rsc engine braking
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default rsc engine braking

hey all!

Advertisement

I've driven quite a few cars by now, and one thing i have noticed about the clio is that it doesnt engine brake very well. Drop it down a few cogs and expect it to surge as it decelerates but it doesnt, it decelerates very slowly as compared to other cars. Why is this? could it be a sign of engine trouble? maybe the pistons not sealed in properly? compression down?
    any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by synergize84
    hey all!

I've driven quite a few cars by now, and one thing i have noticed about the clio is that it doesnt engine brake very well. Drop it down a few cogs and expect it to surge as it decelerates but it doesnt, it decelerates very slowly as compared to other cars. Why is this? could it be a sign of engine trouble? maybe the pistons not sealed in properly? compression down?
    any ideas?
    Well when I bought my Clio the salesman was telling me that the revs in the renaults are designed to decelerate very slowly whenever you take your foot off the throttle or you shift down so as it keep the car in the power band for instance acceleration if need be. If you tap the brake once while slowing down you will find that the revs will drop alot faster...

1000+ Posts

Like all the modern Renaults (and Peugeots and Citroens) the Clio is drive by wire (there is no throttle cable). It has an electronic flywheel - in other words the revs drop back to idle slowly in order to "act" as a flywheel. The reason for it is emissions control. I'm not sure why, but snapping the throttle shut creates more emissions than easing off the throttle.

This has the effect of reducing engine braking initially... Use the brakes though, they're cheaper than a clutch

Derek

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    Like all the modern Renaults (and Peugeots and Citroens) the Clio is drive by wire (there is no throttle cable). It has an electronic flywheel - in other words the revs drop back to idle slowly in order to "act" as a flywheel. The reason for it is emissions control. I'm not sure why, but snapping the throttle shut creates more emissions than easing off the throttle.

This has the effect of reducing engine braking initially... Use the brakes though, they're cheaper than a clutch

Derek
    When the throttle snaps shut, there is an increase in unburnt fuel causing an increase in hydrocarbons..

BTW - The clutch should not suffer any additional wear by using compression braking (unless you freewheel to a stop )

and air is cheaper than Brake pads and discs...

Clios have a heavy flywheel which reduces the engine braking. That's also the reason the revs take a long time to drop between shifts. The reason the flywheel is heavy is to give the engine enough inertia to allow the car to idle at very low speeds to reduce emissions.

1000+ Posts

heavy?
    i thought it was light, which is why its a bitch to launch & needs high revs??? :|

Thread Information