A Kiwi Fuego Owner
  • Register
  • Help

Icon7 A Kiwi Fuego Owner

Hey guys
    Greetings from kiwiland. I've come across this forum and found many interesting pieces. I've owned 4 Fuego's over the last few years, and still have 3 of them - a 1984 GTX manual, 1985 GTX auto, and a 1984 Turbo. I've found some of the discussions curious as you aussies seem to have had things a bit tougher than us in NZ. Firstly we had a bigger range of models brought in. 1.6 litre GTS manual and auto from 1981 to 1983, 2.0 litre GTX manual from 1981-86 (auto 1983-86), and of course the Turbo which is the enthusiasts favourite over here (1984-86). My Turbo is in the process of a complete overhaul, and i'm having a brand new turbocharger built to further boost up what was a pretty fast car (97kw standard compared to 77kw for oz 2litres or 81kw for nz 2 litres). Secondly the problems with tyres. All Fuego's into NZ came with standard wheels and getting 185/65 HR14's here is a breeze - cheap and plentiful. I intend to re-wheel my turbo with 16 inchers off the new Megane II. My local dealer says they'll just bolt on.
    I've also never heard of interior plastics warping or any rusting problems (except along the glass hatch rear lip on early cars). I guess that's down to a more moderate climate.
    Renault has always had a better acceptance in NZ with sales increasing every year. Even here in Christchurch (popn 350,000) the local dealer has a brand new Grand Espace and Vel Satis in the showroom. Also imports of used cars from Japan means that Clio's, Megane's, Laguna's, Safrane's, Espace's etc are easily found and reasonably priced.
    I look forward to following your forum.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Hey there,

I have an r18 turbo that I am (slowly) improving. I keep in touch with a number of guys in Auckland that have renault bits or know people that do. It may be worth keeping in touch. I am really interested to hear what you have or are planning to do your fuego turbo, as my 18 has a bigger intercooler, exhaust and adjustable boost at present. I am looking for more, intelligent horsepower if possible. Drop me a line at [email protected].

Cheers Ben

ps for those jealous aussies out there I have a std(not going) t3 manifold and turbo for the 1565cc motor of a fuego turbo that I am willing to get rid of for not much, the major headache would be freight though.....would make a good addition for that 1565cc motor....

Icon8 Damm kiwis

I am all for banning these 'others' from ausfrogs purely for our own sanity.
    It just aint fair that they got all the good gear over the years and we look like we got what was left after the big fire sale......the stuff you usually see in a garage sale, which no-one else bought.
    Seriously it would be great to have the kiwi frogs start a thread and let us know what we missed.
    Might consider moving over the pond.
    What's the freight and import costs on a car from NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    I am all for banning these 'others' from ausfrogs purely for our own sanity.
    It just aint fair that they got all the good gear over the years and we look like we got what was left after the big fire sale......the stuff you usually see in a garage sale, which no-one else bought.
    Seriously it would be great to have the kiwi frogs start a thread and let us know what we missed.
    Might consider moving over the pond.
    What's the freight and import costs on a car from NZ?
    i'd be intrested in knowing this as well, i had planed to import a 3 door 309 GTI at one stage but now that the 15 year old rule is being phased out i dont know, how easy it will be importing any old car after the end of this year . i'd still be intrested in knowing the cost of shiping though if anyone knows

farmerdave

Sorry guys, couldn't resist- NZ is paradise for '80 's renaults as Renault was the top selling european car here until the events of 1985.
    You missed out on the r25 v6s, both series 1 and 2 - the s1s listed for approx. $91,000. The sharemarket crash killed that market for a while.......
    There also seems to be a number of late 70s models about, lots of r20s and a few R30s etc.

Farmer

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    i'd be intrested in knowing this as well, i had planed to import a 3 door 309 GTI at one stage but now that the 15 year old rule is being phased out i dont know, how easy it will be importing any old car after the end of this year . i'd still be intrested in knowing the cost of shiping though if anyone knows
    Hi tell them you importit for parts amd you be ok
    a friend of me does that to cv2 once a year when on holydays in froggyland

Quote Originally Posted by Renault17
    Hey there,

I have an r18 turbo that I am (slowly) improving. I keep in touch with a number of guys in Auckland that have renault bits or know people that do. It may be worth keeping in touch. I am really interested to hear what you have or are planning to do your fuego turbo, as my 18 has a bigger intercooler, exhaust and adjustable boost at present. I am looking for more, intelligent horsepower if possible. Drop me a line at [email protected].

Cheers Ben

ps for those jealous aussies out there I have a std(not going) t3 manifold and turbo for the 1565cc motor of a fuego turbo that I am willing to get rid of for not much, the major headache would be freight though.....would make a good addition for that 1565cc motor....
    Hey mate
    I'm not a mechanic or anything so not too technically minded, but the Turbo's had a few upgrades to boost power and reliability. I haven't even thought about boost control and the intercooler. Firstly the turbo's gone from an AR36 to an AR48 which should increase the power (combined with a larger compressor wheel with new exhaust should make a difference). It's also got a 360degree boost to improve reliability. Expensive though (it's cost me almost $1700). The cars mint condition so to modernise it i've obtained another set of the black ribbed side trim to repaint silver (body colour), colour code the bumpers, and new wheels. I'm doing everything so it's easy to return to original condition which is quite important to me. As to new intercooler, airfilter, exhaust etc, any suggestions?
    Cheers
    Rhys

Fellow Frogger!

Hey Rhys,
    The first mod I would do is a mandrel bent exhaust straight from the turbo, to a 2.5" system all the way through with two fairly free flow mufflers. You'll find that it won't be too noisy, and it tends to spool up quicker too. (Make sure it is mandrel off the turbo though, as from the turbo to the first muffler is apparently the most critical part) Any thing you ever heard about turbo cars 'needing' a certain amount of back pressure is rubbish- if you don't beleive me read Corky Bells "Maximum Boost" -at most public librarys and has lots of good info on turbo's.

As for more boost- well you can have a fairly crude (but effective) bleed screw, or a an electronic air bleed (read solenoid) or in my case I use pressure regulators to bleed excess pressure off. They all essentially do the same thing- some in a more sophisticated fashion than others. See www.autospeed.com for Julian Edgars pressure regulator method....Mine is like his...

Intercoolers- I have had two std tanks welded together to make one- it sounds horrible but it actually looks OK- the tanks that is. In fact the main problem became where the hell to mount the thing, it's that big?! I would get the std plastic end tanks changed for aluminium ones- it cost me $300 kiwi to get the 'double' tanks made up.

For two mods that can be easily reversed- and that means it shoudn't be cop bait- the exhaust and boost would be my pick- another one would probably be water injection as well (there have been heaps of threads about it on aussiefrogs) to prevent detonation- expecially helpful if you are running more boost than std. I am really interested in your turbo- did it not run a t3 std? I have been told by turbo places that 12-14psi from the std T3 is not too high- so this is what I have been running.

Hope some of this is of help

Regards Ben

ps another thing, I never really trusted the std boost gauge so got another one from Repco- they do read about 2psi (new gauge higher)different!

Quote Originally Posted by Renault17
    Hey Rhys,
    The first mod I would do is a mandrel bent exhaust straight from the turbo, to a 2.5" system all the way through with two fairly free flow mufflers. You'll find that it won't be too noisy, and it tends to spool up quicker too. (Make sure it is mandrel off the turbo though, as from the turbo to the first muffler is apparently the most critical part) Any thing you ever heard about turbo cars 'needing' a certain amount of back pressure is rubbish- if you don't beleive me read Corky Bells "Maximum Boost" -at most public librarys and has lots of good info on turbo's.

As for more boost- well you can have a fairly crude (but effective) bleed screw, or a an electronic air bleed (read solenoid) or in my case I use pressure regulators to bleed excess pressure off. They all essentially do the same thing- some in a more sophisticated fashion than others. See www.autospeed.com for Julian Edgars pressure regulator method....Mine is like his...

Intercoolers- I have had two std tanks welded together to make one- it sounds horrible but it actually looks OK- the tanks that is. In fact the main problem became where the hell to mount the thing, it's that big?! I would get the std plastic end tanks changed for aluminium ones- it cost me $300 kiwi to get the 'double' tanks made up.

For two mods that can be easily reversed- and that means it shoudn't be cop bait- the exhaust and boost would be my pick- another one would probably be water injection as well (there have been heaps of threads about it on aussiefrogs) to prevent detonation- expecially helpful if you are running more boost than std. I am really interested in your turbo- did it not run a t3 std? I have been told by turbo places that 12-14psi from the std T3 is not too high- so this is what I have been running.

Hope some of this is of help

Regards Ben

ps another thing, I never really trusted the std boost gauge so got another one from Repco- they do read about 2psi (new gauge higher)different!
    Cheers for the suggestions Ben
    The turbo's due to be back in the car by the end of this week, and then it's playtime. The car was totally original including the turbo. The last owner was a 40 year old lady who had it for 12 years and had no idea the turbo was shagged when i told her. The new one offers a lot of potential though.
    Rhys

Default To all you Kiwi's

I'm getting ready to sell my first born child and a kidney to get hold of the rear disc brakes (complete) from a Fuego Turbo or R18Turbo.

I need ALL of the bits to fit them to the rear of a Fuego GTX (drum brakes)

I have written letters to every Renault parts/wreckers I can find in NZ, but no replies yet.

If anyone can help
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequatly explained by stupidity.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniel
    I'm getting ready to sell my first born child and a kidney to get hold of the rear disc brakes (complete) from a Fuego Turbo or R18Turbo.

I need ALL of the bits to fit them to the rear of a Fuego GTX (drum brakes)

I have written letters to every Renault parts/wreckers I can find in NZ, but no replies yet.

If anyone can help
    Hey there Jack Daniel,
    I have a complete rear end disc setup from a fuego that I am going to put on to my R18 turbo (early versions only had drum rears) What sort of money were you looking to pay, I could put feelers out and see if there is anything out there....

Regards Ben

ps I have no idea how you'd get it to oz at a reasonable price though.

Default Brakes from NZ

I would appreciate the help.

I'm probably looking at about $300 tops. The gear must be in good, servicable condition.

I have no problems paying the postage to Australia. Its not that bad.

Shane (Jack) Daniel
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequatly explained by stupidity.

Thread Information