Launching Techniques
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Launching Techniques

Hey all,

Advertisement

What's a good launch technique for the RSC? Doesn't matter if I ease the clutch out or dump it. Once the clutch is fully out and the throttle is fully depressed, the front tyres will spin all the way to redline in first gear. Obviously not the best way of trying to get the car to progress forward rapidly.

I was just wondering how car testers managed to get the 7 second 0 - 100 Km/hr times if wheelspin is indeed a problem with the RSC.

I donít know how u can manage to spin to redline even when u ease the clutch out. You must be easing very quickly

Donít floor it until just before u hit redline. I find the best technique is to have the clutch right on the engagement point and have the revs at about 3.5 grand. When you release the clutch donít let it all the way out immediately (hard to do!). Slipping slightly is the go (its very hard to not slip it a lot!). The trick is getting the right amount of wheel spin. No wheel spin and it bogs down, too much and it completely breaks traction and spins all the way to redline. Slipping the clutch helps to get that balance. There's no way u can get a decent launch without spinning the wheels tho. Thatís just how u launch a front wheel drive. The best I've got is 6.5 (measured with a Gtech) and you will find you get low 7's no matter how bad your launch is (up to a point obviously).

The problem is the clutch travel is so small that its hard to get it just right. The RSC doesnít have a problem with wheel spin tho.

I would be interested to hear other peoples techniques tho coz I've never seen how anyone else does it.

Dosen't The RSC come with traction control?
    I drove the clio sport last night at springwood Dealership and all I got from dumping at 4000rpms was a little notchy wheelspin for a little then complete traction all the way through till redline and then a cherp into second.

Quote Originally Posted by David Mc
    I drove the clio sport last night at springwood Dealership and all I got from dumping at 4000rpms was a little notchy wheelspin for a little then complete traction all the way through till redline and then a cherp into second.

that is what most people get too.... me included

maybe he has a Clio 220hp or something!

Thats the ESP doing its job isnt it? Mines an 02 model so it doesnt have ESP. I think it might slow your times a bit because u still need some wheelspin.

He's right when he says if you dump the clutch it wheelspins to redline but dumping the clutch isnt what u should be doing if u wanna get a decent launch.

Well this is how i do it.......... 3500-4000rpm if u can do it at 4000rpm without bogging or too much wheel spin it would be perfect in my book...
    Dump the clutch, wheels spin, hold it until u gain traction then floor the thing... Once its wheel spinning hold it between 3500-4000 until u gain traction.... Really simple... if u perfect that, u can out jump any front wheeeler..
    Glad i can help!!!!
    Not to much illegal draging ok
    Jaime....

"Honda makes power for the hell of it, Renault makes power you can use".

Tadpole

yup...that is generally my launching technique too...over 4000 and your looking at total wheelspin to redline. i used to be able to chirp my car into second, but its not doing it anymore i think because the clutch slips a bit into second thus not allowing a firm transfer of power onto the ground...or it could be all those mods i;ve done..haha

The big problem is people using full throttle in 1st gear when you don't actually need to be (quite often anyway). You've gotta balance the throttle to the wheelspin. Try getting the wheels spinning with the handbrake on and dropping tyre pressures to 20-25psi if you want to run good times at the strip. Shifting to 2nd quickly is very important for 0-100s too, so make sure you only depress the clutch as much as you need to. If you really are going for it, don't even take your foot off the accelerator for shifts - you should be able to snap the shift so quickly that the revs won't even pick up significantly.... or just buy a WRX and ditch the clutch on the rev limiter and pull high 4's to 100 (mmm, maybe that's why out rex didn't last long after the g-tech turned up ...)!!!
    1999 Seat Cupra 2.0 16v: silly cams, throttle bodies etc (sold... )

2003 RSC on 17s

1977 Mk1 Golf 2.0 16v

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by David Mc
    I have an 02 model that doesn't have traction control.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupra_R
    or just buy a WRX and ditch the clutch on the rev limiter and pull high 4's to 100 (mmm, maybe that's why out rex didn't last long after the g-tech turned up ...)!!!
    My previous car was a MY99 WRX. Lauching it was a matter of dailing up enough revs not to bog the engine, dumping the clutch and then hanging on.... whilst hoping that the gearbox doesn't go bang!!

I'm still trying to get the hang of the clutch after 3 months of driving the clio. It seems to be an all or nothing affair. Too little throttle and letting the clutch out too slowly and you get a shuddering take off, rev too hard and letting go of the clutch results in wheelspin. Ah well, must be my crappy driving style.

The clutches don't bite all that hard on the RCS, I've noticed that too.

2003 RSC on 17s

1977 Mk1 Golf 2.0 16v

Quote Originally Posted by Cupra_R
    The clutches don't bite all that hard on the RCS, I've noticed that too.
    True that.... doesnt bite hard as cars like type R's... No chirps into 2nd unless its boucing on the limiter then slamming into 2nd, thats what i noticed.... Dont know why..... maybe Renault has a special feature that dosnt allow this, to make driving smoother, who knows..... maybe someone can shed some light into this matter....
    Jaime....

Yeah, I dunno, but it's pretty annoying really. We only really use it as a commuter, so I'm not going to slap a big clutch in there, but it wouldn't be such a bad idea

2003 RSC on 17s

1977 Mk1 Golf 2.0 16v

I cant figure this out, but I ve got my car to spin wheels (or 'chirp' if you like) out of 2nd easy. Thats really rocking and rolling though, and trying to get away from you mate who has a WRX... It sucks that its a quick 99 and not a heavy laggy crap rice half-burner like the 2001 model. A few of those have seen the diamond badge on my tail-gate a few times around Lismore and Ballina. Let the mother$%^ker feel it!

Has any one actually released the clutch so qucik on a down change once that you hear a metallic thump from in the cabin. That happend to me the other night when an Astra Turbo softcock - i mean softTOP blew me off the road and I downshifted from 5th to 3rd making after him. I shifted my foot so quick i swear I heard a thump.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbyrnes
    I cant figure this out, but I ve got my car to spin wheels (or 'chirp' if you like) out of 2nd easy. Thats really rocking and rolling though, and trying to get away from you mate who has a WRX... It sucks that its a quick 99 and not a heavy laggy crap rice half-burner like the 2001 model. A few of those have seen the diamond badge on my tail-gate a few times around Lismore and Ballina. Let the mother$%^ker feel it!

Has any one actually released the clutch so qucik on a down change once that you hear a metallic thump from in the cabin. That happend to me the other night when an Astra Turbo softcock - i mean softTOP blew me off the road and I downshifted from 5th to 3rd making after him. I shifted my foot so quick i swear I heard a thump.
    The thump, i should say is normal.... happens to mine too... I hope the renault box can handle it.... i think it should... thats normal driving right...
    Jaime....

Fellow Frogger!

*take mental note - remember these names when looking to buy second hand Clio*

Geez you guys give the car a good workout...

Fellow Frogger!

Quick Q for the future (as I think an RSC is leading contender for my next car). On the RSCs which have ESP - can it be turned off (totally off and stays off at least until the car is restarted)?
    unfrogged (for now)

Yep, you can turn it off (thank God!!)

2003 RSC on 17s

1977 Mk1 Golf 2.0 16v

Thread Information