Some help with a tired old Fuego...
  • Register
  • Help

Icon7 Some help with a tired old Fuego...

Hi,
    I recently (last weekend) purchased an 84 GTX Fuego, for $400 with about 9 months rego.

I just wanted it for getting to and from work, and I figured that the car was worth it for the rego alone (plus it's a hot looking car, with loads of potential).

When I got it, it had 2 problems, one was the headlights, indicators and brake lights not working, which I've had my local auto electrician fix for me, just melted, missing and dirty leads etc.

The other problem is over heating, I haven't really experienced it yet, but then again I've only driven it short distances with no traffic.

Advertisement

I'm not very cluey with cars, but I'd like to learn, so I going to try doing work on this little beast myself..

I was going to try flushing the cooling system, and changing the oil this weekend, so I got the haynes book from the library and studied this forum to see what I had to do. Can I do much damage flushing the cooling system? Like I said, I'm clueless with this stuff.

However, I'm having a little trouble with locating the Coolant expansion bottle, in the haynes book it is just above the battery, but in mine it's not there. I think it's above in the top left hand side. Here are some photos hopefully someone can give me a hand.

PS - That was my car that AR1122 had said siezed, don't know where he got that from, he just wanted to know if another engine would fit in.

Last edited by pjsmith; 25th August 2004 at 01:36 PM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by pjsmith
    Hi,
    I recently (last weekend) purchased an 84 GTX Fuego, for $400 with about 9 months rego.

I just wanted it for getting to and from work, and I figured that the car was worth it for the rego alone (plus it's a hot looking car, with loads of potential).

When I got it, it had 2 problems, one was the headlights, indicators and brake lights not working, which I've had my local auto electrician fix for me, just melted, missing and dirty leads etc.

The other problem is over heating, I haven't really experienced it yet, but then again I've only driven it short distances with no traffic.

I'm not very cluey with cars, but I'd like to learn, so I going to try doing work on this little beast myself..

I was going to try flushing the cooling system, and changing the oil this weekend, so I got the haynes book from the library and studied this forum to see what I had to do. Can I do much damage flushing the cooling system? Like I said, I'm clueless with this stuff.

However, I'm having a little trouble with locating the Coolant expansion bottle, in the haynes book it is just above the battery, but in mine it's not there. I think it's above in the top left hand side. Here are some photos hopefully someone can give me a hand.

PS - That was my car that AR1122 had said siezed, don't know where he got that from, he just wanted to know if another engine would fit in.

G'day,

The Coolant expansion bottle is in the Top Right of your photo, next to the heater fan assembly...

I would suggest you cover the back half of the bottle with plastic or similar, otherwise the UV light that hit's it will make it brittle and it will eventually crack under pressure...

With regards to te overheating, are the thermo fans cutting in??

Start the car up and let it warm up (atleast 10 minutes on a cold day) the fans should cut in when the gauge reaches about 2/3 - 3/4...

If it doesn't this may be the only problem...

If you are going to flush the system and replace the coolant, make sure you bleed the cooling system correctly or else this may also cause overheating issues.

Good Luck with your purchase.

Icon6

Thanks for that, I figured that's where it was, we followed tube to towards the radiator.

The other reason I was going to flush it was, that top bottle looks like it just has clear water in it, that's not right is it?

You can tell from the picture it's had a had life, not looked after like it should be. Makes you wonder how people can neglect their cars so much...

Also can someone tell me what the following parts are...
    Thanks Again

A Carburettor air intake

B - Oil filler cap (assuming orange cap) Or, breather hose (if the hose is rung)

C - EGR (Exhaust gas recirculation) pipes, for antipollution control.

D Vacuum reserve canister for heater controls

E Electronic ignition module. Renix electronic ignition

Thanks alot, I'll see how I go!

1000+ Posts

PJ

Good Luck with the car,and the pics are great. You do really need to get your own copy of a Haynes Manual as you will spend quite a bit of time searching through it!

Follow through with the checks on the coolling system to see if the fans and thermostats are operating as they should - check the other posts as there are lots of suggestions on possible reasons for cooling problems developing and ways to check them out!

Check for coollant leaks, is the cap on the radiator itself tight, and is the seal on the cap on the expansion bottle o.k. as there were a few bodgy caps that didn't seal properly sold as spares a few years ago. When you do decide to replace the coollant mix, this is one thing that I don't stint on, I either use rainwater or buy bulk distilled/chemical free water and mix it with a GOOD quality long life anti freeze anti boil concentrate. (I see Autobarn have NULON long life on sale at $29.99 for five litres of concentrate in their latest catalogue) that will do two or three cars at the recommended mix and I have found that brand extremely good and much better than the green coloured water sold at Supermarkets etc.

I note that your car has the heat transfer tube that goes around the rear of the engine from the manifold shield, make sure that it is properly fitted to bottom inlet of the large Air filter canister (just beside the carburettor) that will prevent the carby icing up during highway/freeway use. (Gonz of adelaide needs one fitted also!!)

Good luck and if in doubt, post!!

We will try and help!!

Ken

Default all that plumbing

guys just a thought,

what would be the outcome of removing all that anti polution gear and where would you start and what problems to look out for? and i quess you would increase polution

cheers edgedweller

1000+ Posts

Apart from raising the ire of the "green police" and risking large fines, the car would most probably run really well (so we have been told by those that know)

whether it would survive a roadside check or E.P.A. inspection is another thing and probably depends upon the home state. Some states/territories have less stringent requirements or enforcement than others.

Myself, I prefer to run with the pollution gear intact, even though it may not be operating correctly or need adjustment. I have found when pulling parts from cars at pick-a-part there are various 'modifications' overt and covert that owners have done to their cars. Maybe that's why they ended up there!

When my daughters car was tuned and set up with the HI-Clone device (see earlier post) they paid a great deal of attention to ensure the E.G.R. system was operating correctly as that was the way the Fuego was designed to operate.

Your decision and your ultimate responsibility I suppose - no good crying in your if you opt to take that path and get caught.

Ken

Most of my emmision stuff is at the tip! Below is what is left. My emession stuff rusted,cracked or perished .also the hot air snorkle running around the firewall was removed.out went the air filter unit too.and a pod put in its place.Thew out aircon and light wipers at the same time
    The charcole can was kept and the breather hoses replaced(to tank).The rocker cover and the can still breathes to the inlet at bottom of carby.Installed in this line is a watering system tap valve to reduce the level of vacuum.Without this,the car will never run well. also the pipe from the air filter to the rocker cover vent pipe needs an insert to reduce vacuum from the filter.
    Those pipes from the exhaust manifold fell off one day .sounded like a volkswagen with a blown out spark plug.I Removed these and spotwelded the holes.
    As they are on the underside of the manifold,you cant tell they were there.I think the trick to fooling constable clob,is to make it look un-modified,so leaving a cut off pipe with a bolt inserted wont help.
    I have never heard of the RTA randomly or selectively targeting cars.
    Trucks seem to be their main concern(and maybe Doof mobiles).
    Ironicly got a blue slip(req. for reg. interstate cars)with the car set up this way!!
    Dont know if it is related,but after doing this the car ran rough. From a spare carb,I took the larger jet out of the secondry barrel and put in in the primary. Idles well now.If any guru's out there can improve on this system,I'd love to hear it.

Thread Information