The ride in my car is quite good but can become a bit tiresome on a really shite road....

Thread Information