Clio Query.
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Clio Query.

Default Clio Query.

Hey all,
    Just bought a 2003 Clio Sport, lovingly cared for, but have recently noticed a discomforting sound. After I start the car, put it into 1st (or reverse), and start to pull away, after about 3-4 metres of travel a single "clunk" is heard under the car somewhere (almost a metallic sound). After this the car runs great. It doesn't happen every time, perhaps half the time. I have read some threads about suspension knocking, but the sound happens even when going straight.
    Has anyone here had any similar issue with their clio??

Cheers.
    OUI, OUI!! i'ts French.

Advertisement

I may have this noise... have taken it ti the dealer they as per usaly coln't find anything. so i will take it back again for a more thorough look.

When i take off, and go a few meters can feel it through the clutch pedal. even if the clutch is all the wya in or half way.

kinda sounds like a quick little "grind"

i find if the car is parked on a hill, have your clutch to the floor and roll down the hill in 1st gear with the pdeal still to the floor, you will still be able to hear the little noise. I had someone tell me it has something to do with the ABS engadging :| but yeah...

Default Thanks Reno

I will have to try that. And, yes, I suppose it does have a grinding sound to it also.

Thanks a lot for the help.
    OUI, OUI!!

I get a noise in the same situation but its more of a groaning or creaking noise Funny we all describe it differently but it may be the same. I assumed and heard (as Reno did) that its something to do with the ABS. It only does it the first time u start the car and I think only after its been stationary for a long time. eg in the morning or after work.

I cant see it being anything to worry about given that it only happens in that situation.

Josh

this question has come up before. i was told by my dealer that it's the ABS engaging itself. only happens the first time you roll off when starting the car. apparently nissan do it as well. very normal according to my dealer.

1000+ Posts

Hate to sound too stupid, but we're not talking about the Clio's automatic locking doors which will occur at exactly the time you describe (just after moving off from a standstill, and only the first time after you start the car - obviously it's already locked otherwise).

Derek.

nar i dont think so Derek. If it is locking auto locking doors mine dont work! lol cause i cant hear them.

the sound i am describing can be felt through the clutch pedal.

1000+ Posts

You can turn it on and off... it's in the manual.

From memory it's something like hold the locking button in on the dash, with the ignition off. Turn the ignition on, wait for a beep or something, and then turn the ignition off.

You'll find it in the manual anyway.

Derek.

My son has a new Ford territory with a similar situation producing this one noise - Ford dealer told him that it was the ABS resetting itself - they were not concerned

Freddie

1000+ Posts

Now you mention it, our AU Falcon ute makes a clunk within the first few metres too. I scares me when you say start up and start reversing in a tight delivery site of something - you think you hit something!!

Derek

Yeah, its really easy. Just look it up in the manual. I love it cause it makes the car feel more hi-tech fitting in with the auto wipers, headlights, xenons, headlight wahers, 124kw 2lt 200nm engine - ITS ALL GOOD! Something else to impress your friends who drive pissly little 1.6L golfs who think their car is better cause its black and has a 'flat' torque curve. (flat meaning it runs from nothing to bugger all, unlike Clio that runs from 'stacks' to 'oh my god we're all ganna die')

Keep speeding - but only when safe, chris

Thanks fellow renault joy-riders.

Glad to see it happens to someone other than myself. Also glad to see that it may only be an ABS problem. I will remember that when I roll the car 47 times after the brakes fail. Hey, what can you do. At least I'll be grinning from ear to ear!

Much appreciated to all who replied.
    OUI, OUI!!

Quote Originally Posted by OUI, OUI!!
    Also glad to see that it may only be an ABS problem. I will remember that when I roll the car 47 times after the brakes fail.
    No no, it's not an ABS problem, it's a self test that runs (I think at about 8km/h) from what I have read, basically the ABS computer cycles the pistons and tests that all is well with the unit. If the test fails, the ABS light will illuminate.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

ok here's a scenario?

what happens if you get T-Boned or it really hard before the ABS has tested itself??? will it make a difference? or wont it matter as slamming on the brakes at below 8klm/ph wouldn't induce the ABS to come on anyways?

I believe ABS is only activated over that speed, from what I read that's 8km/h, but it might vary depending on which particular ABS system your car has.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Thread Information