Renault 19
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Renault 19

Tadpole

Default Renault 19

Does anyone know if Renault 19 RT or any type of R19 sedan available in australia...or were the hatches the only ones ever brought over here? If so...where is the best place to get one?

Thanks Again...Daniel

Advertisement

Yes the 19 sedan was sold here, it was called the Chamade, don't know how many were sold or where's the best place to buy one but I do know we have one in our wrecking yard if any one wants a perfect rear half.

David.

Fellow Frogger!

We have a Renault 19 RT (Phase 2 1993) sedan.(5sp manual)
    I haven't seen another one on the road yet, but have seen lots of hatches.
    Great car, reliable and very quiet at speed.

Daniel,

There's usually plenty (relatively) of R19 sedans advertised in the Trading Post if you want to buy one privately. No that I've ever bought one but there appears to be more sedans for sale than hatches. Perhaps they just harder to sell so the ads stay in the Trading Post longer.

Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Icon12

danielrt my name is also daniel and i previously owned a 1995 Renault 19 RT sedan. I had it for 3 years and I liked it a lot. It was automatic. Great car....

Tadpole

I currently have a renault 19 4 door hatch but I am looking to get a sedan...I wanted a cabriolet but they weren't released in Australia. I don't know if I want to import one as it will probably cost me an arm and a leg...so I wanted a sedan so I could do it up...I don't really see myself doing up a hatch...:S

I will have a look in the trading post however I haven't seen any in brisbane...maybe they are a little more popular down south.

If you want a cabrio, you should be able to pick up a secondhand Megane Cabriolet for (ultimately) less money and hassle than importing a R19 Cabrio I would have thought.

..and I bet the Megane would be the better vehicle too.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Tadpole

I'll look in the trading post for one...thanks guys...and what do you think would be the biggest engine one could put into it....maybe a VTi-R 2.2 litre 4 cyl?

Quote Originally Posted by DanielRT
    I'll look in the trading post for one...thanks guys...and what do you think would be the biggest engine one could put into it....maybe a VTi-R 2.2 litre 4 cyl?
    Why would you want to do that?
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Tadpole

well you can't really put a turbo onto anything less than a 2 L...can u? im just exlporing options here
    Last edited by DanielRT; 25th August 2004 at 06:52 PM.

1000+ Posts

i know of a R19 Charmade in victoria but it is a Phase one. Think a hatch looks better for doing up. We have a phase I with mags 50 section tyres etc. as well as a standard one. I feel the standard is a nicer drive unless you enjoy (as i do) the speed limit on round abouts.
    As far as performance goes - it easyly breaks the speed limits and we have been cruising at 140 and one can converse in a normal level of voice.
    While the slush box can be trouble (as it can be on other makes) it is easy to work on and fix properly if you are reasonably handy with spanners (i'm a chef) and i've done a few. Perhaps i'll get around to posting a few problems and their easy solution about the slush box - the way i see them
    JoBo

Tadpole

I have been looking on the net for R19 sedan 94's but they don't seem to be in many australian websites. Does anyone know of a good aussie site with these cars for sale....i tried a few but they are mostly hatches.

Jobbo...do you really think hatches are better for doing up? I got one and I can't see myself doing it up...looking at the gallery images on google....the sedans look much better

Oh well....I don't think my 19 performs too badly...it gets upto 100 in around 10 seconds.

The 19 16 valve would be the easiest, cheapest, effective engine swap. Whole cars change hands for 500 pounds in England. I don't know the power output, but I was taken for a thrash in one in London, and was suitably impressed.

I always liked the 19 hatch more than the sedan.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Tadpole

Hmm, well I wouldn't mind finding out how I would go just importing an entire car from overseas...they are fairly cheap over there...thats no problem...however...how would I know if the car would be road worthy over here...is it risky...or are the people who buy it for you good? Would it be worthwhile to import a cabrio 16v or not?

Daniel

1000+ Posts

I don't know if I want to import one as it will probably cost me an arm and a leg...
    Make sure you get an auto with power steering, then.

I currently have a renault 19 4 door hatch but I am looking to get a sedan...I wanted a cabriolet but they weren't released in Australia. I don't know if I want to import one as it will probably cost me an arm and a leg...so I wanted a sedan so I could do it up...I don't really see myself doing up a hatch...:S

I will have a look in the trading post however I haven't seen any in brisbane...maybe they are a little more popular down south.
    I know that there is at least one cabrio in Oz. It was seen in Sydney's Eastern Suburbs a few years back.
    Maybe the 16v and cabrio were sold in NZ, it would be cheaper and less risky to import from there I would think!
    I agree that the sedan is better looking than the hatch!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Icon11

I think the sedan looks better than the hatch myself also. The convertibles nevr came out here as far as i know. The 16 v also never came out here it was a nice car indeed.

Thread Information