Synthetic Oils?
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Synthetic Oils?

Default Synthetic Oils?

I know this has probably been answered before, but is a synthetic or semi synthetic oil preferable (or suitable) for the 17 Gordini? Am I better off sticking with a good quality mineral?

Thanks Guys!

Advertisement
    A Gordini is still a GORDINI!!!

In these older style motors I prefer a good mineral (Pennsoil or Penrite) or semi-synthetic with a bit of viscosity say 20W50. In my new 16 valve type motors I use full synthetic. (BP Visco 5000) Synthetic does make more power as the pumping losses are less.

In a race Gemini we definately had more power with synthetic oil in the motor and diff and auto trans fluid in the gearbox. The gearboxes lasted well, and were only $80 to replace anyway. Not that I recommend this to others, as it was just another small increase in a stock class, that after being "rebuilt" would run a 16.1 quarter mile. ie much faster than stock!!
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Quote Originally Posted by R17G
    I know this has probably been answered before, but is a synthetic or semi synthetic oil preferable (or suitable) for the 17 Gordini? Am I better off sticking with a good quality mineral?

Thanks Guys!
    I've found over the years that if you contact an oil company & ask the question, they have no problems ringing you back & discussing all the pros & cons for hours if need be.
    Shell in particular are and always have been a great resource in this regard, although years ago I was involved with a custom built competition engine and was somewhat taken aback when someone from Shell with an obviously twisted sense of humour rang to ask if it was a petrol or a diesel engine we were talking about after we'd given him all the specs including the compression ratio.

Try dropping Shell an e-mail, you may be surprised at how much info that gets fed back to you.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts

I think it was bobstheoilguy or similar...

Talked about not using synthetic oils after using mineral oils, because it dissolves the seals???

mite wanna double check that one

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    Talked about not using synthetic oils after using mineral oils, because it dissolves the seals???
    I've heard that they may leak, but not that the seal dissolves. Considering it logically - if the seals wouldn't dissolve when exposed to synthetic oils when new, why would they after being exposed to mineral oil then synthetic?

I'd imagine that it's more like once the seal loses its elasticity, there's a particular clearance between the seal and it's sealing surface. The (usually) lower viscosity synthetic then leaks because the seal gap is too big. That's a guess...

Stuey

I agree with Allan Moore

I am sponsored by Elf here in NZ and have used their full synthetic, semi synthetic and mineral oil in the Dauphine.

On full synthetic the engine was throwing around quite a bit of oil but more importantly I have very bad camshaft wear on the lobes, the camshaft grinder I took it to blamed the syn oil.

I now use semi syn and find it the best of all.

Interestingly Elf make oils especially for classic race cars and all are mineral based.

Ross

The cams in the 807 type engines are a weak point. They live in a bath of oil, but still destroy themselves regularly. Even in old stock motors the lobes are often worn, and yet the R12 motors of the same period seem to have little trouble even when modded.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Thanks for the replies guys!
    A Gordini is still a GORDINI!!!

Thread Information