Fuego remote lock
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Fuego remote lock

Hi friends and foes,
    Does anyone know if it is possible to get a remote sender for my Fuego?
    I never had one as I bought it second hand and just found the receiver in the car
    Any help would be nice

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

John

There should be a paper strip with a number on it, thats the code for the sender, there are some new senders out there ( European Imports had a few some years ago) but they have to match the receiver code.

Then again my plip unit was virtually unused and the the receiver in excellent condition. I put new batteries in the plip and it would open the door from outside my Fuego IF you held it close to the glass and aimed it at the unit, but the batteries went down that fast, I just gave up using it.

If you can get an after market radio alarm unit sender/receiver and fit them, I am sure that they will work better than the original plip, and the batteries last much longer.

I have seen at least one Fuego rigged this way, but failed to ask the owner for the details of the units he fitted.

Maybe a cluey auto electrician, alarm technician or auto parts trader type (Supa cheap, Autobarn, Tandy etc) may be able to point us in the right direction for a suitable unit at a reasonable price!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by John Lefel
    Hi friends and foes,
    Does anyone know if it is possible to get a remote sender for my Fuego?
    I never had one as I bought it second hand and just found the receiver in the car
    Any help would be nice
    Hey
    You can still get new sender and receiver units ex france. They're expensive at approx NZ$800 so not worth it. The "plip" remotes were about NZ$280 a few years ago but i don't think they supply them separately any more. Put in an alarm connected to the central locking. Cheaper, more reliable, and secure.

farmerdave

The plips used by renault were also used on Pugeot 505s, Citroen bx's, cx's and a number of other cars of that era- they were made by Neiman and share the same encoding chip.
    A non-matching plip and decoder can be matched, the coding is done on both circuit boards by removing a section of the copper track which connects to each pin. Alternatively, a decoder chip from a spare receiver can be used to make up another encoder circuit.

Farmerdave

If you are handy with a soldering iron, I'd do this:

Pop down to Jaycar (or order online) the LA8970 Engine immobiliser. This will give you a pair of (radio) remotes, and you'll be able to wire that into your central locking AND get an immobiliser. Best bit about the radio remotes is the range is a lot better than the infrared (no more shoving the transmitter up against the glass window and frantically pressing the button!)
    http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productVie...Max=&SUBCATID=
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

I keep my pliper in my bag at all times as it has an amazing effect on small children. they absolutly love it with its sliding face, extendable antenna.and big red buttons.
    good for at least ten minutes of peace and quiet!
    About all its good for.......

farmerdave

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    Best bit about the radio remotes is the range is a lot better than the infrared (no more shoving the transmitter up against the glass window and frantically pressing the button!)
    Do you think renault designed them to work like this???

The IR remote works at about 5m away unless there is a problem in one of the circuits. Usual electronic problems, usual method of repair.

Farmerdave

Quote Originally Posted by farmerdave
    Do you think renault designed them to work like this???

The IR remote works at about 5m away unless there is a problem in one of the circuits. Usual electronic problems, usual method of repair.

Farmerdave
    Umm, no I don't think that they were designed like that. However, it has been my experience with several 1980's PLIP equipped Renaults that they deteriorate to something close to it.

After a clean up I was able to get my R25 to work about 2-3 metres away, but I have never been able to reliably get the Fuego one to work that well.

Anyway, none of this is help to the original poster, as he doesn't actually have a plip, nor do I suspect he wants to pay hundreds of dollars for one.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Thread Information