petrol tank(?) bracket -- R21
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default petrol tank(?) bracket -- R21

hi,
    one end of the bracket that runs crossways under the bottom of the car where the fuel tank is (i think? - it was dark) has come loose. i tied it up with a piece of string and got home ok, but does anyone know whether it absolutely has to be re-welded? or would e.g. drilling a hole in the end of the bracket and fixing it back up with some thick wire/a nut and bolt be a reasonable thing to do instead? nothing else seems to have fallen off yet, but i don't want to run any risks with the petrol tank. i know it's kind of obvious what i should do but the car needs other expensive things doing to it (e.g. the clutch) and i am trying to minimise its money pit tendencies...
    cheers

Advertisement

Tadpole

Default R21

G'day my name is Paul how are you?
    In regards to your problem welding would probably be the best solution,
    however welding near fuel tanks is generally not recomended. Drilling a hole
    then fitting a nut and bolt with spring loaded washers would be another acceptable solution but you need to be aware of what you are drilling into.
    I hope this is of some assistance to you.
    Ps I have a 21 Marsaille for sale if you are interested.
    Best regards Paul.

The attached drawing (from the Haynes R21 manual) may assist.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Tadpole

thanks guys - i'm surprised the tank has stayed in place as judging from the Haynes manual the straps are all that's holding it up! seems a bit dodgy as they are not the sturdiest and presumably the tank is heavy when full. oh well, looks like i will have to find a new strap.

paul, thanks for the offer of the 21 marseille, but i am in the other, far inferior, newcastle (-on-tyne, UK), for the next few months at least .

cheers

Thread Information