5 stars for Modus now too!!
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 5 stars for Modus now too!!

MODUS BREAKS MOULD – NOT PASSENGERS!

The Renault Modus – which goes on sale next week - is the first ‘Supermini’ to secure the maximum 5-star rating in crash tests carried out by Euro NCAP, it was announced today (Tuesday August 31st).

The model also broke new ground by being the first in its class to achieve the coveted 4-star rating for child protection.

The announcement marks a major milestone in car safety design – proving that small cars can be as safe as bigger models for their occupants.

Modus has benefited from all Renault's safety expertise and is a fine illustration of the automaker's strategy of "Safety for All".

Renault is the only carmaker to have seven vehicles with the coveted 5-star rating in Euro NCAP tests, so confirming its commitment to safety.

Adrian Hobbs, Secretary General of Euro NCAP – the independent body charged with driving home safety improvements by motor manufacturers, said: “A supermini offering 5 star occupant protection will help reduce death and injury on the roads.

“It proves once and for all that if manufacturers are committed to safety – they can introduce leading-edge safety designs that will protect people in the event of an accident.

“The Modus rating shows that you don’t have to buy a big car to be safe.”

Euro NCAP tests showed that the Modus offered a high level of protection to passengers thanks to:

Advertisement

* A strong passenger compartment with an efficient energy absorbing front structure
    * Sophisticated seat belts that detect the impact and tighten to help prevent the wearer from slipping under the lap belt in the impact.
    * A six airbag system
    * ISOFIX attachments for child seats

Jacques Faure, Head of Passive Safety at Renault said: "Modus' performance is particularly satisfying as it's more difficult to protect the occupants of a small car.

“The Euro NCAP rating is the pinnacle of the approach developed by Renault for many years now – Safety For All. Our aim is to provide maximum safety for front- and rear-seat occupants in all cars, large or small."

Euro NCAP inspectors noted the excellent levels of occupant protection which Modus afforded.

Analysis showed that the damage sustained by Euro NCAP’s state of the art crash test dummies demonstrated the effectiveness of its restraint system, with its two-stage adaptive front airbags and double pretensioners. The body crumpled so dissipating energy and preventing any engine parts from intruding into the cabin.
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    2001 Clio Sport 172 (23/85)
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

I’m just wondering about the safety of miniature two box type vehicles, particularly from the point of view of rear seat passengers. I’m willing to be corrected if wrong, but my understanding is that there is no NCAP or AUSCAP testing or rating for rear end collisions. I’m wondering how safe say a rear passenger in a small two box vehicle would be if it was rear ended by a somewhat larger vehicle.

Sure there are lots of variables, collided hit with handbrake on/off, car or solid object in front of hit car creating a barrier etc etc all of which would all influence the severity of the prang. But just as the old one box type Kombi vans have grown an impact absorbing snout, I just wonder about the rear end safety of some of the smaller two box cars. For instance it would be interesting to perform a test on say a Megane sedan/hatch, VW Golf/Bora to find if infact there is a safety difference for rear seat passengers in the event of a rear end collision.

Also Craig, you may be able to tell us, how different are the child restraint anchorage points in a Euro spec Clio compared to the AUS spec Clio with its ADR approved crude child restraint bar attached to the rear of the boot floor?

Icon10

craig this great news indeed. Do u think the Modus will be sold here in Australia at some stage soon?
    The pluriel is going to be here in september....

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Also Craig, you may be able to tell us, how different are the child restraint anchorage points in a Euro spec Clio compared to the AUS spec Clio with its ADR approved crude child restraint bar attached to the rear of the boot floor?
    Its all different. Here (in Oz, coz I'm here for a month) we have the crude belt based system of the past. Europe has moved to ISOFIX for all new cars. This, as I understand it, means there is a base secured in the car to mounts under the rear seats that in turn is bolted to the chassis. The capsules then fit into their bases. No belts required AFAIK, certainly not for the major tie down effect. Car seats also use the ISOFIX an no belt system.

We borrowed a friends capsule here to go in my Clio Sport and although we dont have ISOFIX in our Twingo its a big difference. The capsule we have at home in Lux is damn easy to use and not a hassle at all for a two door car. In some ways the current Oz system is possibly safer than the old Euro style, but ISOFIX is the new secure method. You can have ISOFIX retro fitted to current cars (eg Mk1, Mk2 age Clios)

When our baby gets to car seat age we will be buying an ISOFIX seat, and quite possibly a Modus next year in the February car sales.
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

Actually the ISOFIX system is probably something that Renault Aust. should promote and publicise if it can be retrofitted to their current (from 2001) range. Only the other day I was reading that the current Subaru range were the only cars in AUS able to take ISOFIX child restraints. It was used in the context that ISOFIX is better than the current belt system because iof the fixed arrangement of the restraint, and that ISOFIX restraints so far in AUS are quite rare.

Thanks for the reply Craig, and enjoy your time here! Soak up those sun rays while you can :-)

For more Modus fun:

www.modus.renault.fr
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Icon2

that site is very cool. Only if it was sold here....

Fellow Frogger!

Hold your horses Daniel, its only just gone on sale in Europe and wont be in every showroom yet. It'll be awhile before it makes it here.
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

This isofix label hit me in the face as i was in a friends laguna the other day. (I saw it on the seats), had not noticed before. Laguna is another great Renault.

Thread Information