R4 Motor
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: R4 Motor

Default R4 Motor

Last night I finally fired up the motor for my R4 after it had been sitting around for many years. Ran pretty sweetly too for the few minutes it was going but I couldn't run it too long as it didn't have a radiator or muffler. This was pretty good I thought as the carby had no more done to it than a clean out of remains of bugs that had made a home in there over the last 20 years.

Anyway, two questions. How is one supposed to do up no.2 spark plug without removing the distributor? I have two appropriately sized plug spanners (3/4 inch I think), neither of which will fit past the distributor.

Also, theres a vent on the top of the carby bowl (28IFE carby) that is open which allows fuel to leak out and dirt and crud to leak in. Is there supposed to be a cap of some sort over this? If not, had do you stop the crud from getting into the carby bowl as it will eventually.
    (I doesn't show any caps in the workshop manual and my R4 parts manual doesn't even list the 28IFE carby for some reason).

Ren

Advertisement
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Find a VW (air cooled), Renault 16TS or Pug 504 tubular type spark plug wrench. The tube type wrench gives enough clearance, especially for No 1 over the generator.

If fuel is leaking out the top vent chances are the needle and seat are getting worn, as it generally doesn't leak out there. There is an alloy cap that is peened to the top cover, but I've only ever seen one. They usually vibrate around, wear off the peening and the cap joins all the single socks from the worlds washing machines. And in the many R4 miles I've done only once has a blocked carby caused me problems and that was existing crud in the carby. Covered 25,000 odd miles since then with no fuel problems.

Unless you are covering many miles ploughing through dust, grass and mud (like any good R4 should!) it is unlikely to cause problems.

Someone must have ripped the pages from your parts book, as the 28IF/IFE is a perennial on R4's!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Find a VW (air cooled), Renault 16TS or Pug 504 tubular type spark plug wrench. The tube type wrench gives enough clearance, especially for No 1 over the generator.!
    Thanks, I'll try to find one of these. Come to think of it, I did have some tubular spanners in storage among my plumbing stuff. Could be one of these fit.

Someone must have ripped the pages from your parts book, as the 28IF/IFE is a perennial on R4's!
    It's got the 28IF but not the 28IFE. My parts book is a photocopy not an original so there's a good change the page was lost or not copied in the first place. It's a couple of inches thick (double sided) so most of it's there.

Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN
    It's got the 28IF but not the 28IFE. My parts book is a photocopy not an original so there's a good change the page was lost or not copied in the first place. It's a couple of inches thick (double sided) so most of it's there.

Ren
    Sounds like it may be a photocopy of the PR 808.

The IFE was the electric choke version of the IF fitted to the 1963 model cars, the choke was unreliable so it was replaced by the IF from thereon.

Ren,
    I can sell you an excellent condition, original copy of the P.R.808 R4 parts manual for cars 1965- 70 for $25. I was thinking originally of building a hot 845cc motor for my 750, and got the parts manual to see what would marry in to build the motor.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore
    Ren,
    I can sell you an excellent condition, original copy of the P.R.808 R4 parts manual for cars 1965- 70 for $25. I was thinking originally of building a hot 845cc motor for my 750, and got the parts manual to see what would marry in to build the motor.
    Alan,

Okay, done, $25 it is. Are you going to the RCCQ meeting at Highway Euro tonight? If so, I get it off you tonight.
    Actually, I believe you had a hand in rebuilding the R4 motor I have. I got the motor from Trevor Scholes.

Ren

Icon11

can we see some pics of the R4 please....

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    can we see some pics of the R4 please....
    Well, there's not much to see. The R4 is almost completely stripped, just a rolling chassis.
    The motor-gearbox is sitting on a dolly I made up out of leftover bits and pieces and I'm running the motor on the dolly.

I was planning on shouting myself to a digital camera this week (buying myself a father's day present so my daughter can give it to me) so will put up images if you're interested.

Ren

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN
    so will put up images if you're interested.

Ren
    I'm not so interested in you putting up pics, but if you do, photograph the motor running at night. R4's spit cool flames when run with no pipe on the manifold.

Icon11

only do it if its no trouble if your busy its cool....

I'm not so interested in you putting up pics, but if you do, photograph the motor running at night. R4's spit cool flames when run with no pipe on the manifold.
    It made a good flame thrower when I tried to run it while the timing was out. The spark plugs were firing after the exhaust valves were open and the fuel/air mixture was in the engine pipe.
    Didn't run too good though. Actually, it didn't run at all.

Ren

Thread Information