Come to conclusion that RSC ESP system is crap
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Come to conclusion that RSC ESP system is crap

I had my RSC out in the wet yesterday, there's no way the ESP system is going to help me in a dangerous situation, I'm able to get total understeer and the ESP doesn't even kick in. If i dump the clutch it will kick in but I still get heaps of wheelspin (sorta feels like reverse ABS) but as for 'stability', it's just not doing shyte.

I think I may have to take it back to the dealership to have it checked...surely it should be more readily activated..

Advertisement

Administrator

Is it turned on

ESP is a load of sh1t... I just drive with it off permanently; I don't want a computer telling me how to drive - If I want lift-off oversteer or trail-braking, I want it now!!
    1999 Seat Cupra 2.0 16v: silly cams, throttle bodies etc (sold... )

2003 RSC on 17s

1977 Mk1 Golf 2.0 16v

Yeah, but you like to think that if you did want it to work, that it would..

Administrator

I am under the impression that your Clio being a 2oo2 model, will not have ESP...

Perhaps other RCS owners can confirm this??

I think sum later 02 models have it. If u dont have a button for it then u dont have ESP.

Quote Originally Posted by janus
    Yeah, but you like to think that if you did want it to work, that it would..
    Definately. I guess it's a very, very hard thing to design though. In effect, it's actually impossible as ppls' driving tastes are so individual; they need to strike a balance between safety, fun and a million and one other factors. There's ppl that want the system for safety, but don't want to lose the traditional fun of a 'hot hatch' - striking that balance would be so, so hard!

On the whole, I'm VERY impressed with our new RCS! What a totally awesome car
    1999 Seat Cupra 2.0 16v: silly cams, throttle bodies etc (sold... )

2003 RSC on 17s

1977 Mk1 Golf 2.0 16v

1000+ Posts

i've said it before...

to get it to come on....
    u get some understeer & then try to turn even more... which for most of us is useless, cause we'll do the right thing, lift off & reduce the turn in...

Mine's a November 02 Build (03 complied), so I have the ESP button down to the right of the steering column next to the brightness control for the dash.

Someone mentioned that their RSC was a bit hesitant for the first km or so, I have noticed this now, it's almost like the accelerator's got a rubber band attached to the cable (I know it's fly by wire..) so it's not responsive, also if I just try to maitain the same speed (ie. foot keeping same position on accel) then the car varies a little, I like that it does this to warm up more efficiently.

Did anyone else stall their RSC regularly when they first got it, or am I just a total retard?

Did anyone else stall their RSC regularly when they first got it, or am I just a total retard?

just you...

i have stalled the clio once only.

although it is abit of a tricky clutch if your not used to that particular style. I have drivven several cars with brass button clutches, they make the clio seem like it has inches of play in the pedal.

Someone mentioned that their RSC was a bit hesitant for the first km or so, I have noticed this now, it's almost like the accelerator's got a rubber band attached to the cable (I know it's fly by wire..) so it's not responsive, also if I just try to maitain the same speed (ie. foot keeping same position on accel) then the car varies a little, I like that it does this to warm up more efficiently.
    Yet another advantage of owning one of the 85 "Cup" cars, good old fashioned throttle cable. I've driven quite a few cars now with drive-by-wire throttles, from Astra's to Maserati 3200 's and Ferrari 360's and I'm yet to drive one that has the same instant response of an old fashioned cable. It's a bit like SMG gearboxes too, they're close, but quite there yet.
    Regards,
    Matt
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Imagine watching the entire French Air-Force crash into a fireworks factory. That's how much fun this car is."

Jeremy Clarkson - talking about the V6 Clio
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    I am under the impression that your Clio being a 2oo2 model, will not have ESP...

Perhaps other RCS owners can confirm this??
    My '02 doesn't have ESP, but it was a feb. purchase and i think late '02 models were the first to have it.
    If all you have is a hammer, treat the world like a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by Reno
    just you...

i have stalled the clio once only.

although it is abit of a tricky clutch if your not used to that particular style. I have drivven several cars with brass button clutches, they make the clio seem like it has inches of play in the pedal.
    sweet, I guess I'm special

I read that the BMC CDA filter improves driveability, maybe I should buy one (or just learn how to drive )

It's definitely the trickiest clutch I've used, first sports car...

1000+ Posts

You're a complete retard... & im next to you in the padded room...
    Even after i've had it for a year i still stall it every now & then!

First manual car was ye ol Hyundai, which i think had a hefty flywheel & you could comfortably accelerate from about 1000rev's, but the RSC with thick shoes catches me out every now & then, i've just been programmed to not use soo many revs off the line (all the time)...

With a regular throttle, a touch gives you some revs, whereas with this fly-by-wire type, you just don't get anything with a touch.

Hey, and I said 'total retard', not 'complete retard', there's a difference!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Like your old man said, I'm a bum and I'll never amount to anything"

"He didn't call you a bum, he called you a sponge"

"SPONGE! Does this look like something a sponge could do?!"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

jsut to clarify incase anyone gets the wrong impression. in my previous post i was having abit of a joke. kinda like this guy ==>

When i was researching the Clio before i bought mine I read this review
    http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring..._cliosport.htm

In it they mention several points (in red) that seem to go against my experience and what other people have said in this thread.

Pulling away from standstill is a little unnerving at first - due to the sensitive throttle - but rowing through the short-throw 5-speed gearbox is great fun, and although the learning curve isn't easy, it doesn't take long to accustomise oneself to the loud pedal

While I did have a go at the throttle for being overly touchy in the Drive section, the clutch is truly a thing of beauty, and engaging gears quickly and smoothly is both hassle-free and highly addictive

The drivetrain is really quite impressive, though if I had one criticism it would be of the throttle, rather than the clutch or the gear shifts. I just found it a little sensitive: Normally the first few degrees of actuation won't elicit much response, but the Clio is very touchy in this respect.

I've never found the throttle touchy at all Its not adjustable in some way is it ?

Although I've got over most of my problems with the clutch I still wouldnt call it a thing of beauty... especially on a test drive(s) when one would assume ppl would still be adjusting to it.

The ESP is mentioned here...

Renault has also upgraded all 2003 Sport models with switchable ESP, which I can honestly say works brilliantly

In reality, the ESP is definitely a valuable addition, and while you can tell when it's in operation, it's unobtrusive nature means you can concentrate 100 per cent on the next apex without being abruptly shunted about due to heavy braking, for example. Thankfully the ESP is switchable, and a little warning light will flash if it thinks you should turn it on, when you spark up the front wheels, for instance.

Seems like maybe he didnt know what was 'on' and what was 'off'. Doesnt the ESP light coming on while driving mean its kicking in and when the light is always on that actually means its off. Anyway just thought ppl might find it interesting.

Josh
    Last edited by ParanoidAndroid; 4th September 2004 at 06:31 PM.

Yeah, doesn't sound like they knew what they were talking about..

I've got this freaking rattle which just started in the dash at the top near the vent, it's really annoying, only happens when I'm cruising below about 80km/h.

Have tried to figure out if it's in the door or the dash, anyone...suggestions?

Janus,

Where's your rattle coming from? I've got one coming from the passenger-side of the dash, not sure exactly where. My passenger seat also rattles when going over bumps etc somtimes (seems as though the bolts need a tighten?), and also have an occasional rattle on the drivers b-pillar. Still love the car, but just those little things that annoy...
    JoJo

It sounds like it might be coming from inside the drivers door. Either that or it's the vent on the right of the steering column. My RSC's pretty quiet other than that, though there is a ticking noise coming from either the tacho or the speedo, I think it might be the aftermarket cruise control which is attached to the speedo, apparently it works on the pulsations which operate the speedo..

Mine has has the occasional rattle which I normaly fix by smashing my fist on the effected area. Seems to shut it up for a while

If its persistant take it to your dealer and get them to fix it. I know someone who had a rattle in the dash that wouldnt stop and they ended up having the entire dash replaced under warranty. Dont let them push u around tho because whats covered under warranty varies greatly from dealer to dealer and day to day. Demand satisfaction then slap them with a glove

As for the seats. My drivers seat used to move forward and backward while I drove and it turned out all the bolts where nearly undone. Had em tightened at the dealer. The can also squeeze the seat rails together with some vice grips if loose rails are the prob. Quite common.

1000+ Posts

More than likely the Air vent for the windscreen...

Zip tie it to the metal frame below & see how it goes!

Hi Janus
    It was me that commented on the hesitation when cold. All to do with the cold start for the Aussie Regs
    I have found that the best thing to do cold is just let it pull each gear till it hesitates and change to the next gear. In about a K it has reached 1/4 on the guage and if you hold a constant throttle I can feel the program change and the car starts to pull. I also believe that the program restricts revs to 5000 till the engine is warm.
    As for stalling the engine I believe that you need to keep the revs at 1200 or just above the labouring feel . With 11.1 :1 comp it doest much like being under 2000 any time. It just doest feel sweet, but above that who cares . They pull like an 8 Valve and rev like 16 V briliant engine I much prefer this set up to the Honda "ring its neck and then it pulls" VTEC. 220 HP honda is great but the Torque is so far up the rev range that the RSC has already dissapeared.
    I am wrapped in the car I have to say that Renault Performance stuff isnt known much here but they have always made engines that have very good throttle response. I rather like the middle gear light throttle acceleration punch who needs a turbo .
    Strangly the local dealers know very little about the Engine setup as far as the variable cam timing goes being a technohead I am curious to learn more.
    Cheers
    Graeme

Mine's a November 02 Build (03 complied), so I have the ESP button down to the right of the steering column next to the brightness control for the dash.

Nate, I tried putting my hand on the vent as you suggested, but this didn't make any difference, I don't think it's the windscreen vent...anyway, I'm taking it back next monday, there's a couple of things the dealer needs to fix, so hopefully they can figure it out for me. If they can't figure it out I guess I'll just have to do it myself.

The window tinting they installed for me at the dealership is bubbling out a bit on the drivers window, there's something floating around in the hatch back, and they forgot to stamp the service book for the 30k service.

Other than that I've also realised that the rear left wheel is way more worn than the other 3 (hopefully the spare is newish, but I'd say that the spare's already been put on when they're rotated the front to the back already..

Loving the car though, absolute cracker!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information